Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1319

Thread: Fritschi Tecton

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Have you inspected the tech fittings on your boot?

are you fully engaged in walk mode?

What DIN value are you running them at?

Have you pre-released out of the toe at all?

Toe piece in walk only increases the release value by about 30% or so, so if everything looks good on visual inspection I would look to see if your release value has drifted.
    Yeah, I'll inspect my tech fittings and release value. I'm running them at 8 DIN and I have never pre-released from them. I went on a few tours since then and have been proactive about kick-turning with silent/graceful feet. No issues so far.
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Dang it.

Does anyone know if this piece being busted hinders the functionality of the binding?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FritschiTecton.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	402671

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
    Dang it.

Does anyone know if this piece being busted hinders the functionality of the binding?
    That'll buff right out...
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

the only thing it can affect is the forward release, and that is easy to test - just turn the din down low and try to simulate a forward fall.

So I knew there were issues with early gen vipec toes and knee fall boot damage but thought it’d been resolved by the time Tecton came to be?

Not the case for this guy. This happened day 3 of a hut trip at Battle Abbey last week!

Adios Vulcans

Name:	IMG_5162.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	402706

So lucky a friend had brought his old boots as backup that were exact same size and last but softer (dynafit px ones) that I was able to use the Vulcan tongues to beef up and save my trip

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    the only thing it can affect is the forward release, and that is easy to test - just turn the din down low and try to simulate a forward fall.
    Thanks and you're right- it won't release forward. The other one releases fine. Double dang it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    So I knew there were issues with early gen vipec toes and knee fall boot damage but thought it’d been resolved by the time Tecton came to be?

Not the case for this guy. This happened day 3 of a hut trip at Battle Abbey last week!

Adios Vulcans

So lucky a friend had brought his old boots as backup that were exact same size and last but softer (dynafit px ones) that I was able to use the Vulcan tongues to beef up and save my trip

that sucks ^^ 7-10 year old plastic ?

answers the question how long does boot plastic last ?

people lose tongues or breaking parts so keep those boots
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

a lighter, some super glue, and keep on truckin
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Anyone know where I can buy demo plates?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    a lighter, some super glue, and keep on truckin

Name:  d7c039271687ad3d05d79f6737369cbb.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  42.1 KB
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Anyone know where I can buy demo plates?
    I emailed black diamond directly for Vipec demo plates.

How much were they?

The first gen Tectons took whatever knee fall issues that were present in the first gens of the Vipecs and ramped them up to the umphteenth degree. Sadly. Sorry about them boots - perhaps BD will honor a warranty claim for them?

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
    Thanks and you're right- it won't release forward. The other one releases fine. Double dang it.
    Contact Black Diamond if you are based in the US. They seem very receptive to facilitating warrenty replacements. While shit breaks, this is still the first time I have seen that part break. Hell, Fritschi might be keen to get it back for inspection. Worth a try at least.

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Name:  d7c039271687ad3d05d79f6737369cbb.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  42.1 KB
    Depends on if your at the hut or at home

I've used a lighter to "unpunch" someone's pair of atomic backlands that had fully indented toe punches from their tectons that occurred 1 mi from Eiseman Hut (long way in). They didn't crack though. Wouldn't get sendy in those green boots!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Adios Vulcans

Damn, huge bummer. But this is an excellent photo to show how your boots become brittle over time with the plasticizers leaching out. I wonder what the lifespan of Grillamid/Pebax/ tour plastics vs PU is.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Contact Black Diamond if you are based in the US. They seem very receptive to facilitating warrenty replacements. While shit breaks, this is still the first time I have seen that part break. Hell, Fritschi might be keen to get it back for inspection. Worth a try at least.
    Yeah, I shot Fritschi an email and asked if I could just buy a single toe. The reply was a link to a BD warranty form. Pretty sure mine are out of the warranty window, so hopefully they'll just sell me a toe like I originally asked.

I found another example of a failure similar to this back on p.38 but it sounds like these bindings were considerably fresher when it happened:

First pic is the broken binding
    Cocximus, how did the replacement process shake out for your buddy?

How much were they?
    I don’t have a receipt handy but I think around $80. Here is the part number: BD1012930000ALL1

It’s not available via their online store so you have to call.

That happens when the toe is leaning forward and you try to open the binding. The release mechanism pushes that tab against the boot and with a bit of force it breaks. My buddy did it twice before we figured it out. He got them replaced under warranty both times. I was kinda surprised BD did not even ask why it happened.

That happens when the toe is leaning forward and you try to open the binding. The release mechanism pushes that tab against the boot and with a bit of force it breaks. My buddy did it twice before we figured it out. He got them replaced under warranty both times. I was kinda surprised BD did not even ask why it happened.
    Thanks, makes sense. I couldn't figure out how the hell it happened, but knowing this it likely occurred during a transition in powdery conditions so I couldn't see/hear it happen.

Great to know moving forward, but pretty silly way for a binding to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Depends on if your at the hut or at home

I've used a lighter to "unpunch" someone's pair of atomic backlands that had fully indented toe punches from their tectons that occurred 1 mi from Eiseman Hut (long way in). They didn't crack though. Wouldn't get sendy in those green boots!
    We actually did glue it back together but the crack that really worried me was the one running through the toe lug and over to the tech fitting. Last thing i wanted was to shear the toe off completely when over a mile and thousands of feet away from the hut.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Damn, huge bummer. But this is an excellent photo to show how your boots become brittle over time with the plasticizers leaching out. I wonder what the lifespan of Grillamid/Pebax/ tour plastics vs PU is.
    While older i probably only had ~45 days on them. i think temp during impact played a role too. it was chilly but not frigid @ -10 Celsius

The first gen Tectons took whatever knee fall issues that were present in the first gens of the Vipecs and ramped them up to the umphteenth degree. Sadly. Sorry about them boots - perhaps BD will honor a warranty claim for them?
    not gonna bother. i got them new on closeout for <$375 ages ago. lusting after new touring boots but couldn't justify given how good of shape they were in but looking forward to newer, more upright boots and no longer dicking around with a removeable tongue on transitions.

While older i probably only had ~45 days on them. i think temp during impact played a role too. it was chilly but not frigid @ -10 Celsius
    Oxidation of plastics happens if you use it or not. Things like UV light will accelerate it. Not sure how temperature fluctuations would effect the fancy polyamides ie grillamid, pebax (nylon being the most common branded name) that are used in touring boots.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Pretty stoked with BD customer service.

Told them via email that my broken binding is way out of warranty and requested to purchase a replacement toe- new or used.

They asked me to fill out a warranty form anyway. 10 days go by and nothing, so I called CS just now.

Recording said 49 min wait, took about 15 mins.

Girl answers “Yeah, not surprised, those guys are backed up. I’m going to hang up and just go ask them if I can send you a new toe. If you don’t hear back from me it means I can’t help you and you’ll have to wait for your claim to be processed”.

Tracking number with memo “Replacement Tecton Toe” shows up in my inbox 10 mins later.

There really is something to be said for under promising and over delivering. Kind of like the Tecton does.

So what's the hoopla about this new Carbon Tecton?
    I presume different material, so is it lighter? Stronger? Does it just have SNG technology? (that's spiffy new graphics to the uninformed)

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    I presume different material, so is it lighter? Stronger? Does it just have SNG technology? (that's spiffy new graphics to the uninformed)
    I think it is supposed to be a little stronger but who knows. The pair I have are a few grams heavier than the last years model I had. Might be just SNG.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Anyone have any time on em?

Looks like carbon infused plastic could solve the toe durability issues. The carbon thermoplastics are very robust ime....