Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skiing with a port (chemo thread)

I know people on here have done it, any tips?

Mine saw snow Monday, a week after placement, and all went well enough until I wacked myself in the chest with a binding corner putting the skis back on the rack. Three runs in light gale force winds was enough, but at least it happened. Started treatment yesterday and apparently I'm going to need better mittens before trying that again. Hoping to avoid spray-foaming the outside of my boots, but I think I could still pass for a local if it comes to that.

Once it heals I cannot think of a medical reason it would pose a problem.

Blunt impact and irritation from pack straps etc are different story. In the operating room we will use a foam donut taped on the chest as protection in prone cases. If you are truly going for it that might not be a bad idea.

For pack/strap rub maybe some second skin?
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

good vibes to you as you go through your treatment!

Thinking of you Jon

And all the best!!!!

Best wishes, man.

Just don't whack/abrade it on anything and you should be fine. My wife never mentions hers when she skis.

Pro tip, consider leaving it in for a while after the treatments depending on what you're treating, just in case of recurrence. PM for details if you want.

All the best with your treatment; welcome to the community of survivors.

My port was not a significant impediment to anything I did, but my seven week course of chemo and radiation ended Sept 9, so no snow sports during it. I can tell you that I was wrecked after week 5 and the feeding tube in my abdomen (throat cancer kind of forces a hiatus from normal eating) was a major PITA. Always in the way and took a while to recover from both the implantation and removal. I started skiing the day after Christmas that season, still weak and barely back to anything resembling normal. Skied 60 days that season, probably the best aspect of my recovery, and I'll hit the magic 5 year mark next Sept.
    If it's too loud, you're too old

Agree with suggestion of second skin donut. Why not wear a chest protector over that if very worried?

Name:  leatt-chest-protector-lite-wht.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  fox_15_roo_def_pro_lc-blk.jpg
Views: 1693
Size:  15.3 KB

Those cost about $100. Plus if your chemo is knocking out your thrombocytes and hematocytes, trauma protection is a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Great idea ^^^^^

Thanks all! For Monday I found I had a mid-layer pocket that would put my wallet right below the port, and my phone sat over both like a plastic guard, and skiing seemed fine, might have brushed a small branch once, no problems. I doubt I'll be hitting it even that hard again soon, but the armor suggestion will get some consideration once I prove I can handle any form of cold again. So far winter is not the season for this chemo, but we aren't turning in our passes yet!

Boss. Way to keep getting after it and good luck with treatment.

Kick it in the ass, jono. The force is with you.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Quote Originally Posted by HansJob View Post
    Kick it in the ass, jono. The force is with you.
    Get well, man! I have nothing else useful to add. Kick some ass.

my sister had to do this back in the day. you will get through this. best wishes, mc
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Way to get after it! Best to you as you get through this.

Thanks all! Update to this: my challenge seems to be cold fingers, toes, and mouth, so I ordered up a set of too-large mittens from Free The Powder. Add two layers of liner gloves and I still have room for a chemical hand warmer if needed. Worked well snowshoeing at 16 F Saturday, so when Sunday brought warmer temps and reasonable dumpage, I got a few good hours yesterday and broke out the Atlases to make 7" feel like 10" today. Hoping to schedule another session tomorrow. Crazy how up and down this whole thing can be, from no energy to "screw it, let's go!" in about one day. Tomorrow's my last day before another round, and if I can get some refills while my lips and lungs are cooperating I'm doing it.

Pow fever is strong: took a branch pointing right into my chest at one point, which thankfully buckled and snapped--and just as thankfully, on the side opposite the port. Figured I'd be sporting a bruise, but just a tiny mark on the Anterro II. FKNA MiCol, that thing is bomber! Hadn't figured on getting ever more fearless in the trees; might have to check into the chest protector for the next opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by GetAmped View Post
    All the best with your treatment; welcome to the community of survivors.

My port was not significant impediment to anything I did, but my seven week course of chemo and radiation ended Sept 9, so no snow sports during it. I can tell you that I was wrecked after week 5 and the feeding tube in my abdomen (throat cancer kind of forces a hiatus from normal eating) was a major PITA. Always in the way and took a while to recover from both the implantation and removal. I started skiing the day after Christmas that season, still weak and barely back to anything resembling normal. Skied 60 days that season, probably the best aspect of my recovery, and I'll hit the magic 5 year mark next Sept.
    Just re-read this. Congrats! And thanks for posting it. I'm hoping to be getting to that feeding tube PITA sooner rather than later. Stomach reconstruction seems like it'll have that in common. I'm told best case I'm done with big days, but screw that. My knees can tell me it's time to stop; doctor FNG not so much.

I skied a bunch with a pic line. Being active caused some bruising around the site from it pulling on the skin when my arm moved around, but other than that it was fine. Listen to your body and rest when you need to, but I generally think being active helps the body and the mind. Good luck!

nice work jono

ccwa glad to see you around
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

stay active and kick cancer's ass!

Found yesterday that one of our too many packs lays astiff strap right over the port so I just have to put stuff in my pockets to support it away from my skin. Going a stage better in a couple weeks, but it was good for branch protection. Today's day 1 again, so I'm all about hot liquids and hiding from cold air again for a while, but this too shall pass.

Thread is useless without pics. Hopefully phone pics suffice. Not feeling mid-season form, but any day in a helmet is a good day--covered with a hood and it's a Great day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170110_111336-1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	502.5 KB 
ID:	197007

Name:	20170110_114954-1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	689.1 KB 
ID:	197006

Name:	20170110_113036-1-1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	470.9 KB 
ID:	197010

Awesome! Gives all of us no excuses!

Seriously. Motivational and awesome.

Wicked sharp there in the purple Hagloffs Jon. Flying out of Spokane on 2/14. Would be down for a lap or two at Schweitzer if you have time on 2/13.

Heh. I almost said "any day in purple pants is a great day" but it seemed like an inside joke. Let's stay in touch on that date, I have high hopes for that week. And if the snow holds up maybe we can find some better stashes this time; the rocks are coming in nicely already.