Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
Results 801 to 825 of 831

Thread: Fritschi Tecton

  1. #801
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Lower Mainland
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    I'm not doubting you or calling you out, but this seems odd. I can see it with the super light/no toe lug boots, but not so much with Vulcans and other boots. Lots of people have lots of days on these and I don't recall hearing any complaints as far as range of motion. Forward falling and envaginating boots? Sure, though it hasn't happened to the majority of users.
    I have lots of days on mine. The only time the toe bumper ever comes into play is during steep kickturns, and I actually like being able to bounce the tail around off of the bumper sometimes. Other than that I never notice it and can't imagine extending my stride to the point where I would. I'm long of leg, 6' 1" and ski these with Maestrale RS. YM obviously varies, but I wonder if there isn't something being missed/awry? It'd suck to write these off based on an anomaly, as they've been great bindings for lots of users.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EHxYJU2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	258123

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FcJnAWq.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	258124
    Difference between Tecton/Vipec and Ion. So yeah, there is a significant difference, but note that the boot here is in ski mode, so you would get all the additional forward lean of the boot in tour mode. So yeah, the Ion has much more forward pivot range, but most of the difference is unusable (I imagine the same would be true for Radicals). Curious if my pic matches up to riff's bench test (with Vulcans?). If he had the toes in ski mode, the forward pivot is definitely reduced even further.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0121.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	258122  

  2. #802
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    9,784

    Fritschi Tecton

    Hang on, the issue with ROM is the binding? Iím literally confused and asking... seems like youíd have to have some huge fucking strides for that to be an issue?

  3. #803
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    10,776
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Hang on, the issue with ROM is the binding? Iím literally confused and asking... seems like youíd have to have some huge fucking strides for that to be an issue?
    That's my conclusion too. There are some squaredoff toebox boots where the forward ROM is really limited. But you can see in my pic of the Mercury and gavin's pic of the Vulcan ( which are pretty standard toeboxes) that it doesn't come into play for normal ROM of a tour stride. What am I missing?

  4. #804
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Lower Mainland
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    That's my conclusion too. There are some squaredoff toebox boots where the forward ROM is really limited. But you can see in my pic of the Mercury and gavin's pic of the Vulcan ( which are pretty standard toeboxes) that it doesn't come into play for normal ROM of a tour stride. What am I missing?
    Only thing I can think of is maybe he did his original bench test with the binding still in ski mode, so he would be hitting the bumper much earlier. I'm assuming in your pic the bumper has been ground down? Any issues with forward release?

  5. #805
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    No longer somewhere in Idaho
    Posts
    783
    I did the bench test to compare after skinning a full day and being bummed. Iíll be getting out again tomorrow, maybe Iíll get used to it. I did the bench tests in tour mode, with the bumper forwards. It only bothered me on kick turns with high lifters, and on the back leg on longer strides on low angle tracks. Iíd hit it every step. And it literally took ten minutes on admittedly terrible skinning surface to punch in the toe, didnít even fall.
    The lack of complaints is part of my surprise; leaving the sled it reminded me of duke style range, hitting the end of the travel so soon. I didnít even try it at home because Iíd heard nothing to make me expect it. Anyway, maybe its just has to be Vulcans or nothing. Thanks for the pics and advice, Iíll look closer on a bigger screen.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

  6. #806
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Lower Mainland
    Posts
    151
    Vulcans would probably help. I imagine issues with hitting the bumper when skinning would be style-dependent (I would think really long strides or picking up your feet would cause more issues). Are you skinning with the tongues in the boots? Might have better luck without the tongues in the TLT6s to get more ROM out of your boots so you're less reliant on the bindings to maximize that. Still a sucky issue though, I wish BD had made it more clear that this was a possibility. As it is I'll probably be looking to change boots next season.

  7. #807
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    10,776
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinski91 View Post
    Only thing I can think of is maybe he did his original bench test with the binding still in ski mode, so he would be hitting the bumper much earlier. I'm assuming in your pic the bumper has been ground down? Any issues with forward release?
    Hey gavin this is the OG bumper. I get about maybe 5 to 10 deg more with bumper ground down. Not really all that much more. I'll shoot a pic for nickel and you

    Riff not giving you a hard time but I haven't had issues hitting Vulcan ZeroG MtnLab HawX Lupo with Tecton or Vipec toe skinning or kickturns

    But all in all definitely agree that Fritschi BD could have should have communicated better that the toe bumper feature was deliberate and the toe punch possibility.

    New toes are hitting Noram sometime this month. I'll tear them down and see how they're different and if any more mods are possible

  8. #808
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    No longer somewhere in Idaho
    Posts
    783
    No worries Lee, mostly just curious about the consensus. Iíll get out with the Vulcans sooner or later.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

  9. #809
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Truckee
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Who did you email? I never got a tracking number or confirmation email but I paid through PayPal...


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Send a query under get help

    And they answer with customerservice@barrabes.com

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

  10. #810
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    Send a query under get help

    And they answer with customerservice@barrabes.com

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app
    Arriving tomorrow!
    Buy used mount your own skis build a quiver

  11. #811
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Truckee
    Posts
    982
    Sick!

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

  12. #812
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Fristchi's video on leashes (for the Vipec): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyctUiSS6dM

    Not sure where else you'd put it. Certainly not on the toe lock-out lever.
    Bump for response from BD:

    Quote Originally Posted by BD person named Sharri
    Thanks for reaching out. As far as I know, there isnít a dedicated spot for leashes on the tecton or vipec toe piece. I think youíd just need to find a good spot for a girth hitch on both ends. The video you put in is probably the best way to do it.
    sproing!

  13. #813
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    529
    To the issue of the leash attachment...

    Fristchi very much did consider that metal loop for leash attachment. There is a channel in the mold that perfectly fits the metal cable. When I was switching my vipecs between skis I took a photo. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0850.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	258359

    Wish they could have included that in the manual, it's way more streamline and less sketchy than putting it through the toe lever.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

  14. #814
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    To the issue of the leash attachment...

    Fristchi very much did consider that metal loop for leash attachment. There is a channel in the mold that perfectly fits the metal cable. When I was switching my vipecs between skis I took a photo. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0850.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	258359

    Wish they could have included that in the manual, it's way more streamline and less sketchy than putting it through the toe lever.
    That is one stellar bit of advice. Thanks!

    Does anyone know of a source for a finished loop of said cable, or do I need to swage my own. I didn't see anything on skimo.co.

    Mo' tools?
    https://www.amazon.com/Glarks-Crimpi...ble+swage+tool


    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  15. #815
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    That is one stellar bit of advice. Thanks!

    Does anyone know of a source for a finished loop of said cable, or do I need to swage my own. I didn't see anything on skimo.co.

    Mo' tools?
    https://www.amazon.com/Glarks-Crimpi...ble+swage+tool


    ... Thom
    This looks like the finished product - https://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/pro...ety-strap-set/
    sproing!

  16. #816
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    529
    I use the Dynafit leashes and they came with that metal loop. You could also use 100% dyneema braid line like this with a double fisherman's knot for closing the loop.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

  17. #817
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    289
    hah - that just makes too much sense! Good photo for #ultimateclarification

    one just has to admire the mag-community's ability to share knowledge!

  18. #818
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    hah - that just makes too much sense! Good photo for #ultimateclarification

    one just has to admire the mag-community's ability to share knowledge!
    Especially for touring gear that gets small distribution!
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

  19. #819
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    26
    Here are some photos of the 90mm 17/18 Tectons () mounted onto my V6 with a 96mm waist. The first photo is with the brake arms deployed. The tips when deployed are about 109mm apart, so there's about 6.5mm of clearance on each side. The second photo is of the brake arms level with the topsheet. As shown, the tips just grazes the ski edges, so about 96mm apart. However, tested it out and the brakes deployed without issue.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181201_134058.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	258408

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181201_134500.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	258411

  20. #820
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    39,790
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    hah - that just makes too much sense! Good photo for #ultimateclarification

    one just has to admire the mag-community's ability to share knowledge!
    word
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  21. #821
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    197

    Garmont Radium

    Ok here goes,
    Did a quick and dirty plank mount of the tectons to see if the my radiums would have issues

    I mentioned a friction under the toes in walk mode. The tip of teh soles rub over the metal plate while pivoting forward:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tecton2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	323.5 KB 
ID:	258510

    Angle where it touches:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tecton1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	258511

    Its not much and i really don't know if i'd notice it with the swingweight/momentum of walking or if i'd ever stride that far. Just wondered if anyone else noticed this.

    You can easily push past even with the hand. Full extension:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tecton3.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	339.0 KB 
ID:	258515

    I'm off to try on son Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pros tomorrow...

  22. #822
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    whistler
    Posts
    828
    This seems like a non issue, and if you decide it is an issue then a quick 69 seconds with a file should sort you out.

  23. #823
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    10,776
    Tecton toe filed a.bit for.nickel...I dont take off much.

    Second pic.shows.how much the Vulcan can pivot forward. Not really.much more

  24. #824
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Tecton toe filed a.bit for.nickel...I dont take off much.

    Second pic.shows.how much the Vulcan can pivot forward. Not really.much more
    Does filing down the toe bumper affect the release mechanism at all while in ski mode?

  25. #825
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    10,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Havn View Post
    Does filing down the toe bumper affect the release mechanism at all while in ski mode?
    I filed down to the point where.it didn't. Could.have gone further

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •