Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SoCal 16/17

SoCal 16/17

Anyone getting some? Tried going hwy2 today was closed right by mt high. Coverage looked good. I hear San G south fork trailed head is closed any beta would be cool. Might be down around the 5th to go for a peak somewhere let me know if any of you guys are interested.

I haven't been up, but this was the first good snow in awhile, so it will make a good base for the next one. Skiing this snow right now seems like a good way to find rocks and stumps.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Baldy ski area webcams look promising...not much open although?

Wonder how the conditions will be after these next series of storms. Down to go check it out once they pass. Let me know if any of you want to go poke around.

webcams and radar seem to suggest rain up to around 10.5k ft...way too warm.

Gorgonio is a long hike both ways for maybe 500ft of vert.

snowing up there now!

Wondering if anyone wants to poke around here the next few days?

Looks like game on in the Peninsular and Transverse Ranges soon.

https://twitter.com/NWSSanDiego/stat...64179654668288

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Finally. Could SoCal actually have a winter this year?

I flew over the southern Mojave yesterday, and things were looking pretty good on all the high peaks. Lots of snow well below Highway 2, and even more above. This next system, if not too warm should make skiing and skinning good in a lot of places.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I sitting here waiting for things to clear. Going to go have a look around in the near future!!!!

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...5#.WIEDD4Y77YU

Looks like possible Monday or Tuesday game on!!!

^ Remember the Baldy snowfall forecast formula: take the low end of the predicted snowfall range and divide by two.

Sat should be pretty decent if the wind backs off, be careful OB on Monday if there's heavy rain on the snowpack Sunday afternoon as predicted.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ Remember the Baldy snowfall forecast formula: take the low end of the predicted snowfall range and divide by two.

Sat should be pretty decent if the wind backs off, be careful OB on Monday if there's heavy rain on the snowpack Sunday afternoon as predicted.
    Probably going to check out hwy2 by waterman tomorrow. looks like a small window. Was also seeing the snow elevations on this next one kinda wondering. Any how I'll let you know how it goes.

Baldy was disappointing but still good today. Longest lift lines I've ever seen there. Instead of the two feet Bear got, Baldy went from boilerplate on exposed aspects to up to 6" of creamy soft wind deposits over boilerplate on lee slopes. Surprisingly Chair 4 had the best snow on the mountain.

CHP really should have been doing chain control, way too many 2wd's flailing with no chains, or chains on the wrong axle. Apparently small cars suck on ice even with chains, saw a Fiat with chains spinning and unable to make the grade, and a Prius driving up with the guy's girlfriend riding on the hood to add weight to the front wheels.

It worked. The Fiat owner should've put his gal on the hood too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 01-22-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Baldy was disappointing but still good today. Instead of the two feet Bear got, Baldy was boilerplate on exposed aspects with up to 6" of creamy soft over boiler on lee slopes. Chair 4 had the best snow on the mountain, must have been all wind deposits. Longest lift lines I've ever seen there.

CHP really should have been doing chain control, way too many 2wd's flailing with no chains, or chains on the wrong axle. Apparently small cars suck on ice even with chains, saw a Fiat with chains spinning and unable to make the grade, and a Prius driving up with the guy's girlfriend riding on the hood to add weight to the front wheels.

It worked. The Fiat owner should've put his gal on the hood too.
    Was okay off hwy2 bluebird no wind snow was better then expected 1000oaks lets hook up soon. Might hit baldy tomorrow or the next day. I saw a group of 5 splits was surprised to see that many in socal. Lets hope this one doesn't wash away the base.

Baldy was a lot of fun today. There are still some fresh turns left in the trees for the rest of you.

Some of the most fun I've had I a long while socal pow pow lol!!!!

That photo with the gal on the hood of the prius is priceless.

Is Baldy really charging for skier parking this year? That and the higher price, I skipped getting a pass.

I didn't get charged for parking yesterday or hear from anyone that did.

The ticket price is steep, especially given the high probability of getting stuck on a lift but I view it as a donation to keep a decent, small ski area open. I can't imagine that place makes much money, it must be a labor of love for the owners.

Small avy in baldy bowl yesterday, think 2 guys evacuated via heli and 3rd walked out in his own, going to be an interesting weekend

The bowl must have been pretty heavily wind loaded, but a little surprised it slide several days after the storm. Hope everybody is okay.

iscariot

From the LA Times...

Two hikers were injured Thursday in an avalanche near the Mt. Baldy summit, authorities said.

The incident was reported at 12:13 p.m. in the Baldy Bowl, a 7.5-mile trail southeast of the Mt. Baldy summit, said Eric Sherwin, a spokesman for the San Bernardino County Fire Department.

According to Sherwin, three hikers were crossing the Baldy Bowl when an avalanche occurred. The hikers slid halfway down the blanket of snow and needed help getting off the mountain.

The hikers were on “unstable snow overlaying the sheet of ice,” Sherwin said.

One of the hikers suffered serious injuries and was hoisted by helicopter to a nearby ambulance for immediate medical care, he said. A second hiker was also injured and rescued by helicopter. That hiker was taken to a hospital.

The third hiker was not injured and walked off the mountain without assistance.

Live television footage from KNBC-TV Channel 4 showed rescuers tending to a pair of hikers as a helicopter flew over them.

According to Sherwin, the Baldy Bowl is a backcountry area and not subject to avalanche control measures. Sherwin said he didn’t know the size of the avalanche.

“You do assume your own risk,” he said.

In this case, Sherwin said, the hikers came prepared and “did all the right things.’

They immediately called for help and used the buddy system, Sherwin said.

iscariot