Making boots softer

I need to make these boots about 20-30 points softer. I've heard you can cut the shells in a v on the rear cuff. Where in this photo would I cut and how? 120 flex tecnicas if it matters, the one where the front hinges out, diablo maybe?

Have you tried removing the spoiler?

Looks two-piece w/the larger one overlapping the lower shell?

Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I need to make these boots about 20-30 points softer.
    Looks like a Diablo Magma. What's so great about them? For less than $250 you can get a modern 100 flex boot that's lighter, allows you to stand in a more upright and relaxed position, and has a more comfortable and warmer liner.

The new boot's plastic also won't be brittle and harsh to ski on. After 6-8 years boots really start to loose their 'feel' and the flex becomes harsh.

FWIW, the 'V' has already been 'cut' on your boot. It is hidden behind the orange spoiler.

You have to cut the shit outta boots to get 30 flex points. V in the back has been cut. You could make the down cuts on the side bigger but it gets a little interesting with that bi-injected plastic there.

Really it's time to retire these puppies.

Other than the tech issues already discussed...

What is growing in your boots? Petri dish looking things...

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The new boot's plastic also won't be brittle and harsh to ski on. After 6-8 years boots really start to loose their 'feel' and the flex becomes harsh.
    Is this generally agreed on? I hadn't heard this before. Seems like it could be an issue with plastic lots of UV exposure, but ski boots?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Yeah best way to make them softer is to replace them with new softer boots.

Kinda looks like a bolt in the back? Take it out?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

So the story is my 13 yo found these in the basement and has refused to ski on anything else this year. They fit him well but he only weighs about 100 lbs, so I was gong to try and soften them up at least. I guess I can throw them away and force him onto to something else if it's dangerous for him but I didn't think it was a safety deal.

I've seen boots break apart in the liftline, but they were always some POS, old rear entry. If these boots get him psyched for shredding I'd be inclined to start cutting and experiment with the flex, worst case you get new ones anyway. But I'm no parent
    "Some folks look for answers
    Others look for fights
    Some folks up in treetops
    Just look to see the sights"

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    What is growing in your boots? Petri dish looking things...
    Some sticky goo off duct tape that I must've had on the liners.

I honestly don't remember using these boots, I'm somewhat of a gear hoarder.

You already own em: take off the upper cuff (use care not to strip the bolts-common on those). Drill 4 holes in the back- does not matter where, just even on both right & left. Cut V's 1/2" shorter, again even on in/out, R/L. Put em back together & ski.

This^^ if the kid wants to wear them save yourself some money & be happy

I softened some boots by cutting a big V in the back with a box cutter razor knife, you got a bit of an open it goes there already so I would cut it lower /wider, you can always try enlarging that area at the back of the boot by 1 cm at a time but you can't put it back
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know