Haute Route Ski: Thoughts?

There's a moderate to strong chance I'll head to Europe next year to ski the Haute route (well, the "second half" with a buddy who got weathered out of the whole route a few years back). Just in the initial planning phase, so no details on when etc. However, I'm obviously excited about a new set-up, so lets start shopping.

Things I know:
    1. Mounted with tech bindings.
    2. Hopefully versatile enough to use back home in Colorado.
    3. The skin:ski ratio is not favorable.

Things I don't know:
    1. How crappy the skiing is going to be
    2. How important a narrower waisted ski is.

About me:
    5'11". 165lbs. Competent skier. Not the best, flashiest, spinniest, fastest on the mountain. Just the guy who always seems to be right there.

Skis I've liked: I can see the positive attributes in lots of skis.
    My current 3 ski quiver is:
    1. 191 Lhasa's
    2. 185 Rossignol Scimitars (narrowest ski I've been on in a long while).
    3. 190 Wailer 112s.

I like them all for different reasons and I'm down with making a choice day to day or living with some undesirable attributes. ie. I don't like "one ski quivers"

Other skis liked in no particular order
    190 Lotus 120's
    192 Lotus 138s
    LPs
    Explosivs (still have some, but rarely take them out, just can't let go).

For the Haute Route ski, I can see it going 1 of 2 ways:
    1. I get a versatile ski that I can use for lighter weight touring at home. Something around 100mm, moderately light, some slight tip and tail rocker (e.g. 4Frnt Raven, Wailer 99 pure etc)

2. I get a ski that is essential disposable. Something perfect for the Haute Route, but that I'll sell as soon as we're back. Something with low tip rocker, light, short, narrow, and lame. (I don't know much about these skis)

Those who have done it or spent time in those zones, what says ye?
    Last edited by XtrPickels; 01-02-2017 at 12:15 PM.

The problem with the Haute Route is you never know what you are going to get, so the best option is to take a versital ski. Go too skin and light, and it will suck if get good snow. Take big fat powder boards and it will suck if it is hard and icy. When I went last year conditions were super sucks at the start and turned to foot deep pow at the end. I skied Dynafit Grand Tetons, and was happy with the choice (100mm underfoot). I skied with Francis Kelsey www.nosiesta.com if you need a guide, he us an American giding in Europe for 25+ years there. He does the Gordy camps there, and he feels somewhere in the 99-105 range is a good choice. Some guides are real into skinny skies for the traverse, but they ski there day in and day out, so are used to skinny skins. I haven't skied anything less then 99 in or ten years, so I am used to fatter skis, so take what you are most used to.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Depends when and how. I skied it in late March, and skied powder the whole way. My regular powder touring boards worked great. Later season frozen and corn conditions would suit a different setup. Also, I took my time, fitting in some lift assisted laps and hitting classic lines in the vicinity rather than sticking to the autobahn, while others treat it like a skimo race.

Don't overthink it. There isn't such a thing as an "Haute Route" ski, people take all kinds of setups, but something between 95mm and 105mm with medium weight tech bindings is probably the sweet spot. There are many great choices - among them, Wailer 99 P3, Blizzard Zero G 95, Salomon MTN Explore 95, Line Sick Day Tourist, G3 FINDr 102, Black Diamond Helio 95 and 105, etc. Despite not liking "quiver of one" solutions, that's all you're going to be able to carry, so pick one and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Some guides are real into skinny skies for the traverse, but they ski there day in and day out, so are used to skinny skins.
    Yes, many Euro guides take this approach (one step up from a rando race setup) and it works fine for them - not so much for their clients who don't possess the same skill set in variable snow . . .

The problem with the Haute Route is you never know what you are going to get, so the best option is to take a versital ski. Go too skin and light, and it will suck if get good snow. Take big fat powder boards and it will suck if it is hard and icy. When I went last year conditions were super sucks at the start and turned to foot deep pow at the end. I skied Dynafit Grand Tetons, and was happy with the choice (100mm underfoot). I skied with Francis Kelsey www.nosiesta.com if you need a guide, he us an American giding in Europe for 25+ years there. He does the Gordy camps there, and he feels somewhere in the 99-105 range is a good choice. Some guides are real into skinny skies for the traverse, but they ski there day in and day out, so are used to skinny skins. I haven't skied anything less then 99 in or ten years, so I am used to fatter skis, so take what you are most used to.
    the GT is just a Stoke that Dynafit had to relabel when Greg Hill moved to Salomon, when you buy skins for a stoke the box even sez GT or maybe it was the other way round but anyhow they are 106 or 108 depending on length, fairly light ski tho and good in pow
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Don't overthink it. There isn't such a thing as an "Haute Route" ski, people take all kinds of setups, but something between 95mm and 105mm with medium weight tech bindings is probably the sweet spot. .
    Sounds good to me.

I haven't done the Haute Route, but I have done a few week long tours in Europe. I've used 76mm, 86mm and 95mm waisted skis for these tours, My favorite European touring ski is the Black Diamond Revert / Link 95.
    Last edited by Oceanic; 01-03-2017 at 01:27 AM.

Your ski options seem on the long side for the ski mountaineering parts. I skied the Haute Route on similar length skis and found it made uphill kick turns on steepish slopes kind of awkward and sketchy. Something to consider, unless you already know you'll be comfortable on the long skis.

I sound a lot like you (height/weight/style) and did the HR on a 171 Zero G 85 and loved it. I continue to love it for CO ski mountaineering and fitness skinning.

You hear correct that there isn't a very good ratio of skin:ski on the HR so light is ideal (and as mentioned above there are a lot of awkward steep icy kick turns, so short is good too), and the short ZG85 handled everything I ran in to pretty well. I also have the 184 W99P and was more than happy to have the ZG instead.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

175-180cm, 95-100mm.

Done, and good for a spring/long tour ski when you are back home.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the GT is just a Stoke that Dynafit had to relabel when Greg Hill moved to Salomon, when you buy skins for a stoke the box even sez GT or maybe it was the other way round but anyhow they are 106 or 108 depending on length, fairly light ski tho and good in pow
    Off topic, but the GT was reworked a good bit from the stoke. Same dames ions buy changes in the core (more rubber I believe) and I think some changes in profile.

Either way, at 105 it is not too fat for most HR conditions and fun if you get some good snow. Light enough to skin or carry but substantial enough to ski.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Zero G 85
    I agree. Great ski.

I love my Praxis Yetis for variable days when I'm likely to ski wind-burnt to a bit of fresh snow. 94 underfoot, light. Maybe too much tip rocker for something like the Haute Route in nasty conditions. But it makes them great in 6" of fresh.

Then again, I like turning far more often than most people on this forum it seems.

I'm local to you if they make your short list and you want to check them out.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 01-03-2017 at 09:30 AM.

these are you need

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RossignolHauteRoutee.jpeg 
Views:	377 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	196358

Off topic, but the GT was reworked a good bit from the stoke. Same dames ions buy changes in the core (more rubber I believe) and I think some changes in profile.

Either way, at 105 it is not too fat for most HR conditions and fun if you get some good snow. Light enough to skin or carry but substantial enough to ski.
    well the shape is exactly the same cuz the length/width specific lazer cut pomoca skins fit either stoke or GT, maybe some slightly different layers in the core cuz I do see some skinny black lines in the core that arent in the Stoke

After a radical heelpiece was found to have loose screws (big suprise!) my long time stoke driving buddy whom is a very good skier borrowed some GT's at Burnie hut so I quizzed him ... sez they skied the same

I agree its a good ski for touring I have kept them around
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I skied the Haute Rt on Crossbows, O1's and T-1s with overlap liners.
    I had a great time.

Since then, I have done a few similar tours, and am mostly alpine.

My Go To set up right now is Carbon Converts/Vipecs/Spectres. Would be very happy on this set up for an Houte Route trip. Personally, I don't really see an issue with that width, even among the skinny ski Euros. Edging icy stuff just isn't really a problem

The earlier suggestion for the link/revert sounds great as well

ZeroG 85 or 95. Done deal.

Then keep em for US rockies mountaineering/spring corn harvests. 171 or 178. You won't regret it

In keeping with auvgeek's comments about what ski you'd tour the entire Winter (here in Colorado), I'm putting more time on a pair of Down Countdown 102's which I coincidentally purchased from him.

I'm mainly thrown' this out as a confirmation of category of ski that I'd want to have for touring in a wide range of conditions - much like the Zero G 95 & 108, Yeti, etc. - mid 90's to mid 100's.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-04-2017 at 04:09 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

You can easily rent touring skis w/ tech bindings in Cham. Plenty of selection too. Never been anywhere with better ski and mountain shops than Cham.

^thats a good point.

Go speak to colin or graham in 'sports alpin' the shop on the corner at opposite the base of the midi. Tell them I sent you!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1483585945.916079.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  256.7 KB