Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Holy shit did you just write that?
    Why?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    Anyone with any info on the storm yellow flash vs yellow sensor? The storm flash has a rose base tint as opposed to yellow for the sensor. I was thinking the yellow would be the best for flat light but the smith guy says the chromapop will be better.
    Just a wild guess: they want to push the new products and convince peaple who have the old lenses to get the new ones too.

I used in two following days with similar conditions the blue sensor and the first CP storm.
    It was no white out, but bad weather, partly foggy.
    I can easily tell which lens is which, but honestly I cannot tell that the one is better than the other one,
    Since, accordingly to theory, it's a matter of tricking the brain I assume it's quite subjective and depends upon how each single brain works.

I skied with my new blackout chromapops in my I/OXs yesterday. It was overcast out and decently flat. The only other lense I had with me was a clear and I wasn't about to use that. The new chromapoop seemed no different than my old blackout lense. Maybe a sunny day will make a difference. I had high hopes that they would come close to the prizms but I don't think the Smiths can touch the Oakleys.

I have a new yellow sensor on my IO/X and have managed to put a few scratches into it already in under 10 days from dealing with ice fog. Ugh, annoying.

For a die hard yellow sensor guy, is CP storm yellow flash a good proxy? Is the lens coating any more durable than sensor series? This is for wet Whistler storm skiing type conditions so not concerned about performance in variable/sun, I have the ignitor mirror and some others for that.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Why?
    Guilt? has to be guilt - he went out and got 800$ worth of lenses!

Or, he's a Smith plant. How many of us are going to go out and buy 8 lenses to perform a field study?

Norviking, you wanna recoup some of your loss? I'm looking for used (unscratched) chromopop.
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Mammoth. SoCal. Hood. Park skier market. Hell, park skiers in CO. But yeah, point taken generally.

I concur that the Storm Yellow is the most attractive.
    I'll start out with the everyday lens and keep the Chroma Pop Sun in my jacket. Once most of the mountain is getting sun I'll switch over. I like it mostly for when you're riding the lift up and are directly in the sun. While they aren't the best in the trees they're very manageable.

Storm Yellow is awesome. Flat light really messes with me and they're the best lens I've used for those conditions. Previously I've tried Spy and Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Why?
    If my math is correct, that dude spent $1,700 just on lenses. What a freak.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    If my math is correct, that dude spent $1,700 just on lenses. What a freak.
    Don’t hate. He sees every bump and compression on the mountain when you don’t... well worth $1700???

Have a Chromapop red sun lens and it's been brilliant so far this season. Probably has the widest span of conditions I have used from low light (but not flat) all the way to bluebird (whistler mid-winter bluebird though). Strongly recommend.

Also have the yellow Chromapop for low light. Nearly as good as a clear for dark late in the day ski outs, good in flat light. Don't think it's noticeably better than standard yellow sensor though. Maybe. Good lens still.

Read through the thread but didn't see the photochromic discussed much. Do they work well enough to be a one lens option? If not, what is your one lens choice for 90% of mid-winter days? I'm generally too cheap to buy the interchangeable lens goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Read through the thread but didn't see the photochromic discussed much. Do they work well enough to be a one lens option? If not, what is your one lens choice for 90% of mid-winter days? I'm generally too cheap to buy the interchangeable lens goggles.
    Most times I just use my chromapop storm lens. I don’t ski much bluebird days and it works great for low light and variable light. Not the best at pure whiteout like old Oakley HI yellow. But that would burn my eyes if any sun poked through
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Have you seen this thread?
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...gles-on-Amazon

I ran the ChromaPop Photochromic Rose Flash every day in my I/O 7s last year, and have continued doing so since finding them again this year. I'm a big fan of photochromic not because I'm too cheap, but I don't want to carry spare lenses. I prefer polarized, but polarized photochromic is hard to come by in ski goggles.

I'm not 100% sure they're as good as a dedicated low-light lens at 3:30 in the afternoon in December, am I'm 100% sure they're not as good as a sunny-day lens in bright sunshine at 10k feet, but they work well enough in both those conditions that I don't feel a need to carry additional lenses.

BUMP..... Time to either get new Prizm lens for my Oakleys or thinking about trying smiths.

I have poor distance vision and am noticeably having a harder time in flat light, like can't see or ski shit.....

So new smiths vs Prizm....?
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

No experience with Prizms, but I share your problems with flat light and ski in it a lot with Chromapops, which work great for me in Eastern gloom conditions.

CP photochromic rose = daily driver variable conditions and good/very good in flat light
    CP storm yellow = storm days, dark afternoons, great in flat light
    CP mirrored dark whatever = fry your retinas on the sidewalk days

I use the I/OX which is easy enough to switch out with little lever gizmos. But if I were starting fresh I'd probably get whatever they call the magnet version which would be even easier.

Not goggles, but I thought smith chromapop sunglasses were better than oakley's high end polarized equivalent

I have the older photochromatic lens, pre-CP. It has AWFUL contrast. Is the CP one better?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Not as much as is being touted. Maybe 10%... 15 at the most - crisper definition ime
    ​I am not in your hurry

My non photochromatic sensor lenses have better contrast than the photochromatic sensor red mirror.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I will try both out today at shop (outside) and report back. Fack new goggles are pricey. Leaning towards new lenses for that reason alone. I am thinking I might just start wearing my glasses under the goggles. Turning 40 next week so might as well go full dad.

Quote Originally Posted by ts01 View Post
    No experience with Prizms, but I share your problems with flat light and ski in it a lot with Chromapops, which work great for me in Eastern gloom conditions.

CP photochromic rose = daily driver variable conditions and good/very good in flat light
    CP storm yellow = storm days, dark afternoons, great in flat light
    CP mirrored dark whatever = fry your retinas on the sidewalk days

I use the I/OX which is easy enough to switch out with little lever gizmos. But if I were starting fresh I'd probably get whatever they call the magnet version which would be even easier.

Agree with el hefe that goggle and lens prices are completely stupid and have gone up way too much... my comparison is Ray Ban sunglasses which haven't jumped much in 10 years beyond inflation.

I have a similar setup actually on my IO/X (have two IO/X frames, one in pack in case one breaks while skiing)

CP photochromic rose flash = I find this only good if the sun is mostly out. Flat light/trees/end of touring day mid-winter it is waaaaaay too dark/low contrast for me, takes a while to adapt to changing light. I got this free from Smith warranty after bitching about how easily my Yellow Sensor scratched.
    CP storm yellow flash = feels like yellow sensor to me, maybe it's marginally better? Awesome storm lens either way, my favourite.
    non-CP green mirror = spring sun/touring
    non-CP everyday rose = sometimes use on mixed days

I honestly just leave the yellow flash in November-Feb unless it's high pressure sun. Even a bit of cloud I prefer to ski that lens, although we do not ski toward the sun much this time of year. March-May usually the everyday rose and green mirror. I will try the photochromic this spring and see how it does.

I have a work buddy that used to work for a company that had a promo deal with Oakley. He still has access to a once a year deal where he can get his Oakley glasses or goggles for 70% off. So, yes, Oakley, and Smith really mark the crap out of their products.

I have set of Prizm Torch Iridium lenses. They are good in moderate sun or cloudy conditions. A good everyday lens. IME, Good contrast and definition.

I bought a set of H.I. Yellow Oakley lenses but haven't tried them out yet. Probably give them a shot this weekend based on the weather.

I still have the old Smith Blue sensor mirror and really like those goggles for flat/low light.

I do have a set of Bronze Prizm prescription sun glasses, and they are fantastic for just about any type of light condition.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I used smith blue sensor for decades
    I like the standard chromapop storm much better.
    Never tried the lighter CP lens. I’m sure it’s great in no light, but I prefer a lens I can wear even if the sun pops out.
    Don’t really use the sun lenses since I prefer sunglasses. YMMV
    . . .

Tried out both and felt the Oakley Prizm was better for me. Not a huge difference but went with the persimmon. Price was a major deciding factor, my current frames are in great condition and my glasses fit underneath.

How does chromepop and similar reflective coatings from Oakley and Scott hold up to a skigee? Today was a major skigee day. I’d hate to scratch new lenses with fancy reflective coating. If no skigee, what to peeps do?