Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Fritschi Tecton

I thought that the brakes themselves were the same between tectons and vipecs even though the rest of the mechanism may be slightly different? Maybe the skinnier brakes don't fit on tectons, I don't know. But Moosejaw sells Vipec brakes alone down to 80mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Carpet View Post
    Not for Tectons.

Also BD does not list brakes smaller than 100 on their page. But the 100 is called “medium” leaving room for a “small”.
    Same brake.

https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...8_10000001_-1_

Good to know. Of course now mixing the different sizes of Vipec and Tecton brakes turns into brake width Russian roulette.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Carpet View Post
    Good to know. Of course now mixing the different sizes of Vipec and Tecton brakes turns into brake width Russian roulette.
    Yeah, we don't know for example if a 110 brake fits a wider ski when mounted to a Tecton vs. mounting to a Vipec Evo.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

FYI you cannot put a Tecton heel on a Vipec heel track. You can get a Vipec heel on a Tecton track, but it will have a slight play... not advised.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Some brake arm measurements taken on a Tecton heel, measured from the inside of the tips of the plastic ends. Might help folks figure out what they actually have, and what ski width the brake will fit.

---------- Unmounted Arm -------- Tips at ---------- Tips Fully
    ---------------- (tip to tip) ------------Topsheet -------- Deployed

90 ------------- 135 ------------------- 91 ------------------ 110
    100 ------------ 152 ----------------- 102 ----------------- 122
    110 ------------- 157 ----------------- 108 ----------------- 130
    120 ------------ 170 ----------------- 130 ----------------- 147

Some details:
    • There seems to have been some brakes labeled "115mm" in 2017 that were actually 110mm brake arms.

• Any of the brake arms can fit skis about 8mm wider than the "Tips at Topsheet" measurement if you grind off the inner points of the plastic brake arm ends a bit. (With the brakes mounted, move the brakes from stowed to deployed to see where they need to be ground to clear the topsheets.) If you do a heavier grind, you could go an additional 10mm or so. So with a moderate inner tip grind, "90" brakes could probably fit 101mm width ski, "100" brakes could fit a 112mm ski, "110" brakes could fit a 118mm ski, and "130" brakes could fit a 140mm ski. This is without even bending the brake arms.

• Interestingly, the "115" (110) and 120 brake arms are the same from the middle to the first bend, and a more shallow bend angle (followed by a tighter outer bend) is what makes the 120 wider. Adjusting the ~45 degree bend angles in a vise should be a lot easier than modifying alpine brakes with 90 degree bends, since you can play with minor changes to the two existing bends instead of completely relocating full 90 degree bends.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 02-08-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Yeah, we don't know for example if a 110 brake fits a wider ski when mounted to a Tecton vs. mounting to a Vipec Evo.
    ... Thom
    Don't know about the Evo, but there wasn't a difference at the critical point (when the arm tips cross the topsheet plane) using the same arm on a Vipec Black vs the Tecton.

Can you run the Tecton without a brake and just go with a strap?

Quote Originally Posted by Choucas View Post
    Can you run the Tecton without a brake and just go with a strap?
    Yes. Saves you very little weight and unlike dynafit it doesn't make it easier to operate the binding. But if you are rocking DPS Spoons and the brakes won't fit, sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Some brake arm measurements taken on a Tecton heel, measured from the inside of the tips of the plastic ends (where it counts when the brake is trying to deploy and clear the ski). Might help folks figure out what they actually have, and what ski width the brake will fit.

V=2017 (and possibly earlier) Vipec arm
    T=2018 Tecton arm

---------------- Bare arm -------------- Fully -------------- Tips at
    ---------------- (tip to tip) ----------- Deployed ---------Topsheet

90 V ------------- 135 ------------------ 110 ------------------- 91 -----
    100 V ------------ 152 ----------------- 122 ----------------- 102 -----
    110 V* ------------ 157 ----------------- 130 ----------------- 108 -----
    120 T ------------ 170 ------------------ 147 ----------------- 130 -----

* This pair was purchased separately and the package was labeled "115 Vipec", which is obviously way off.

As you can see, not a big jump from 100mm to 110mm 2017 Vipec brakes, but a huge jump from 110 Vipec brakes to 120 Tecton brakes.

Interestingly, the 110 and 120 brakes are the same from the middle to the first bend, and a more shallow bend angle (followed by a tighter outer bend) is what makes the 120 wider. Adjusting the ~45 degree bend angles in a vise should be a lot easier than modifying alpine brakes with 90 degree bends, since you can play with minor changes to the two existing bends instead of completely relocating full 90 degree bends.
    Thanks for this, I guess if the bindings work without flaw the guesstimating of brake sizes is a worthy trade off

My experience after three days of early season touring and a day of lift serve mirrors everyone else's. These are easy to operate, don't appear to be overly prone to icing or any other issues while touring and ski really well. I was especially impressed with them while mobbing through end-of-day chunder at the ski hill. They felt smooth, powerful and pretty well disappeared below my feet, which is about all I could ever ask of any binding, let alone a reasonably light weight and efficient touring binding.
    The brakes are definitely wider than advertised, but I prefer that to last year's Vipec situation I think.
    I'll update as I get more days on them, but so far I am stoked on these.

Anybody have a Tecton tech manual that they'd be willing to post?

^ This Vipec guide will help with toe adjustment: https://www.wildsnow.com/11228/mount...ritschi-vipec/

With Tecnica Cochise

I have 6 days now on my Tecton's and I like them very much except for getting my toe peice to hit the pin holes on my 2017 Tecnica Cochise boots. Is the toe "bumper" adjustable?

This happened when a guy fell over while touring on Tecton:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4807a48a9540e23cb222b13ea47645d2.jpg 
Views:	870 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	218044

^WTF?!

That is some serious invagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Moralkaka View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4807a48a9540e23cb222b13ea47645d2.jpg 
Views:	870 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	218044
    Wow...that's odd. Did that boot have a ton of work done in the toebox or is that plastic just that soft?

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Been crossing my fingers that the little plastic sliding cam parts in the new toe don't ice up and hinder release in a knee fall or vertical heel release...wish they would have kept the pre-2018 Vipec's boot adapter clips. KISS principle. The new cam assembly isn't greased from the factory, but I worked a bit of grease into mine to hopefully prevent lockup due to ice.

No snow to ski them yet here, hope this issue was a big toe punch or something. (Tell me Vipec Black toes aren't going to be coveted, after I just sold mine, lol.) The Tecton/Evo toe trigger definitely makes them easier to step in, which is nice but not a real big deal, especially if forward release can be adversely affected.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-05-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Wow...that's odd. Did that boot have a ton of work done in the toebox or is that plastic just that soft?
    I have Mtn Labs and the plastic is NOT that soft. Whoa indeed!

I've had just a couple days on Tecton but 8 days on the new Vipec EVO toes which are identical to Tecton. I haven't fallen over while touring and am pretty reluctant to duplicate a fall big enough to dent a boot like that. But I've found that the new toes are easier to get into than the old Vipec Blacks and that they work fine with Vulcans, Dalbello Lupo AX and Atomic Hawx. Ie the boots trigger the Toe release

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Been crossing my fingers that the little plastic sliding cam parts in the new toe don't ice up and hinder release in a knee fall or vertical heel release...wish they would have kept the pre-2018 Vipec's boot adapter clips. KISS principle. The new cam assembly isn't greased from the factory, but I worked a bit of grease into mine to hopefully prevent lockup due to ice.

No snow to ski them yet here, hope this issue was a big toe punch or something. (Tell me Vipec Black toes aren't going to be coveted, after I just sold mine, lol.) The Tecton/Evo toe trigger definitely makes them easier to step in, which is nice but not a real big deal, especially if release can be adversely affected.
    I mentioned in the vipec thread that ice builds up under the toe lever and it can pop the clip off. That would mess with toe release. I just taped mine. Still I never has release problems... but I never needed it. I don't fall.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I have Mtn Labs and the plastic is NOT that soft. Whoa indeed!

I've had just a couple days on Tecton but 8 days on the new Vipec EVO toes which are identical to Tecton. I haven't fallen over while touring and am pretty reluctant to duplicate a fall big enough to dent a boot like that. But I've found that the new toes are easier to get into than the old Vipec Blacks and that they work fine with Vulcans, Dalbello Lupo AX and Atomic Hawx. Ie the boots trigger the Toe release
    Not tested with the Sollys yet?

Sent fra min F5321 via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Not tested with the Sollys yet?
    I'll grab those and go for a walk with the Mtn Labs. Carpet test indicates it should be fine

Not calling bs...BUT I have trouble imagining the amount of force needed to do that could be done just by falling forward while touring...

How thin is the toe on those boots and what are those gouges from?
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

The dent even has the ridges from the toe release trigger, lol.
    http://www.momentumsports.co.nz/word...tecton-toe.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Moralkaka View Post
    And did they release?
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.