Page 1 of 53 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Fritschi Tecton

Fritschi Tecton

The elves at Fritschi have definitely been busy. I like the following comment:
    From that Wildsonow post:
    Tecton heel ski flex compensation spring and length adjustment, same configuration as Vipec, works. Screw patterns for Tecton, Evo and prior Vipec are all the same — repeat — all the same.
    ... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-19-2016 at 10:27 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I like the bumper toe forward release mechanism.

I also like the alpine style heel. However, curious about how easy it is to change the risers with a ski pole. Looks like it'd be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

At 550g this could easily replace my Radical FTs.

very interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    At 550g this could easily replace my Radical FTs.
    550g with Vipec toe, and an alpine-style heel binding with downward pressure? YES PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    550g with Vipec toe, and an alpine-style heel binding with downward pressure? YES PLEASE
    Exactly - my Radical FTs ski good enough that I don't want to take a weight penalty, but if I could get all those features at the same or lower weight and the thing holds up, I'm in.

Let's hope they take some time (not ski traub time) to get it right unlike the first couple of editions of the Vipec.

Only been out on the Vipec Black 2 days so far, but very pleased with its ski feel and ease of use. My only initial concern is how the plastic will hold up. Skiing wider skis and I have narrow hips so edges have cut into the plastic some.

Think I have a 3 year warranty with the Vipec. With a warranty like that, this could be a combo binding.

Read the Wildsnow piece. Interesting heel junction. Liking my Beast masterfit inserts for that Also glad they kept the same hole pattern. Guessing the binding will keep the gentle heel/toe angle of the Vipec. 2 or 3 years out I might buy this, but just invested in the Vipec Black so an onlooker. To my uneducated casual observation the heel connection on the Black looks more substantial in terms of metal and design than the radical 1 heel.
    Last edited by cat in january; 12-19-2016 at 02:57 PM.

Lots of plastic and surprisingly light. It's difficult to imagine something not breaking far too easily.

My 1st gen vipecs have held up nicely. Only problem is how fidly they are to get in the toe... but that has since been fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Fritschi has a lot of experience with plastics (the Freerides, etc.), and I'm as comfortable with this as I am with any manufacturer.

I'm primarily interested if they can get the heel design right on the first try. As far as the toes are concerned, any improvements (i.e. entry) would be welcomed, but not necessary. This will be generation 4 for the toes.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-20-2016 at 09:32 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I am thinking about acquiring an AT setup, wonder if there will be any protos on snow this winter to get a read of performance compare the the kingpin and beast.

So they totally bailed on the vipec heel. The Fritches do luv that plastic.

I wanna say, Heck yeah! But we dun been down that road beefour.

Me waits.
    watch out for snakes

Name:  P1030159-power-cup-525x300.jpg
Views: 11422
Size:  29.8 KB

watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    So they totally bailed on the vipec heel. The Fritches do luv that plastic.

I wanna say, Heck yeah! But we dun been down that road beefour.

Me waits.
    Vipec is also being kept around

My only thought is that the heel lifts look hard to catch with your pole due to how the step-in lever goes vertical while in tour mode.

I like my Vipec Blacks, but have only skied a few days on them so can't comment long term on whether I feel like the toe step-in is fiddly. So far, my impression is that it's no worse than regular Radicals, and easier than Radical 2s.

Meh... never felt that the vipec needs heel elasticity.

I’ve had 60+ days on the 2nd gen and 3d gen (Black) Vipecs over the past 2 seasons without anything but minor issues. That binding is now dialled for my weight class. Will ask big-boned skiers to have a go at them too.

Post up questions here. I won't be on Tectons till February or so.

I'll start

- How will the rear boot sole wear with the Tecton heel?

- Will Tecton work with Procline, F1, TLT6, TLT7, Backland class of boots?

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Lots of plastic and surprisingly light. It's difficult to imagine something not breaking far too easily.
    One thing the plastic can do a lot is flex. In double heel lift mode (annoying propensity to have to resort to this around the Pass) I have torqued the heel lift away from its two plastic catchpins and off its receptors on the heel piece. Binding still works but I wait till the binding is in a warm place and use a screwdriver or some other longish lever arm to bend the heel lifters back into place. Seems I have to be super aggressively sidehilling and stomping in a track with the double heel lifts for that to happen. But the plastic has no cracks.

<-- Another guy with Radicals that is interested in this given the weight. I don't mind Radicals in pow but do not enjoy skiing them back into the resort on slack days.

Anyone know the ramp delta on the Tecton? Radical ramp is also something I don't like, feel pitched forward sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    <-- Another guy with Radicals that is interested in this given the weight. I don't mind Radicals in pow but do not enjoy skiing them back into the resort on slack days.

Anyone know the ramp delta on the Tecton? Radical ramp is also something I don't like, feel pitched forward sometimes.
    5mm delta between front (lower) and rear heel per the spec sheet. Will have sample to actually measure later as there is no tech pic to measure. Basically almost 7mm lower at the heel vs the Radical. I'm WAG guesstimating about 2 - 3 degrees less forward ramp based on say a 310mm bsl

vipec-curious, so subscribed for future season purchasing possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    One thing the plastic can do a lot is flex. In double heel lift mode (annoying propensity to have to resort to this around the Pass) I have torqued the heel lift away from its two plastic catchpins and off its receptors on the heel piece. Binding still works but I wait till the binding is in a warm place and use a screwdriver or some other longish lever arm to bend the heel lifters back into place. Seems I have to be super aggressively sidehilling and stomping in a track with the double heel lifts for that to happen. But the plastic has no cracks.
    as an owner of freeride pros, i'm less worried about cracks than poor contact from icing-up & durability (meaning plastic gouging, chipping, slicing, scraping). the plastic has held up to resort use in terms of solidity, but the bindings have taken a beating from ski edges and pole tips.

[the icing up issue is just returning to downhill mode and having to chip/scrape a small layer away at the contact point of the frame so that the heel can be locked in without deforming the plastic cam]

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I.
    I'll start

- How will the rear boot sole wear with the Tecton heel?

- Will Tecton work with Procline, F1, TLT6, TLT7, Backland class of boots?
    I'm pretty sure that with enough beta testers (not this skier) the tecton plastic will work out fine but yeah those^^ are the biggys that also come to mind

anybody considered that Dynafit must also be working on a tecton/kingpin centric set of clamps??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Looks like a release value (RV) of 12 - on the heel anyway. I'm guessing that's not DIN (or TUV?).