Page 25 of 53 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Fritschi Tecton

Quote Originally Posted by Solesides View Post
    Black Diamond and Fritschi have also put out an updated spec sheet with more information about boot incompatibility issues. Link here:

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...ts_2017-18.pdf

BD customer service has also offered me the option to swap out the Tecton heels for Vipec heels to address the issue. Good option because all you have to do is pull the heel and not the mounting plate for an easy swap without needing to redrill. I've decided to keep the Tecton heels and also purchase just the Vipec heels so I can keep using my TLT6s. If and when I get new (and compatible) boots, I'll go back to the Tecton heels. Not an awesome solution but it works for me..

Edit: Watched the video Lee posted and realize the Vipec heels do nothing for the toe piece incompatibility issues that are also a factor with the TLT6. As I communicated to BD, would've been nice to have that information prior to purchasing, mounting and skiing..but better late than never?
    da faq. tlt6 needs an adapter but the Speedfit is a ok without one?

IT'S THE SAME LOWER SHELL. Glad I at least have the kingpin adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I use my pole for mode changes on the king pin every time. Not bad at all, assuming the heel track is clear. The tecton is probably easier though, just from looking.

WAY easier
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    This may have been talked about already, but I use kingpin adapters on my tlt6, seems like this would help keep you on tecton heels...

TGR Forums
    It has been discussed, but I still have not received a clear answer, or seen photos to confirm, whether once you install the Kingpin heel adapter, you can continue using the boots with normal tech heels like Ion, Radical, etc... Yes, I want the extra heel ledge on the TLT6 to make it safe to ski with the Tectons, but I also want to be able to switch over to other setups mounted with Ions, etc... Can anybody confirm that the Kingpin heel adapter (or any adapter available for purchase) can also can be used with two pin heels like Ion and Radical? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Solesides View Post
    It has been discussed, but I still have not received a clear answer, or seen photos to confirm, whether once you install the Kingpin heel adapter, you can continue using the boots with normal tech heels like Ion, Radical, etc... Yes, I want the extra heel ledge on the TLT6 to make it safe to ski with the Tectons, but I also want to be able to switch over to other setups mounted with Ions, etc... Can anybody confirm that the Kingpin heel adapter (or any adapter available for purchase) can also can be used with two pin heels like Ion and Radical? Thanks
    Yes you can. All the adaptor is a heel length extender so the only proviso is that the binding length is increased to allow for the longer sole length to maintain the correct gap between the boot heel and the binding. The Dynafit Power Insert adds about a mm to the length and the Marker DIN Adaptor adds 3-4mm IIRC.

finally mounted and skied mine lift served today. sooooo much easier to get into than my white 2.0 Vipecs.

After half a run I didn't even consider what binding I was clicked into, just went skiing

Got a half day in the BC on them. Multiple forward falls on an icy skin track, but I was skinning with the toe in ski mode, so I came out before I dimpled my boot and my knee landed on the ski tip each time...

Seems higher risk than I'd like it to be, but it worked out just fine.

I'm still tempted to remount the toe with my vipec black toe, but I have a different ski in mind for those...

I've gone from verticals to radicals to kingpins to vipecs to tectons. They really do ski incredibly well. I don't think the others are worth comparing anymore.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Yes you can. All the adaptor is a heel length extender so the only proviso is that the binding length is increased to allow for the longer sole length to maintain the correct gap between the boot heel and the binding. The Dynafit Power Insert adds about a mm to the length and the Marker DIN Adaptor adds 3-4mm IIRC.
    Thanks for that, and your earlier reply too actually.

Even a month ago they weren't available in Canada, but appers MEC just started carrying them: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5042-3...apter-AT-Boots

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Just saw that Fritschi now says Tecton works with Hoji boot. I'll grab a pair to test as I was told differently.
    Any word on this Lee? I find it hard to believe...

Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    Any word on this Lee? I find it hard to believe...
    Haven't grabbed a boot to check yet

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Haven't grabbed a boot to check yet
    You mean you haven’t blown them up yet? lol... I mean, I kind of get the sense you aren’t a fan! ;-)
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    You mean you haven’t blown them up yet? lol... I mean, I kind of get the sense you aren’t a fan! ;-)
    TBH I havent' followed up with getting a pair. Dynafit doesn't have unlimited marketing dollars and i've not made any pains to hide how disappointing their asinine thinking is behind boot design so maybe it's better they don't waste the small samples they have on me. It's such a shame really

Back to Tecton and Evo

FYI I just found out that Fritsch Freeride brakes work fine on Vipec and EVO. Good cost savings because there are boxes and boxes of those brakes around in storage rooms

On left the FR brake with the mounting bracket. Just snap it out of the bracket and stick it in the Vipec/Tecton holder.

Attachment 228024

Another PSA. Remember to hold the brake down to ease it into tour mode and stow it away. The steps - use your hand to press brake into brake-pad; then engage tour mode lever at heel.

The Fritschi video saying you can hit the tour mode lever then stomp it down is WRONG. The BD advice to grease with white lithium grease or use some sort of silicone spray is WRONG. It'll work for a bit then snow will get in and strip all the lube away. All you'll do is break the brake pads. The BD/Fritschi spew that this is "rare" is BS> It's happening all too often and in the spring when there's more wet snow, ice buildup on brake pads it'll happen more

Attachment 228025

So that’s why they removed the video. Based on your experience I’ve just been putting the brakes up by hand and it’s no big deal really, but good to know I’m not being overly cautious.

On another note at first I thought the heel transitions were kind of awkward but now that I’m used to it I’m a huge fan. Less cleaning necessary, at least IME.

I took a file to the toe piece that dimples boots.

Early (like 5 swipes in)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3505.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	412.8 KB 
ID:	228896

Finished

Name:	IMG_3506.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	408.5 KB 
ID:	228897

Name:	IMG_3507.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	343.9 KB 
ID:	228898

Sounds like I need to stop stomping my way into tour mode...

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post

Early (like 5 swipes in)

Finished

What makes you think this will stop the dimpling? And does it still release in ski mode?

Anyone using the Hoji boot and Tecton might find kick turns problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post

Early (like 5 swipes in)

Finished

Good idea. Seems like having a less pointy and lower bump stop would make this less susceptible to punching the shell

I thought I might do that. It’s nice to have that release feature that the bump provides but I’m more concerned with preserving my boot, especially with all the other release features the binding has. A big part of the reason that I like these is the ski so well. I wonder if that bump could be ground into a concave to mimick the shape of the toe of the boot and apply the single sided sticky padding that Lee had thought about trying

I’m just not that concerned about it... knowing the issue it’s in the back of my mind when skinning and I’ve been extra careful to avoid forward falls, as they tend to be fairly predictable. Of course I just jinxed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by telemon10 View Post
    What makes you think this will stop the dimpling? And does it still release in ski mode?
    It’s less pointy. The contact area of this piece against the toe of the boot is larger. I’m no mechanical engineer, but...the physics check out.

I also, despite trying to be careful fell forward 3 times on my last tour, and only touring in ski mode saved my minty boots...

Although A friend at evo who is muchh bigger than I said he fell forward with both feet deliberately and couldn’t make the dimpling happen. So maybe I’m being overly paranoid. But I earned peace of mind in 5 minutes with a file. So that’s cool.

How often do you guys fall forward when skinning? I don't think that's ever happened to me. As far as the dimpling goes, I tried to rock out of the Tecton in ski and walk mode by swinging my foot back and forth and they just popped off. I looked at the toe of the boot and it was marred a little but nothing more than normal use would do on a touring boot. This is with Lupo ax 120s so it might be boot dependent.

Fritschi Tecton

^^i bet that’s a nice step up in skiing performance from a pintech setup. I screwed up my binding order and ended up with an evo and together with my lupo and that skis really well. Can only imagine tectonic w my lupo.
    More and more it’s sounding like it takes a good fall, with maybe some speed/sliding down in walk mode, to dimple boots. I occasional slip out and lose traction on an icy track or too steep or daydreaming and the odd time may end up with a knee down. It just seems like the boot contacts that nub a little to soon. The ability to get the knee closer to the ski on steep switchbacks might even help when pivoting around on the switchback

The ax 120 and Tecton combo feels indistinguishable from the ax 120 and STH 14/16 combo. For me the ax 120 is a one boot solution.

Is anyone seeing failures with the 1st gen tecton heel? My buddy already broke some plastic on one side of his. I don't own tecton's and am I'm curious what others are experiencing with this year 1 release.

Name:	IMG_20180320_183930.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	229213

Looking at the scoring, I'd like to see the other side and other heel piece. Looks like he hits his feet together a bunch, not that a binding should fail from that. And here I was going to replace my kingpins with these. Following.

Fritschi Tecton

That whole section is broken, huh? I guess a stiff kick to it if he hits his skis together while skiing or a step turn gone wrong could break that plastic but that’s disappointing.

I hedged and got kingpins as well because the heels on these were 1st year. Then all the KP failures and I bailed on them. These were my next up.

Is it plausible that this is the main place people go to (or one of them) to discuss any failures and that people who’s bindings are fine just don’t complain or approve either way? Reporting bias?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I don't think it matters if there's reporting bias. Failures are notable and positive experiences don't balance out negative ones. It's more important to figure out WHY something broke than if there's an overwhelming majority who don't experience issues.