Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    What I had a hard time with on arcteryx was the gore weight thickness. It was always thin and just seemed like it would tear the first time I threw skis on shoulder. The norrona and westcomb gear I have looks the same as the day I bought it like 5 years ago. No tears
    That is why it is important to know why a jacket or pants tore. If I got attacked by a siberian tiger, I would expect the fabric to tear. If I lightly brush a tree, or throw skis on my shoulder, I would not expect it to tear. If it does, the garment is not living up to its expected function, and should be warrantied. I had an issue with a Patagucci jacket. It had these horrid barely functional zippers, so I took it back to the Ventura store (at their headquarters.) I said I didn't like the style of the jacket and was told they don't warranty a product because you don't like the style i.e. the look. I said it was not the look, but the style but zippers they used, they were nearly non-functional, etc. They said, oh, if it is not functioning to your satisfaction, then yes it is covered, and they gave me a refund (I believe in store credit, but I cant remember for sure.) It was a really nice jacket fabric wise, but who ever designed it never used it.

Another vote for Patty's warranty department. Speaking of torn fabric, I sliced the crotch open on a pair of Patty pants with my ski edge in a tumble. Repaired at no cost. Totally my fault, but fully covered. Even Carhartt's would have torn.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Recently went through the Arc'teryx warranty process and came out the other side with the opinion that their warranty is not shit in the slightest, but is in fact, THE shit.

My nearly 10yr old Canadian Sidewinder AR (?) had probably 250+ days on it. I'm not very hard on my gear, but even still, the thing was faded but otherwise in great shape. The powder skirt was delaminating, and I considered cutting it off and moving on with my life, but got bored on my lunch break one day and hit up the Denver store to inquire about a repair. They evaluated it, and ended up offering full replacement. Generous to say the least IMO - I'd gotten more than my fair share of use out of it and they owed me nothing.

Worth noting - the "evaluation process" is shockingly slow - it took over a month. If I needed the gear replaced in any sort of timeframe I'd be bummed, but as explained above, the outcome of my situation was more than I deserved.

Even with the impressive lifespan of my old jacket and the great warranty experience, I can't believe how much a deadbird jacket costs in 2017. $725 is the retail on the replacement. I've sold a mostly functioning car for less than that. Crazy.

I recently sent back an old Alpha Comp Hoody-gore-tex hybrid soft shell jacket. I wore it as my main touring shell for years. Over time I began to have some delimitation of the gore-text. The jacket also had some fairly hard ware and tear.
    It took a couple weeks just for Arc'teryx to get the jacket and then to eval it...

About 4 weeks into the process I got an email from one of their evaluators- Pamela. She told me the jacket is not repairable and offered to replace it with a new Procline Comp jacket-which, compared to the retail cost of my original jacket, is about $100 more- an upgrade!

This is the first time I've dealt with Arc'teryx and despite the kinda slow turn-around, am super impressed at their customer service. Patagonia, Flylow, Arc'teryx- my top three brands for customer service, fit, function, durability.

I switched to Arcteryx outerwear this year (Rush shell and Sabre pants) after having some issues with Mountain Hardware and premature wear. My buddy has been running Arcteryx for 10+ years and the warranty dept in North Van has supported him multiple times and always goes above and beyond. I've had a Cerium puffy for a few seasons with no issues.

On the MH, I managed to get the pants which were their top eVent hardshell model at the time, warrantied for store credit at Backcountry.com as I had bought them back when they had the lifetime return policy. Basically the crotch outer fabric wore almost completely through after 5 seasons of weekend warrior resort/touring use, maybe 100-125 days. It started getting bad after the third season but I just dealt with it for another couple years. There was also a ton of piling of the outer fabric. MH had no interest as this was "wear and tear". Not cool for a top of the line outerwear product and weekend warrior use in my opinion.

A few months ago I sent back an awesome 5 year old Sidewinder SV jacket b/c of a busted zipper. They informed me that they would repair the zipper along with some other things they noticed.

It was taking longer than it should so I contacted them and they said there were some unexpected delays with their repair center and that it would be another month.

Then, to my surprise, Leigh offered to send me out a brand new one if I didn’t want to wait any longer. I decided to go with the Rush jacket this time. Should be arriving next week.

How fucking cool is that!

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parkng View Post
    Thinking about this thread today. Lots of people saying they've had good warranty experiences with Arc'teryx. Maybe the OP just ran into some ramrod of a customer service rep? Funny how so much stuff in life comes down to who you happen to talk to on the other end of the phone or across the counter.
    You got that right, A.P.

But, if I don't like what I'm hearing from the other end of the phone or countertop, I don't hesitate to jump further up the food chain. It's surprising what kind of results you can get just by bypassing person one and talking to a supervisor or manager.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 12-30-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

I got a new Atom LT jacket this November, and one of the seams on it completely fell apart about six weeks later, after wearing the jacket a few days a week to bike to school and fish. Two weeks ago, I called and they told me to send in photos and fill out a warranty return thing on their site, and I have been completely ignored since.

Aside from the shit craftsmanship and warranty (so far), the jacket is nice, but I probably won't be buying Arc'teryx again.

I’m sorry to hear yours didn’t perform for you, but my atom lt has been a fucking revelation for me. My favorite insulating layer, 2yrs and going strong

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma View Post
    I got a new Atom LT jacket this November, and one of the seams on it completely fell apart about six weeks later, after wearing the jacket a few days a week to bike to school and fish. Two weeks ago, I called and they told me to send in photos and fill out a warranty return thing on their site, and I have been completely ignored since.

Aside from the shit craftsmanship and warranty (so far), the jacket is nice, but I probably won't be buying Arc'teryx again.
    It's not over until the woman with the dietary imbalance sings

They will email you tomorrow offering you the world and you will feel like a putz
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Warrantied my OG Theta AR jacket a little while back. The mid-level waist drawcord had delammed and I thought there was a bit of bubbling on the seams on the shoulders. Buddy had the exact same jacket replaced with a $600 credit last summer. Was hoping for same. Didn't get that, but they did fix the drawcord and redo a section of the hood. Said the bubbling was fine and normal. Mailed and back in 5-6 weeks during the busiest part of the year.

So, they did fine for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Sent in my 10 yr old Sidewinder jacket w/ a busted main zipper and like others have noted Arcteryx is offering me any brand new jacket as a free replacement. Sweet!

They did take about 1 month to evaluate it and they are also completely out of my size in the jacket I want but they just told me to wait for the new ones to arrive in the Fall and pick what I want, the warranty credit offer never expires.
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

Different experience in Europe. I think this was also OPs problem if I remember correctly.

Since five month I try to get the voucher they offer due to the raise of minimum operation temperature for their airbag. At least 8 mails send, one expensive phone call to Canada, filled out at least three online forms and no effect yet. Sorry but this is really bad!

Three weeks ago I went into the local Arcteryx shop and asked about a repair of a little rip in a down jacket (was eager to get it washed as I don't have good options to wash down at home, too): 35 bucks for washing was fine. Now they called (little rip, takes three weeks to asses the problem) and offer to fix it for 55 bucks. I really hope they fix it well (told them to do so anyway, don't ask me why) as I was not particularly happy about their las repair on a gore-tex jacket.

Sorry Arcteryx but good service looks different. Other companies in this price range do free repairs and answer mails a lot faster. I stille really like their products but I hope the catch up on costumer service.

Just filled out their online warranty form and added a photo.
    I received an email and RA# within 3 hrs. My winter boots are on their way to their warranty department in Vancouver.
    In my opinion they have always stood behind their product. I don't expect a 2 week turn around, but thats the reality of warranty.

I guess things are a little different here in Europe. Throughout this topic all complaints where by euros and most of the praise by people from north america.
    Just for assessing the costs I think 3-4 weeks for a total standard issue is a bit long but it does net bother me too much either. The 5 month on the Voltair issue seem a bit long by now.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post

Three weeks ago I went into the local Arcteryx shop and asked about a repair of a little rip in a down jacket
    Sounds like you caused the rip, and this was not a defect in the jacket. Seems right in line with industry standard for warranties. Just because they have a lifetime warranty does not mean every rip/tear/delam will be covered!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    I guess things are a little different here in Europe. Throughout this topic all complaints where by euros and most of the praise by people from north america.
    Just for assessing the costs I think 3-4 weeks for a total standard issue is a bit long but it does net bother me too much either. The 5 month on the Voltair issue seem a bit long by now.
    From going into head office in north Vancover for warranty I got nothing but good things to say about Arcterxy BUT the warranty does seem different on that side of the pond SO does Arcterxy get their warranty administered by some outfit in Yurp or what ?

if so it should be no skin off their hide to just charge Arcterxy for Administering their warranty work and they should not care about giving stuff away ... cuz over here Arcterxy just gives stuff away

small rip in a down jacket :

I think you are on your own with down jackets cuz they rip really easy I either use tenacious tape or dab a little clear nail polish on really small holes to seal the feathers in

but I patch my own gortex as well and I have worn out a Beta G-tex, no way i would try for warranty on that piece
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The customer service and follow through you get is extremely dependent on what kind of damage or defect they are looking at.

I spent the 1990s working in retail luggage store management and our chain was the main warranty repair center and airline damage claim center for all of Texas and northern California. We did a lot of zipper repair estimates as well as other patching work through the repair shops the company ran.

Repairing a main zipper on a jacket or just about anything else usually costs more than a brand new item because removing the old zipper is ridiculously labor intensive and tedious. The only time the vendor, airline, or customer would go that route was if the piece was custom or the customer had a sentimental attachment so strong they were willing to pay big bucks to fix it instead of replacing it.

That's why the customer service feedback can be all over the map from great to terrible. If the company does not have a replacement readily available for a blown main zipper they will jerk you off completely or offer you a big discount on something else assuming they can't weasel out due to age or other signs if any abuse at all.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I own a small ski/outdoor shop. We sell bucket loads of Arcteryx, it's probably our largest clothing brand. We also sell Patagonia, Sweet, TNF and Black Crows. Arcteryx warranty is awesome, sometimes it takes a while while to turn around but they always come through. Honestly I can't believe some of the stuff they cover. If it was me I'd say no way.
    Between Smith, Osprey and the brands above you could never buy another product once you own one, they seem to replace everything.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Ok guys - you are right. I should not have posted my complaints here as this is clearly not a warranty but a repair. And it seems that if they will rebuild the section of the jacket as new than this is indeed a fair price.
    My trouble with the avalanche pack still persists whereas this is also a difficult case as they never got sold in Europe.

The Answer is yes the highest priced technical gear has the worst customer service and satisfaction.

I sent an Alpha SV with pockets and seam tape delaminated, along with the wire that forms the visor of the hood started poking through. (Its a sharp little bugger.) They wont repair it, they want to replace it with a 50% discount as long as I buy off their website.

The jacket is over 16 yrs old, but is in excellent shape, I seriously doubt if it has seen 100 ski days. I moved to WV a year after I bought it and haven't skied more than 10 days a year here, and the jacket is overkill for anything other than lift serve skiing in January here. The kicker is I can't even take advantage of the replacement discount due to the fact they have no large shells in any model on their website.

I guess Arc'teryx lifetime warranty isn't the same as Patagonia, OR, Mountain Hardware etc...

For the first time in my life I wish I would of bought a Northface. Last winter will be last time I purchase or say anything good about their gear.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post
    The Answer is yes the highest priced technical gear has the worst customer service and satisfaction.

I sent an Alpha SV with pockets and seam tape delaminated, along with the wire that forms the visor of the hood started poking through. (Its a sharp little bugger.) They wont repair it, they want to replace it with a 50% discount as long as I buy off their website.

The jacket is over 16 yrs old, but is in excellent shape, I seriously doubt if it has seen 100 ski days. I moved to WV a year after I bought it and haven't skied more than 10 days a year here, and the jacket is overkill for anything other than lift serve skiing in January here. The kicker is I can't even take advantage of the replacement discount due to the fact they have no large shells in any model on their website.

I guess Arc'teryx lifetime warranty isn't the same as Patagonia, OR, Mountain Hardware etc...

For the first time in my life I wish I would of bought a Northface. Last winter will be last time I purchase or say anything good about their gear.
    Interesting, as I just had a very different experience. Had a 10 year old gore pro jacket (can't remember my Greek alphabet) on which the hem failed. Figured it was an easy fix for them, brought it in to the retail store in December. Got an email this weekend saying they could fix it but they're busy and I could pick out a replacement instead. New Rush LT now on the way, only $650 sticker price...

I think one key may be dark colors, they always look less abused.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app
    a witty saying proves nothing
    voltaire

Yurp also seems to have stricter warranty guidelines over merica. Based off reading this thread over that last 2 years or so

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Their warranty service seems grossly inconsistent and dependent on the CS agent you draw.

Mostly I am pissed that they offered me a 50% off on a new piece, but do not have anything suitable in stock.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

I’ve had two warranty claims on seams splitting in pants. Both times they simply replaced them. I sort of doubt that they actually repair anything anymore. Probably cheaper to just replace. Replacement inventory is definitely annoying. I sent them in last spring and was told they were out of stock until the fall. Backordering for replacement items apparently wasn’t an option. Had to contact them in September to get the replacements, which they couldn’t ship to the us so I had to have a buddy forward it from Canada. At the end of the day however I have a new replacement so maybe I’m just a whiny little bitch.

I wouldn't think of trying to warranty something 16 years old. I don't think anyone else anywhere would do that.