Page 30 of 53 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Fritschi Tecton

This format should be easier to read, and hopefully not get screwed up when viewing on mobile.

"Stated size": Tip width when passing topsheet > Tip width fully-deployed (Bare brake tip width, not in binding)

"90mm": 91 > 110 (135)
    "100mm": 102 > 122 (152)
    "110mm": 110 > 130 (157)
    "120mm": 130 > 147 (170)

As you can see, the stated widths are actually pretty accurate, except for the "120mm" size, which should really be called 130mm (as of the 2017 and 2018 seasons anyway, maybe they changed it for 2019). The "Tip width when passing topsheet" is the critical dimension, since you don't want the tips to get stuck on the topsheet instead of deploying after binding release.

Any of the brake arms can fit skis about 8mm wider than the "Tips at Topsheet" measurement if you grind off the inner points of the plastic brake arm ends at an angle. With the brakes mounted, move the brakes from stowed-to-deployed to see where they need to be ground to clear the topsheets. (If you do a heavier grind, you could go an additional 10mm or so.) So with a mild inner tip grind, "90" brakes could probably fit 99mm width ski, "100" brakes could fit a 110mm ski, "110" brakes could fit a 118mm ski, and "120" brakes could fit a 138mm ski. This is without even bending the brake arms.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 11-14-2018 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks @1000_oaks for the further clarification. So it does seem then that I'd have to file the tips in order to fit the 90s on my 96mm ski?

^ Probably, depending on if it's a cap ski, or has angled sidewalls, or vertical sidewalls. Once installed and you move the brakes through the range of motion, you'll see how much needs to get knocked off, shouldn't be much.

Quote Originally Posted by Havn View Post
    Overall, I'm a bit undecided between this and the Shift. Based on my understanding, both are good 1-quiver bindings with the Shift leaning a bit more to the downhill side (alpine toe, more elasticity, etc...) while the Tecton leans more to the touring side (lighter, more riser settings, ability stay locked in during transitions, etc...). I grew up boarding, but just started transitioning to skiing last season.
    One consideration re: the Tectons is that they are a PITA to get out of if you don't have poles handy, as (like with most pin bindings) you need to depress the toe lever to release the toe, and it's rather challenging to do that with the opposing ski. I don't think that issue exists with the Shift.

For general recreational skiing, I don't see it being an issue, but as a race coach, even the one day I spent working on Tectons was rather annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    One consideration re: the Tectons is that they are a PITA to get out of if you don't have poles handy, as (like with most pin bindings) you need to depress the toe lever to release the toe, and it's rather challenging to do that with the opposing ski. I don't think that issue exists with the Shift.

For general recreational skiing, I don't see it being an issue, but as a race coach, even the one day I spent working on Tectons was rather annoying.
    So race coaches and park skiers should avoid Tectons... Everyone else is gonna have poles.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Just my $0.02, but I don't see why anyone would want to ski on toe pins unless they're actually touring regularly. If someone plans to be inbounds more than 50% of the time, get Shifts or CAST for safer toe release. Or just have a second pair of skis with pin bindings for touring.

lol... I'm picturing someone in the terrain park or half pipe on tech bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ Probably, depending on if it's a cap ski, or has angled sidewalls, or vertical sidewalls. Once installed and you move the brakes through the range of motion, you'll see how much needs to get knocked off, shouldn't be much.
    Just my $0.02, but I don't see why anyone would want to ski on toe pins unless they're actually touring regularly. If someone plans to be inbounds more than 50% of the time, get Shifts or CAST for safer toe release. Or just have a second pair of skis with pin bindings for touring.
    Thanks for the additional clarification regarding the fitment. I have the Voile V6, but can't remember what sidewall construction they have. Regarding the type of binding, ideally would love a dedicated downhill and touring setup, but it isn't in the cards at this time, so settling for the one-ski quiver.

Thanks for the insight, it's much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Havn View Post
    Thanks for the additional clarification regarding the fitment. I have the Voile V6, but can't remember what sidewall construction they have. Regarding the type of binding, ideally would love a dedicated downhill and touring setup, but it isn't in the cards at this time, so settling for the one-ski quiver.
    Voiles are cap construction, though the topsheets do taper a bit toward the edges.

You should be fine on either a Tecton or a Shift. For your stated purposes, I'd probably go Shift, but it won't really matter. Tectons ski so close to my Salomon and Look alpine bindings that even if I concentrate on it, I'm not sure I can tell the difference. Certainly not enough that I'm not feeling the different skis they're on more than the bindings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    So race coaches and park skiers should avoid Tectons... Everyone else is gonna have poles.
    ...and patrollers, maybe video and photo types, and possibly parents of small children who want their hands free to pick their kids up. It's not something I would have thought of us a particular annoyance, but in the 3-5% of the times that it comes into play, it's f'ing annoying. If I want it to be a PITA to get in and out of my skis, I can always break out the tele gear.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    lol... I'm picturing someone in the terrain park or half pipe on tech bindings.
    When you go touring at your local hill before the lifts are spinning and the end of your last lap lands you in a rail jam session on the rope tow...

I’m just saying it’s happened.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    When you go touring at your local hill before the lifts are spinning and the end of your last lap lands you in a rail jam session on the rope tow...

I’m just saying it’s happened.
    and you ditch your poles to fit in?

I'm real interested in the tectons. My first order of business will be removing the brakes. Lou has a nice write-up: https://www.wildsnow.com/22447/frits...emove-install/
    I came here to ask about folks' experience removing these brakes and found all sorts of posts about brake sizes, etc. Just curious, why do you all keep the brakes on? To me they're just extra weight, get in the way when touring, and are useless in powder. I guess if you're on area often they're marginally easier to deal with than a leash? But why tectons then? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

a question I've been asking myself lately. considering going brakeless.

I figured the purpose of brakes in pow was to make the ski drag a bit so it flips over tumbles and buries the tip to stop.

I ran brakeless on L138s with Vipecs. I added brakes when I swapped to Tectons.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I use brakes because I use the skis mostly in sidecoutry terrain and in mornings on deep powder days. Just easier to deal with when Gondolas and firm snow transitions are involved.

Is it true that one needs to mount the leash on a tecton around one of the toe mounting screws? Anyone care to throw up their favorite leash configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by seanyutah View Post
    I'm real interested in the tectons. My first order of business will be removing the brakes. Lou has a nice write-up: https://www.wildsnow.com/22447/frits...emove-install/
    I came here to ask about folks' experience removing these brakes and found all sorts of posts about brake sizes, etc. Just curious, why do you all keep the brakes on? To me they're just extra weight, get in the way when touring, and are useless in powder. I guess if you're on area often they're marginally easier to deal with than a leash? But why tectons then? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    The Tecton and Vipec brakes work. They slow and stop runaway skis in pow. Don't confuse them with the older Dynafit binding brakes

AT boots are good for course work putting up B-nets with frame bindings but not with any lowtech binding, I couldn't get out easily carrying nets and clearing pin holes was a hassle so if i skipped the clearing ritual the skis fell off a lot so IME working while riding a lowtech binding sucks
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

This format should be easier to read, and hopefully not get screwed up when viewing on mobile.

"Stated size": Tip width when passing topsheet > Tip width fully-deployed (Bare brake tip width, not in binding)

"90mm": 91 > 110 (135)
    "100mm": 102 > 122 (152)
    "110mm": 110 > 130 (157)
    "120mm": 130 > 147 (170)

As you can see, the stated widths are actually pretty accurate, except for the "120mm" size, which should really be called 130mm (as of the 2017 and 2018 seasons anyway, maybe they changed it for 2019). The "Tip width when passing topsheet" is the critical dimension, since you don't want the tips to get stuck on the topsheet instead of deploying after binding release.

Any of the brake arms can fit skis about 8mm wider than the "Tips at Topsheet" measurement if you grind off the inner points of the plastic brake arm ends at an angle. With the brakes mounted, move the brakes from stowed-to-deployed to see where they need to be ground to clear the topsheets. (If you do a heavier grind, you could go an additional 10mm or so.) So with a mild inner tip grind, "90" brakes could probably fit 99mm width ski, "100" brakes could fit a 110mm ski, "110" brakes could fit a 118mm ski, and "120" brakes could fit a 138mm ski. This is without even bending the brake arms.
    Received my 90mm Tectons today. Surprisingly fast shipping from Barrabes. Though I have not mounted them onto my V6 skis yet, I did put one of the brakes into the brake clip/housing (not sure of official term) and placed it on the ski. In the deployed mode, the brakes easily cleared the 96mm waist of the V6.

Was curious so also placed the brake on my BD Boundary 100 ski and it also cleared it with room to spare. Eyeballing it, I'd say there was an additional 5 mm of clearance at the brake tip. Will try to provide some exact measurements later on.

The measurements given by @1000-Oaks are spot on.

Just orderd a set over barrabes, thanks for the heads up, hadn't come across them before (may be it was in the shift vs tecton thread?) Best black friday deal i could find going for 436€. Got 110 brakes for CD114 Ls. Will post the fit when i've got them mounted

Also just picked up Tectons on Barrabes. Price in CAD with shipping 563.xx

Pretty ridiculous deal for a non-proform type thing. Available until midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Also just picked up Tectons on Barrabes. Price in CAD with shipping 563.xx

Pretty ridiculous deal for a non-proform type thing. Available until midnight.
    Use WELCOME5 for another 5% off. Mine $402 shipped to US

Gonna sell my vipec which I haven't mounted

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Use WELCOME5 for another 5% off. Mine $402 shipped to US

Gonna sell my vipec which I haven't mounted
    tried that and bugged the site. assumed it was dead code.

rats.

Searched a fair amount but to not avail. Has anyone had any luck with using the Arc Procline Boots and the Tectons? On the official compatibility guide is says compatible with boot adapters and I've seen the heel adapters for the backland/tlt but not sure if those will fit the Arc boots and info online is scarce. I know this is probably an uncommon boot/binding combo given the markets of each product but I got a super good deal on the boots and they fit me well...
    Thanks!