Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The maggot known as Telepath

Hey folks. I'm very sorry to need to share the news that Bjarke, aka Telepath, passed away a few days before Christmas. He died unexpectedly but peacefully in his sleep. The cause of his death is not yet know. He was 39 and left his wife and 3 sons.

HOP has shared some memories here. If you knew Bjarke, do feel free to share your reminiscences. Bjarke's family have asked to keep comments about his passing off social media - please respect this. And finally, I know this is TGR, but bear in mind his kids are likely to see this so keep it clean and good natured.

A lot of maggots who were around in the Powder days will remember Bjarke. He was a ripping skier and one of the solidest people with whom to be in the mountains. Whatever he turned his hand to - competitive sprinting, skiing, work, or other stuff - he did with a super-human intensity of purpose. Knowing him was a privilege, and for me was one of the finest friendships to come out of these weird skiing message boards.

I originally met Bjarke through *ahem* Telemarktips and Descender. He soon persuaded me I should come and spend a few weeks of my university summer holiday at the summer ski field in Stryn - "get the bus [8 hours?] from Oslo, I'll meet you, you'll know me by my 'Fistful of Maggots' t-shirt, I'll find you a pass and a place to stay." I did, he did, I did, he did and he did. Good times followed including daylight turns, midnight turns, huge pendulum swings under road bridges, cliff jumping into fjords and other good, clean fun. It was the first time I met someone from the internet and I'm pretty sure I assumed everyone online was this cool in real life.

The following winter we found ourselves on opposite sides of the Col De Lautaret, him in Serre Chevalier, me in La Grave. The fun continued, including a lot more skiing, sauna poaching, occasional comical shifts in the hotel kitchen where he was washing dishes and regular hot tub poaching.

It easy to underestimate the amount Bjarke taught me. In many ways he was like a big brother in the mountains, always encouraging me to step it up, but meanwhile keeping my ass out of trouble. Amongst the things I learnt from him: Powdermag.com was way more fun that telemarktips; telemark is cool, but it's still stupid; telemark, and indeed all skiing, is more fun with big, stiff skis - the bigger and stiffer the better; it's cool to back off skiing something you have a bad feeling about; it's not cool to take stupid or unconsidered risks in the mountains; big turns, fast and flowing style is cool. Let's all agree not talk about the mullets.

I didn't realise it at the time, but as well as learning a huge amount about skiing from Bjarke, I also picked up an enormous amount from him about being a generally stand up person. Having principles and sticking to them, working for your goals and how to be a person of substance. A pretty great example that has stood me well.

Over the next few years we skied together plenty, including a while rooming in La Grave, but eventually our paths led in different directions, him to Norway, business school and a serious job, me to London. It was one of the unusual but excellent skiing friendships that endured, even when the biggest thing we had in common was mostly gone from both out lives; whenever I saw him (which was only every few years) it was always like no time had passed. Strange how you can know how much you'll miss you someone you latterly saw so rarely. :-/

Name:  26259_437206445224_1834100_n.jpeg
Views: 1482
Size:  32.9 KB
    Name:  216755_19423225224_2708_n.jpeg
Views: 1481
Size:  54.6 KB
    Name:  217151_19423160224_9998_n.jpeg
Views: 1486
Size:  41.2 KB
    Name:  217563_19423230224_3000_n.jpeg
Views: 1896
Size:  74.1 KB
    Name:  225294_19423250224_7796_n.jpeg
Views: 1505
Size:  80.1 KB
    Name:  12071173_711340062330661_1457100114_n.jpeg
Views: 1727
Size:  60.3 KB
    Last edited by Mulletizer; 01-03-2017 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Adding pictures

This is sad news to hear. Bjarke was one of the skiers I aspired to so many years ago when I was learning to telemark. RIP
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Very Sad. RIP. While we never met, he was a very well liked and respected person by many I like and respect.

It is crazy to reflect on the amount of history that has passed through these ski forums, for better and worse.

RIP maggot. Rest easy now.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Oh no Very sorry for your loss.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Just saw this. Wow. RIP Telepath.

☹️ Rip

RIP

I remember this shot and it's how I'll remember him.
    May your spirit soar, Telepath.

terrible news, my thoughts are with his family and friends.
    off your knees Louie

Thanks for sharing your memories.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Nice one, Pat. That one made it onto the cover of a Scandi mag - Fri Flyt, I think. Amongst us it became known as the covershot couloir.

Wow. Too young.
    Legend has it that the powder in Valhalla is waist deep every day.
    . . .

Mulletizer, That's a great remembrance of your friend. You learned his lessons well and that's a great tribute to his memory. RIP Telepath.

Condolences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

He had the same influence on me as he did on Mulletizer.

Initially I only knew him as a ski hero from the internet, but then we became actual, real-life friends, traveled around and adventured together for a couple of seasons(see the link in the 1st post), and then when our paths diverged his presence continued in a sort of Obi-Wan capacity. When I look back at my life and where I am now it's clear he's one of the most influential people I have met along the way.

I was wearing my "Fistful of Maggots" shirt as well when I first met Mulletizer in La Grave, on that same trip where I met Telepath for the first time.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    I was wearing my "Fistful of Maggots" shirt as well when I first met Mulletizer in La Grave, on that same trip where I met Telepath for the first time.
    Those shirts should have come with a health warning.

Serious bummer. Sounds like one sold mag.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Wow. Too young.
    Legend has it that the powder in Valhalla is waist deep every day.
    This, on both levels. Very sad
    Shred in Peace Telepath
    Condolences to his wife & sons, Mulletizer, Hop and other friends
    Nice memorials

Sorry to hear of Bjarke's passing. Condolences to his young family. I recall his detailed ski reviews, trip reports from way up north and overriding enthusiasm. Glad to hear he lived his life as fully and present as he chased skiing. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletizer View Post
    Those shirts should have come with a health warning.
    Or a "friends for life" warning.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

So sorry to hear. Ride in peace Telepath. Condolences to friends and fam..
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Condolences to you, Mulletizer, and to his family.

may the pow be deep and the beer cold wherever Telepath is making turns !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Sorry to hear about this. I saw this in the middle of the night, clicked on hop's link and ended up getting sucked in and reading the entire thing. Sounds like he was a great person