Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1319

Thread: Fritschi Tecton

Fritschi Tecton

I appreciate learning about this stuff - all any of us can do is share our own experience

https://skimo.co/bnd-shims

there’s probably a reason B&D sells a 6.4mm shim for Tecton
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I hope i didnt steer the op's question in the wrong diection, or stancs as it were. Kid kap is a good numbers guy so that had me thinking. Its been a while since i went back to back w/wo risers on my tectons on a ski i had. I thought i remenbered liking it but maybe the boot affected that opinion and in tge end i couldnt make the ski work for me and sold it.
    When i think of a poor delta i think of seeing my self and others on a dynafit radical. It looks and feels goofy. Front of the boot noticeably down below the heel. Terrible feeling too. It was night and day after i put a toe riser in. Toe riser did take weight off the tips and to the tails more. It wasnt a ton of shift but noticeable. I think just being more level to the ski just gives a bunch more predictability as well. Being on an even fulcrum point so its easier to switch pressure for/aft. Im fine with pivots but i could see having a couple mm higher toe but thats hair splitting at that point

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

The delta on tectons are 10mm heel high approximately if I am not mistaken. With my tiny BSL it felt like I was tippy toeing around especially in variable snow. I unfortunately haven’t been able to get out and test them out yet sadly to see the difference but I think it will have a large positive impact on allowing a more natural pressure on the tongues. I may say screw it and try to ski them inbounds tomorrow on a Monday pow day but we will see.

Could I ask the collective opinions on Vipec vs Tecton - how much better does the Tecton ski for the extra weight? Will be for an 90/10 touring/resort setup, mainly lift accessed from Whistler. May ski inbounds on the way to/from touring but would not be used for a full day inbounds.

maybe the reason I don’t notice the delta (besides being a fkn beater) is that I have a large foot (BSL 337)

this makes me wonder about the delta on my girlfriend’s Dynafit Rotation 7….

I like my tectons I think they ski really well but the truth of the matter is I don’t find myself in many situations where I’m like dam I’m really glad I’m not on a pin heel here. I do find myself making more calm and less aggressive choices in the BC but I think that’s most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by soupcan66 View Post
    I like my tectons I think they ski really well but the truth of the matter is I don’t find myself in many situations where I’m like dam I’m really glad I’m not on a pin heel here. I do find myself making more calm and less aggressive choices in the BC but I think that’s most of us.
    I'm with Soupcan here, have the v1 Vipec Evo 12 (the toe denter) and a v2 Tecton...I don't ski hard enough in the BC to notice the difference and I am mildly frustrated that lighter weight boots I'm considering might not even be officially compatible with the Tecton.

I'm taking it even one step further though and mounting some Xenics to trial.

Quote Originally Posted by samp View Post
    Could I ask the collective opinions on Vipec vs Tecton - how much better does the Tecton ski for the extra weight? Will be for an 90/10 touring/resort setup, mainly lift accessed from Whistler. May ski inbounds on the way to/from touring but would not be used for a full day inbounds.
    Vipec. I can’t tell much difference skiing wise. I would shim the toe if you’re sensitive to steep binding delta.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I agree with Going Coastal. I’ve never skied Vipecs but pins to Tectons is pretty noticeable and for whatever the difference is (550 Vipecs to 600 Tecton grams?) Tectons seemed like a no brainer.

I think I accidentally deleted my post because I suck at the internet, but yeah the weight penalty isnt big, something like 50g.

The Tectons ski a little better depending on how you ski and what your skiing, but I really prefer the transition from walk to ski on the Tecton. I had Vipecs transition unexpectedly a few times, which is mechanically impossible with the Tecton. I think it was a slightly large heal gap that was causing it, never had it happen again after I adjusted.

But the Vipecs ski a lot better than a traditional pin in my experience as well, so I'm team Tecton but the difference between them really isn't that big.

Fritschi Tecton

Just here to say I wish I had tecton’ed a slackcountry setup rather than shifts. Unfortunately no turning back with too many holes to drill more. Ya live and ya learn
    Last edited by TripleT; 02-27-2023 at 12:22 AM.

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm definitely in the not skiing hard enough to notice the difference category, though it's interesting the weight difference is only 50g that is less than I realized.

I wish I had tecton’ed a slackcountry setup rather than shifts.
    This is to replace a 2200g ski + shift setup and am going to ~1800g ski + vipec/tecton so either way it should be a big improvement.

Tectons + V-werks Katanas has been ideal for Whistler slackcountry for me. Skis fine inbounds too. Hawx XTDs rounds out the package.

Quote Originally Posted by samp View Post
    Ski'd both the vipecs and tectons for years. You do notice the lack of heel elasticity in the Vipecs inbounds, but having the elasticity in the toes really does help. The Tectons are a notable difference in better downhill performance and they are only the slightest bit not as good as full alpine bindings. But if you're really just looking to use them to access bc terrain off of the resort the Vipecs would be just fine. Also the Vipecs ski better than any other tech binding (minus Tecton of course), and I'd put them equal if not better with Kingpins for dh performance but you don't have to worry about your front pins going missing, they're WAY lighter, and you can easily do ski on transitions.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

The ski in/out at Whistler is relatively mild compared to all other touring spots that go through a lot refrozen trails and subalpine. No one needs a tecton to get down from Duffey. You don't need a tecton to ski the cat track at Whistler.

broke the small plastic piece right in front of the toe - seems to ski just fine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1678132316.801281.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	450693

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1678132316.801281.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	450693
    I think that may be the forward fall release nub that broke. The nub that was denting the toe on boots. The new nub design looks a little easier on boots. I guess you lose that one release feature on that toe. I think theyll still have more release features than a traditional pin tech binding like a dfit speed turn type. Could be a good thing if they warrantee it for the new toes

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

yeah I’m going to send in a warranty claim when I get home

Fritschi Tecton

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Ski'd both the vipecs and tectons for years. You do notice the lack of heel elasticity in the Vipecs inbounds, but having the elasticity in the toes really does help. The Tectons are a notable difference in better downhill performance and they are only the slightest bit not as good as full alpine bindings. But if you're really just looking to use them to access bc terrain off of the resort the Vipecs would be just fine. Also the Vipecs ski better than any other tech binding (minus Tecton of course), and I'd put them equal if not better with Kingpins for dh performance but you don't have to worry about your front pins going missing, they're WAY lighter, and you can easily do ski on transitions.
    Vipecs have heel elasticity, the only difference that I can feel between Vipecs and Tectons is the Vipecs have a higher delta.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Vipecs have heel elasticity, the only difference that I can feel between Vipecs and Tectons is the Vipecs have a higher delta.
    No, the Vipecs do not.

They have ski flex compensation that utilizes a spring for that action, like many other modern fully featured tech bindings that try to claim "elastic travel". Race style u-spring bindings achieve it through a 4-6mm heel gap. Vipecs do not have elastic heel travel/retention in the vertical or lateral direction. The Tectons DO have elastic heel retention in the vertical direction just like an alpine binding.

Try riding Vipecs and Tectons all day in the resort. You'll notice a difference.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    You don't need a tecton to ski the cat track at Whistler.
    This is definitely true, but I ended up getting the tecton as the 50g weight difference seemed worth it for the potentially better downhill performance.

Am looking into the actual Tectron 13. Does anyone know whether Fritschi fixed the boot toe denting issue during a forward fall in climbing mode or does the stepin still need to be grinded down?
    Thanks.

yes, the forward release nob is now wider and distributes the pressure better over the toe box.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    No, the Vipecs do not.

They have ski flex compensation that utilizes a spring for that action, like many other modern fully featured tech bindings that try to claim "elastic travel". Race style u-spring bindings achieve it through a 4-6mm heel gap. Vipecs do not have elastic heel travel/retention in the vertical or lateral direction. The Tectons DO have elastic heel retention in the vertical direction just like an alpine binding.

Try riding Vipecs and Tectons all day in the resort. You'll notice a difference.
    I used them both all day at a resort. The difference is minimal. Yes the tecton feels more like an alpine binding. The Vipecs do have longitudinal elasticity and that helps smooth the ride