Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Stop skiing like such a puss and buy some technicas.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by plurpimpin View Post
    Are they really working on a MTN 2.0 though? The boot just came out a year or two ago, that'd be a real quick design cycle. I remember seeing pics of the pro's boots (Specifically Cody Townsend) with the third strap before the MTN boots were even available to the public. I always assumed it was a just a mod folks were doing.
    I bet they add that mod in, it probably doesn't change the production cycle too much.

But just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Stop skiing like such a puss and buy some technicas.
    Not all of us own one of those fancy snow machines...

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    I bet they add that mod in, it probably doesn't change the production cycle too much.

But just a guess.
    I would assume they would have to redo the mould in order to have some beefy spots for the buckle rivets. I would also think they would try to use the ankle pivot as the ankle strap attachment point. It might require a little more R&D than one would think.
    I like huge dumps.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengarbageman View Post
    Not all of us own one of those fancy snow machines...

I would assume they would have to redo the mould in order to have some beefy spots for the buckle rivets. I would also think they would try to use the ankle pivot as the ankle strap attachment point. It might require a little more R&D than one would think.
    Probably depends where they put that new buckle. If they put it on the ankle pivot point itself I believe that is an independent part from the rest of the mold so it would not require too much.

But I'm just armchair QBing here.

I remember looking at a picture of that boot the 1st time and thinking " hmm only 2 buckles? "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post

But just a guess.
    Are you familiar with injection molding plastic? Generally you can't just change a mold, even if its a small change. Usually you have to completely remake the mold which for large ones (like a ski boot) can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars per mold and with boots you'd need one for each size. At work I've seen $150,000 molds get thrown in the trash because of a small error in the design that wasn't caught before sending the CAD off to the machine shop.

To make money with plastic parts you invest alot into your tooling and then have to pump out MANY MANY MANY parts to get your investment back. I just can't see solly retooling molds this soon after releasing the boot just to add an instep buckle, it might make it a better boot but it doesn't make sense financially which lets be honest is what Salomon/Amer really care about.

It'd be cool to see an instep buckle added but I wouldn't hold my breath on Solly doing it anytime soon. Maybe a few years down the line but I'm sure it would be part of a much more significant redesign than just accommodating a third buckle. If its what you really want I'd start drilling my boots and adding a buckle myself rather than waiting for salomon to do it because that could be a long wait.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, just because you see the pros with something doesn't mean it will become available to the public. Pros regularly get one off and modified gear to accommodate their unique needs/fill a gap in their sponsor's product line that they don't make. Hell there have been instances of pro Mountain Bike racers riding bikes from completely different manufacturers with their bike sponsor's stickers on it.

salomom boys just said there's something on the air after the X-alp
    so I presume they work on a new mountain lab
    two hypothesis :
    - they just add a diagonal buckle, drill a part the old molds this spring to produce a small quantities for next year, that's give them the time to R/D an new model for 2020 without making new molds
    so not a big change, but as always it's often better to keep an old receipt (2 years are you joking?) with adjustment to give its best
    than drastic change

- or they become king of teasing for a new model (and pricey molds) for 2018/2019
    but it wil be the fist time we will see a 2 years teasing...
    Last edited by buenonda; 01-06-2017 at 03:04 PM. Reason: orthographe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170106_230313.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	196595

Eating my words because those are sexy. Still no third buckle tho

Also pissed because i really like my MTN explores but if those come out i might have to drop more cash... Is that a carbon cuff?

^I just realized that if Salomon was going to introduce a third buckle, they would have done it on that boot since that is for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by buenonda View Post

Name:	IMG_20170106_230313.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	196595
    Looks like they took some design from the Arc'teryx boot. (Both Amer companies).
    "... when I turn, I just hope it hits me in the face."--Shroder Baker/Under the Influence

this thread makes me wonder how much input/control Hoji had on the Vulcan

cuz Dynafit sure did a lot of things right

ferinstance a pivot to pivot instep buckle
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-07-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengarbageman View Post
    scavenging the ankle strap off of some of the Scarpa models.
    here's a scarpa, held up very well. not sure this would work on oversized soli pivot rivet.

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	196617

Name:	unnamed2.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	196618

Wow man!

It may be kinda scratched up but I'm sure it sez dynafit eh?

That buckle is branded as well.

Name:	salomon-mtn-collective-mtn-lab-boot.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	196656

It would be ideal to drill out the ankle pivot to add the ankle strap there, but after looking at the upper cuff the boot doesn't leave any room for that strap to tighten the lower boot.

Any thoughts of trimming the upper cuff? Would it soften the flex?
    I like huge dumps.

yes. trimming the upper cuff is a bad idea, it change the flex

the easiest thing if you want a third buckle is to put the second buckle at a lowest point.
    it will give a better ankle wrap witch give a very close effect to the diagonal buckle :-)

roughly dril in the middle of the mountain in the mtn logo

Quote Originally Posted by ARpowhound View Post
    Looks like they took some design from the Arc'teryx boot. (Both Amer companies).
    Was looking at the wild snow article and it said solly is using the molds from the Arcteryx so in alot of ways it is the same boot just with a few tweaks

Just following up to see if any Mags actually ever did this mod?

Does the MTN lab have the endofit style tongue that attaches to the stock liner? Guessing it does not based on the pic below with Intuition liners? I've got the QST Pro 130 and I'm trying to make a new pair of Intuition Dreamliners fit in them, but the tongue doesn't close correctly with the new liners.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Does the MTN lab have the endofit style tongue that attaches to the stock liner? Guessing it does not based on the pic below with Intuition liners? I've got the QST Pro 130 and I'm trying to make a new pair of Intuition Dreamliners fit in them, but the tongue doesn't close correctly with the new liners.
    Bumping an old thread, but did you ever get the Dreamliners to work out? I also have a pair of QST Pros and the liners are gonna be shot about halfway through this season. I'm trying to find out what others are doing about the endofit tongue situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Just following up to see if any Mags actually ever did this mod?
    Also bumping, want to see everyone's instep buckle mods. I fixed the heel hold issue with some ankle wrap pads on the liner, but I think the liner is packing out to the point that this won't be super effective soon.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Bumping an old thread, but did you ever get the Dreamliners to work out? I also have a pair of QST Pros and the liners are gonna be shot about halfway through this season. I'm trying to find out what others are doing about the endofit tongue situation.
    Good timing for this question - I just heat molded one of them a couple days ago. I emailed Intuition after I originally posted the question, and they said that yes, it will fit. I also spoke with a bootfitter who said he skied in the QST Pros w/ a Dreamliner.

After heating them, I got them to fit in the boot and was able to close the buckles on the the first tooth of each buckle. It was a damn near impossible fit until they are heated. The Dreamliners are shorter than the QST Pro liners, so the top part of the tongue is exposed. I sure wish Salomon didn't design the tongue of the boot to "work" just with the stock liner.

Even though the contact between the Dreamliner and the tongue isn't perfect, I didn't notice a difference in how the boot felt when buckled in between the liners. We will see once I ski them...

I'll post some pics soon on my setup.