Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast

Thread: Fritschi Tecton

Summit- yeah, in fact it happens way too much for me. I’m finding it more frequently when i fail to bring the skis inside to melt out each night. I’ve never done it before, but the tecton seem to require it. I believe its an icing problem, never happens to me when the skis went inside.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

The little fins in the heel cup are probably missing the slots in the boot heel tech insert (or the slots are plugged with ice), which pushes back the binding heel. Or there's ice in the heel cup that prevents the boot from seating properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    I sprayed both the bindings and the rear part of my boots with silicone spray, and that fixed it - at least for a while. So it's definitely caused the forward pressure spring being compressed, which then makes the riser stick to the sticky rubber sole of the boot.

On another note: Where can I buy brakes for these bindings? The 120 mm brakes are way too wide for the 124 mm skis I have them mounted on. The 110's would probably be more than wide enough.
    I have some extra brake arms that I think are the 110's $20+shipping. PM me
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    happened to me once this past weekend, same thing. i cycled thru the heel motion a couple times and it clears. gotta be a wet snow icing thing cuz it’s not ever happened in the cold dry snow. i do bring these in each night, cuz well i really like em.
    The things I miss in a Continental snowpack
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    The things I miss in a Continental snowpack
    Heh, that and stability. I always knew Colorado was sketch but this year is a whole new level.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Heh, that and stability. I always knew Colorado was sketch but this year is a whole new level.
    Its pretty normal snowpack actually. What isn’t normal is large amounts of snowfall hah

Thought this was interesting, taken from Lars’ interview with Powder about CAST:
    https://www.powder.com/gear-locker/n...ot-performance

“Releasability in tech bindings is a messy subject. I've figured it out over the years. The long and short of it is alpine bindings were created because of lower leg injuries—it was hurting the sport. The alpine binding ISO Standards did a good job at fixing that, but with the original tech bindings there was no injury prevention and they weren't designed around the forces and anatomy.

There hasn't been more of an outcry because the sample numbers will never be near the numbers of alpine skiers, you need lateral release in the tech toe to prevent spiral fractures. There are a couple who are getting elastic travel and lateral release, so I think they're trying.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Thought this was interesting, taken from Lars’ interview with Powder about CAST:
    https://www.powder.com/gear-locker/n...ot-performance

“Releasability in tech bindings is a messy subject. I've figured it out over the years. The long and short of it is alpine bindings were created because of lower leg injuries—it was hurting the sport. The alpine binding ISO Standards did a good job at fixing that, but with the original tech bindings there was no injury prevention and they weren't designed around the forces and anatomy.

There hasn't been more of an outcry because the sample numbers will never be near the numbers of alpine skiers, you need lateral release in the tech toe to prevent spiral fractures. There are a couple who are getting elastic travel and lateral release, so I think they're trying.”
    Good point.

I think it is truly praisworthy what Fritchi/BD (Vipec/Tecton) and Salomon (Shift) have created plus the well intentioned efforts of La Sportiva (TR2).
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Not willing to go through 39 pages to find out: Is the (current) Hoji compatible with the tecton?

If someone can provide me with a list of incompatible boots, I could add that to the first post to prevent further questions like this.

Don't remember where it was published (Powder online maybe), but recently read an article about Vipec/Tecton technology where the author was thrilled with the "safety" aspect of these bindings, as had just had his ACL repaired. Maybe someone should tell him bindings that don't release laterally at the heel contribute to torn ACL's, lol. Pick your poison.

Google to the rescue - hit 1 and 3: key take away - compatible, but perhaps not recommended.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skjermbilde 2019-03-17 kl. 20.15.23.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	615.3 KB 
ID:	274532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skjermbilde 2019-03-17 kl. 20.15.33.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	274533
    Source: https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...ts_2017-18.pdf

WildSnow does some testing and a' and b'ing with other boots: https://www.wildsnow.com/25175/dynaf...ipec-fritschi/

Buddy on tectons broke the forward release mechanism on first tour. All that forward release stuff popped out. He kinda got the bidding back together, but bits of plastic will end up in the ocean. Point is, I was not impressed with the toe. It has many little sensitive parts that are waiting to grenade when the binding is full of spring snow. The old toe was way simpler but worked well.

First pic is the broken binding

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Buddy on tectons broke the forward release mechanism on first tour. All that forward release stuff popped out. He kinda got the bidding back together, but bits of plastic will end up in the ocean. Point is, I was not impressed with the toe. It has many little sensitive parts that are waiting to grenade when the binding is full of spring snow. The old toe was way simpler but worked well.
    What did your buddy do to break the toe?

Fell on the skin track.

What the hell is going on with these brakes on these things? I bought new (overpriced) 110 mm brakes, hoping to get a snug fit over my 124 mm skis, but these things actually measure over 120 mm at the narrowest point. Additionally they don't retract much, if anything, making them stick out and catch on stuff all the time.

Do I really have to get 100 mm brakes for my 124 mm skis?

Fritschi Tecton

What the hell is going on with these brakes on these things? I bought new (overpriced) 110 mm brakes, hoping to get a snug fit over my 124 mm skis, but these things actually measure over 120 mm at the narrowest point. Additionally they don't retract much, if anything, making them stick out and catch on stuff all the time.

I think there is just a ton of inconsistency. I have some 100 mm brakes that fit decently well over my 95 mm skis. Sure they’re a little big but not the issue some are having here.

Would need a fair amount of bending for a 124 mm ski

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Those can't be 110's, my 110's needed a bit of grinding to fit over Helio116.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Those can't be 110's, my 110's needed a bit of grinding to fit over Helio116.
    Came wrapped in plastic that says 110 mm on it. How hard can it be to get brake sizes right?

Name:	IMG_20190328_210008.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1,000.0 KB 
ID:	276318

Came wrapped in plastic that says 110 mm on it. How hard can it be to get brake sizes right?

Name:	IMG_20190328_210008.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1,000.0 KB 
ID:	276318
    Maybe a stupid question, but did you mount them on the heel piece or just hold them up to the ski? I ask because when I got some 90mm brakes to replace my 100mm, they looked exactly the same as the 100 brakes until I swapped out a pair. When mounted to the heel piece the arms get compressed a bit. I had to dremel off some of the 90mm brake so they didn't get caught up on my 99mm skis when deployed. I agree that Fritschi brakes do not retract much, a lousy design for sure.

The reach is a bit narrower when actually installed on the binding on the ski, since the arms get pinched lower down, pulling them inwards, IIRC.

Hmm right, I didn't actually think of that. The brakes that are on there now measure the exact same as these new ones when deployed. I don't know what the width of the brakes that came on the bindings is supposed to be as I bought them used.

I'll try to mount them on the heel piece and see if that makes a difference.

Mounted width is way different than unmounted.

If you haven't mounted Vipec or Tecton brakes, it is a little tricky. Here's a good video....Tecton starts about a minute in....

Thanks guys. Maybe I'm just a big 'ol idiot. I'll update tomorrow after mounting them.