Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1207

Thread: Fritschi Tecton

  1. #1176
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Have you inspected the tech fittings on your boot?

    are you fully engaged in walk mode?

    What DIN value are you running them at?

    Have you pre-released out of the toe at all?



    Toe piece in walk only increases the release value by about 30% or so, so if everything looks good on visual inspection I would look to see if your release value has drifted.
    Yeah, I'll inspect my tech fittings and release value. I'm running them at 8 DIN and I have never pre-released from them. I went on a few tours since then and have been proactive about kick-turning with silent/graceful feet. No issues so far.
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

  2. #1177
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Posts
    455
    Dang it.

    Does anyone know if this piece being busted hinders the functionality of the binding?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FritschiTecton.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	402671

  3. #1178
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grandma's Basement
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
    Dang it.

    Does anyone know if this piece being busted hinders the functionality of the binding?
    That'll buff right out...
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

    www.experiencedgear.net

  4. #1179
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,610
    the only thing it can affect is the forward release, and that is easy to test - just turn the din down low and try to simulate a forward fall.

  5. #1180
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    1,550
    So I knew there were issues with early gen vipec toes and knee fall boot damage but thought it’d been resolved by the time Tecton came to be?

    Not the case for this guy. This happened day 3 of a hut trip at Battle Abbey last week!

    Adios Vulcans

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5162.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	402706

    So lucky a friend had brought his old boots as backup that were exact same size and last but softer (dynafit px ones) that I was able to use the Vulcan tongues to beef up and save my trip


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  6. #1181
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    the only thing it can affect is the forward release, and that is easy to test - just turn the din down low and try to simulate a forward fall.
    Thanks and you're right- it won't release forward. The other one releases fine. Double dang it.

  7. #1182
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    26,601
    Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    So I knew there were issues with early gen vipec toes and knee fall boot damage but thought it’d been resolved by the time Tecton came to be?

    Not the case for this guy. This happened day 3 of a hut trip at Battle Abbey last week!

    Adios Vulcans

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5162.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	402706

    So lucky a friend had brought his old boots as backup that were exact same size and last but softer (dynafit px ones) that I was able to use the Vulcan tongues to beef up and save my trip


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    that sucks ^^ 7-10 year old plastic ?

    answers the question how long does boot plastic last ?

    people lose tongues or breaking parts so keep those boots
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  8. #1183
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    19,857
    a lighter, some super glue, and keep on truckin
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  9. #1184
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,952
    Anyone know where I can buy demo plates?

  10. #1185
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grandma's Basement
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    a lighter, some super glue, and keep on truckin

    Name:  d7c039271687ad3d05d79f6737369cbb.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  42.1 KB
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

    www.experiencedgear.net

  11. #1186
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bay Area, Tahoe
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Anyone know where I can buy demo plates?
    I emailed black diamond directly for Vipec demo plates.

  12. #1187
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,952
    How much were they?

  13. #1188
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    So I knew there were issues with early gen vipec toes and knee fall boot damage but thought it’d been resolved by the time Tecton came to be?
    The first gen Tectons took whatever knee fall issues that were present in the first gens of the Vipecs and ramped them up to the umphteenth degree. Sadly. Sorry about them boots - perhaps BD will honor a warranty claim for them?

    Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
    Thanks and you're right- it won't release forward. The other one releases fine. Double dang it.
    Contact Black Diamond if you are based in the US. They seem very receptive to facilitating warrenty replacements. While shit breaks, this is still the first time I have seen that part break. Hell, Fritschi might be keen to get it back for inspection. Worth a try at least.

  14. #1189
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    19,857
    Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Name:  d7c039271687ad3d05d79f6737369cbb.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  42.1 KB
    Depends on if your at the hut or at home

    I've used a lighter to "unpunch" someone's pair of atomic backlands that had fully indented toe punches from their tectons that occurred 1 mi from Eiseman Hut (long way in). They didn't crack though. Wouldn't get sendy in those green boots!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  15. #1190
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    So I knew there were issues with early gen vipec toes and knee fall boot damage but thought it’d been resolved by the time Tecton came to be?

    Not the case for this guy. This happened day 3 of a hut trip at Battle Abbey last week!

    Adios Vulcans

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5162.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	402706

    So lucky a friend had brought his old boots as backup that were exact same size and last but softer (dynafit px ones) that I was able to use the Vulcan tongues to beef up and save my trip


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Damn, huge bummer. But this is an excellent photo to show how your boots become brittle over time with the plasticizers leaching out. I wonder what the lifespan of Grillamid/Pebax/ tour plastics vs PU is.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

  16. #1191
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Contact Black Diamond if you are based in the US. They seem very receptive to facilitating warrenty replacements. While shit breaks, this is still the first time I have seen that part break. Hell, Fritschi might be keen to get it back for inspection. Worth a try at least.
    Yeah, I shot Fritschi an email and asked if I could just buy a single toe. The reply was a link to a BD warranty form. Pretty sure mine are out of the warranty window, so hopefully they'll just sell me a toe like I originally asked.

    I found another example of a failure similar to this back on p.38 but it sounds like these bindings were considerably fresher when it happened:

    Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    First pic is the broken binding
    Cocximus, how did the replacement process shake out for your buddy?

  17. #1192
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bay Area, Tahoe
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    How much were they?
    I don’t have a receipt handy but I think around $80. Here is the part number: BD1012930000ALL1

    It’s not available via their online store so you have to call.

  18. #1193
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,952
    That happens when the toe is leaning forward and you try to open the binding. The release mechanism pushes that tab against the boot and with a bit of force it breaks. My buddy did it twice before we figured it out. He got them replaced under warranty both times. I was kinda surprised BD did not even ask why it happened.

  19. #1194
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    That happens when the toe is leaning forward and you try to open the binding. The release mechanism pushes that tab against the boot and with a bit of force it breaks. My buddy did it twice before we figured it out. He got them replaced under warranty both times. I was kinda surprised BD did not even ask why it happened.
    Thanks, makes sense. I couldn't figure out how the hell it happened, but knowing this it likely occurred during a transition in powdery conditions so I couldn't see/hear it happen.

    Great to know moving forward, but pretty silly way for a binding to fail.

  20. #1195
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Depends on if your at the hut or at home

    I've used a lighter to "unpunch" someone's pair of atomic backlands that had fully indented toe punches from their tectons that occurred 1 mi from Eiseman Hut (long way in). They didn't crack though. Wouldn't get sendy in those green boots!
    We actually did glue it back together but the crack that really worried me was the one running through the toe lug and over to the tech fitting. Last thing i wanted was to shear the toe off completely when over a mile and thousands of feet away from the hut.

    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Damn, huge bummer. But this is an excellent photo to show how your boots become brittle over time with the plasticizers leaching out. I wonder what the lifespan of Grillamid/Pebax/ tour plastics vs PU is.
    While older i probably only had ~45 days on them. i think temp during impact played a role too. it was chilly but not frigid @ -10 Celsius

    Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    The first gen Tectons took whatever knee fall issues that were present in the first gens of the Vipecs and ramped them up to the umphteenth degree. Sadly. Sorry about them boots - perhaps BD will honor a warranty claim for them?
    not gonna bother. i got them new on closeout for <$375 ages ago. lusting after new touring boots but couldn't justify given how good of shape they were in but looking forward to newer, more upright boots and no longer dicking around with a removeable tongue on transitions.

  21. #1196
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    While older i probably only had ~45 days on them. i think temp during impact played a role too. it was chilly but not frigid @ -10 Celsius
    Oxidation of plastics happens if you use it or not. Things like UV light will accelerate it. Not sure how temperature fluctuations would effect the fancy polyamides ie grillamid, pebax (nylon being the most common branded name) that are used in touring boots.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

  22. #1197
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Posts
    455
    Pretty stoked with BD customer service.

    Told them via email that my broken binding is way out of warranty and requested to purchase a replacement toe- new or used.

    They asked me to fill out a warranty form anyway. 10 days go by and nothing, so I called CS just now.

    Recording said 49 min wait, took about 15 mins.

    Girl answers “Yeah, not surprised, those guys are backed up. I’m going to hang up and just go ask them if I can send you a new toe. If you don’t hear back from me it means I can’t help you and you’ll have to wait for your claim to be processed”.

    Tracking number with memo “Replacement Tecton Toe” shows up in my inbox 10 mins later.

    There really is something to be said for under promising and over delivering. Kind of like the Tecton does.

  23. #1198
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    2,461
    So what's the hoopla about this new Carbon Tecton?
    I presume different material, so is it lighter? Stronger? Does it just have SNG technology? (that's spiffy new graphics to the uninformed)

  24. #1199
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    So what's the hoopla about this new Carbon Tecton?
    I presume different material, so is it lighter? Stronger? Does it just have SNG technology? (that's spiffy new graphics to the uninformed)
    I think it is supposed to be a little stronger but who knows. The pair I have are a few grams heavier than the last years model I had. Might be just SNG.

  25. #1200
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    So what's the hoopla about this new Carbon Tecton?
    I presume different material, so is it lighter? Stronger? Does it just have SNG technology? (that's spiffy new graphics to the uninformed)
    Anyone have any time on em?

    Looks like carbon infused plastic could solve the toe durability issues. The carbon thermoplastics are very robust ime....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •