Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Got the transition chromapop and am impressed. It goes 20-50% and so far so good. Have chroma storm, transitions and blackout. Lobe the warranty and fan. The Oakley hi intensity was best in low light but any sun would burn.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I've had a chance to put 4-5 days now on some new Smith lenses for the first time in 5+ years. I've had Anon M2s since then. As previously noted in a separate thread, I found the durability of the coating on Anon's Blue Lagoon lens to be unacceptable in the PNW environment. A few ski-gee rubs on one session and it was toast (unintended bonus is that it's now my best high VLT night-skiing lens). I also had moderate issues with fogging and could not hold my head at certain angles on the lift. The hotter I got, the bigger the issue.

So far, the opposite seems to be the case with the Smith's. I was working a race course this weekend, slipping, raking, and shoveling. Lots of hulk-smash on slalom ruts yesterday. I was freezing cold at the top of the course and then sweating my balls off during the cross-fit shovel workouts. I noticed a tiny amount of fog earlier in the morning, but then none during my freeze/sweat cycle as the day progressed.
    Very impressive on the fogging. Model in question was IO/7. I used both everyday green mirror CP, and storm rose flash CP.

I knew I wanted to upgrade optics and durability from my Anons. The optics weren't bad on those, but I felt like they could be better. Narrowed it down to smith and oakley. Living room and back yard testing resulted in me leaving the oakleys in the box at home to return. Lenses in question: Prizm Jade and Hi-Pink.

BIG QUESTION: Have you ever had a goggle that seemed like it would be total dogshit based on the living-room/back-yard test end up kicking ass on the mountain?

I'm not a guy who really likes to return gear if it's been used, but shit... I suppose I could take the Oaks up the lift in a backpack in their box, sit down on a log with my MSR stove and some bacon, and have a little lunch-time glassing session to verify Chromapop is still the winner.

Oakleys aside, the Smiths have been impressive so far. Storm rose flash does not have any discernible rose-colored tint effect like some lenses. It's bright AF. Bright enough for night skiing IMO, but haven't tried it yet. Despite that, it's much more tolerant of sunlight than my previous low light lenses (anon's blue lagoon). My kid skied that lens all day in all conditions and didn't complain. The everyday green mirror CP, however, is surprisingly darker than it seems like they would be in the living room. It definitely got too dark outside for me at 3:30pm in gray, overcast skies. My Anon red solex lenses were much more versatile in that regard. Really cut out the sun on all but glacier bluebird conditions, but never felt too terribly dark when light got low.

I'll echo previous reviews that the Green CP from smith turns your whole world pink for a few seconds. And not just a little bit, but like a ridiculously noticeable amount. Thing is though... that sensation goes away after a few seconds and then everything just looks perfect... until you take them off and then you get the opposite effect for a few seconds where everything looks greenish-yellow in an unnatural way. No gripes here as the eye totally adjusts and I never thought twice after those first few seconds. Zero eye fatigue issues. I could wear these all day--especially the storm rose flash CP.

Lastly, a word on ChromaPop. I thought it was a gimmick, but I'm pretty sure it's a real thing that really helps contrast. I have tall fescue grass in my back yard (stay with me here), which loses its color more than ryegrass in the winter. Putting on any other goggles, the difference between the yellowing blades and the green blades is the same delta, just slightly different levels of light and hue. But both flavors of chromapop lens NOTICEABLY increase the delta between the yellow and green blades of grass. Same thing with the little red berries on whatever that tree is over there, and the shingles on my neighbor's roof, and that moss on that tree trunk, etc.

Once I find time to do my bacon picnic goggle test, I can comment more on whether the same contrast enhancement applies to snow and shadows thereon.

Only gripe so far: lens change sucks balls. Anon spoils you there. Oh, and I think all goggles lack durability as far as minor scratches on the outer lens.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    BIG QUESTION: Have you ever had a goggle that seemed like it would be total dogshit based on the living-room/back-yard test end up kicking ass on the mountain?
    Yes, the CP everyday green that you mentioned. When I looked through them in my back yard literally everything was on the pink-to-purple spectrum. I left the plastic film on them and took them to the mountain on a not a cloud in the sky day where I hiked around behind the lot with my dogs, going from full sun to between the trees and back to sun. It was only then that I knew they would work.

I'm with you on the anon m2. The frame is much better than the smith mag (lots of people have broken the clips), and I find it more comfortable as well, but the lenses don't compare.

Can't say what those oakleys will be like, but I'm not in love with either of the CP storm lenses in flat light.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I'm with you on the anon m2. The frame is much better than the smith mag (lots of people have broken the clips),
    Which clip? I broke two sets of mags last season where the clip that connects the headband to the frame broke. The distributor told me there was a production error and that the new batches didn't have this issue. The last one I got was from this new batch and has held up fine since then. And it's taken a lot of abuse.

Yeah, that's it. Mine are from last season, and are still fine, but I'm super careful with them.

I didn't realize it was a production error.

So don’t ski-gee the outside of the reflective lenses cuz it’ll make them explode?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    So don’t ski-gee the outside of the reflective lenses cuz it’ll make them explode?
    I've had I/Os for years and never noticed any issues using a ski gee. Only got a Chromapop lens for them recently, but haven't noticed any issues with that one either. Was skiing with it yesterday.

Possible if you rubbed the inside of the lens you might have issues? But I try not to do that as a general rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I've ski-gee'd a shit ton of goggles with Mt Hood as home base. Never had this happen on another pair. Others have noted same issue on same lens in other threads.

Got new i/o mag xl’s.
    Not super stoked on chromapop sun green mirror. Great for bright sunny days in the open but if you get into any shadows or dive into some trees they’re awful and i can’t make out any definition.
    That said I’m liking the chromapop storm rose which seems work well across a fairly big range of conditions for me.
    Also liking the mag system for swapping lenses - used to carry two pair in my boot bag but don’t need to anymore.

Anyone have experience with the CP Sun Platinum mirror? Shopping the 4D Mag and lots of combos are sold out, I'll use the storm rose flash 90% of the time here in NE but wondering if the sun platinum is too limited compared to the everyday green.

Thanks for the skigee scratching responses. I’m an active skigee’er but have shied away from reflective lense goggles in the past. I’m excited and the bank acct will recover!

The everyday lenses are a great compromise.
    I can’t see using a sun lens unless your on a glacier in spring or summer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A5AD2325-2401-4AE8-A9BE-8E81543BE3E3.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	274.4 KB 
ID:	312587
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post

Lastly, a word on ChromaPop. I thought it was a gimmick, but I'm pretty sure it's a real thing that really helps contrast. I have tall fescue grass in my back yard (stay with me here), which loses its color more than ryegrass in the winter. Putting on any other goggles, the difference between the yellowing blades and the green blades is the same delta, just slightly different levels of light and hue. But both flavors of chromapop lens NOTICEABLY increase the delta between the yellow and green blades of grass. Same thing with the little red berries on whatever that tree is over there, and the shingles on my neighbor's roof, and that moss on that tree trunk, etc.
    so chromopop is the lens of choice for mowing your lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    so chromopop is the lens of choice for mowing your lawn.
    Probably more for fertilizing and spot watering.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk