Page 42 of 53 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1319

Thread: Fritschi Tecton

On a safety side note. Freak accident skiing with the kids inbounds last night. Or maybe not so freak considering the unpredictability of my 7 year old.

I have been using my evos inbounds cuz they are on some preferred skis and I don’t go fast with kids blah blah blah.

Anyway,

My 7 yr old somehow shot sideways and hooked the back of my right ski shooting me sideways into my 9 yr old....it was awesome.... but we weren’t going that fast and my 7 year old kept driving my right ski forward twisting my knee something fierce. Eventually the toe released but I feel like if it had lateral heel release it would have popped a lot sooner.

Made me want to consider finding a pair of shift bindings. Am I right in thinking the shifts offer lateral release in heel and toe and the evos/ tecton only laterally release in the toe?

^ No. Vipec/Tecton releases in the same directions as all alpine bindings (except Knee bindings), including Shifts.

If you want lateral heel release, get traditional tech bindings. But realize you're trading safer ACL's for increased risk of tip-fib spiral fractures. Or just dial down the release settings if you want the skis to release sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ No. Vipec/Tecton releases in the same directions as all alpine bindings (except Knee bindings), including Shifts.

If you want lateral heel release, get traditional tech bindings. But realize you're trading safer ACL's for increased risk of tip-fib spiral fractures. Or just dial down the release settings if you want the skis to release sooner.
    There's no binding that will prevent acl damage. Bindings only prevent bone fractures.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

^ Nothing will "prevent" torn ACLs, but Howell would argue that lateral heel release helps a lot.
    https://www.skimag.com/gear/safer-world-acls

You're trading one hazard for another though. I'm all for safer bindings but we practice a dangerous sport and I think that's important to keep in kind. Strengthening your legs is probably a more effective safety measure than switching bindings.

Also, the shift afd is a bit of a dumpster fire. Works great for some but is causing loads of problems for many.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60231797130__3E4A4747-606A-4FF9-A468-4EB58B156795.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	284.8 KB 
ID:	319256

Bnib tectons with this style toe- 110 brakes. 325 shipped? What do you guys think?
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

^ You could probably get around $400, no sense losing money. Unless someone has an ultralight touring boot with a thin-wall toe, there's no reason to get the latest version Vipec/Tecton toe.

I am considering a set of these for the girlfriends touring setup. I ski shifts on a 1 ski quiver but she will have a dedicated touring setup. She has skied g3 ion12s and like them but didn't ski them enough to get used to them on the way down and feel 100% confident. These look to be a better option than kingpins, and both seem to be a better option than shifts....but I am on the fence between g3 ion 10s and these... anything I should know or read up on related to these? She doesnt have boots yet so we could definitely get boots that dont have the thin shell issue

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    Somehow i love this forum, every problem i encounter has been discussed.

So started noticing some play in one binding during my 2nd ascent today. specially when between kickturns and the left ski being the valley ski my heel started moving alot. did a step / putting weight on / the heel moved.

stepped in and out cleared snow ... got freaked... did not help

continued out the valley and last descent home.

What is the talk here. Warranty? Icing?
    edit: i am on a 2nd gen toepiece
    I noticed this same play in my toe piece today as well. On firmer off camber skin tracks , my heel is sliding out to the downhill side slightly, and I see the play in the toe. Never felt this in any Dynafit toes. before. Didn't notice any extra play while skiing but it was soft snow conditions. Something tells me it will get worse with time. Anyone else with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    I noticed this same play in my toe piece today as well. On firmer off camber skin tracks , my heel is sliding out to the downhill side slightly, and I see the play in the toe. Never felt this in any Dynafit toes. before. Didn't notice any extra play while skiing but it was soft snow conditions. Something tells me it will get worse with time. Anyone else with this?
    There is a bit of elasticity / movement range in the front even in walk mode. The walk mode just adds tension to the system, it does not lock it out. Unless it is an issue (meaning super annoying, causes you to walk super funny and/or loose your ski (or confidence in the system)) I would not be overly concerned about it. If the play is caused by that "design feature" then it will probably not get worse over time.

Sure - traditional tech toes lock out all the way, but then again they have no meaningful elasticity in the front when going back down, nor do they release if you get caught in an avalance while in walk mode. I guess there is always a compromise

Quote Originally Posted by xconverge View Post
    I am considering a set of these for the girlfriends touring setup.
    Unless ride feel/front elasticity and safety /frontal release is your main priority and you plan (for her) to ski these hard in variable conditions, I would not go Tecton for a dedicated touring setup due to weight. That is, you you want to add 300gr or so to the setup investing it in slightly stronger skis might give a bigger benefit than heavier bindings. If you will mostly see soft / good snow then a traditional tech binding such as a MTN will be a lot lighter making for happier touring while descending well. Or, they descend pretty damn well regardless of snow conditions within the confines of being a tech binding.

If you want the safer/stronger setup Vipecs could also be a solid, and slightly ligther option. Ion10s does not add anything to the setup that a 300-400gr tech binding does not other than extra weight, and a Kingpin is def not the way to go - just the more (or same for the new m werks) weight, but worse ride feel (no toe elasticity) and safety (no frontal release). Considering one can get Tectons and Shifts, the Kingpin design should be dead in the water imho (cue comments about plastic and AFD migration / pre-release respectively).
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 03-30-2020 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    There is a bit of elasticity / movement range in the front even in walk mode. The walk mode just adds tension to the system, it does not lock it out. Unless it is an issue (meaning super annoying, causes you to walk super funny and/or loose your ski (or confidence in the system)) I would not be overly concerned about it. If the play is caused by that "design feature" then it will probably not get worse over time.

Sure - traditional tech toes lock out all the way, but then again they have no meaningful elasticity in the front when going back down, nor do they release if you get caught in an avalance while in walk mode. I guess there is always a compromise

Unless ride feel/front elasticity and safety /frontal release is your main priority and you plan (for her) to ski these hard in variable conditions, I would not go Tecton for a dedicated touring setup due to weight. That is, you you want to add 300gr or so to the setup investing it in slightly stronger skis might give a bigger benefit than heavier bindings. If you will mostly see soft / good snow then a traditional tech binding such as a MTN will be a lot lighter making for happier touring while descending well. Or, they descend pretty damn well regardless of snow conditions within the confines of being a tech binding.

If you want the safer/stronger setup Vipecs could also be a solid, and slightly ligther option. Ion10s does not add anything to the setup that a 300-400gr tech binding does not other than extra weight, and a Kingpin is def not the way to go - just the more (or same for the new m werks) weight, but worse ride feel (no toe elasticity) and safety (no frontal release). Considering one can get Tectons and Shifts, the Kingpin design should be dead in the water imho (cue comments about plastic and AFD migration / pre-release respectively).
    Yoo cool this gives me peace of mind.

Downhill they were fine, uphill sometimes feels funny. The shift have also some elasticy when walking uphill but not so noticable in the field. "Only on the bench"

Sent from ullr with love!

yeah, unless you feel the noticeable click side to side play that has been mentioned previously on here, I would not be concerned.

Im other news - I came back from a tour just now. I did two laps - the first with Rustler10s w/ ATK FR14s, the second with BMT90s w/ Vipec Blacks. The latter outperformed the former - so I am kinda confused right now. I did not expect that at all - even though I found better snow in the first half of the second run than the first. I really like Rustler10s, but the the BMT+Vipec combo skied extremely well. As such, my hypothesis of heavier ski + lighter binding vs lighter ski vs heavier binding might not be as clear cut as I thought it would be. Dammit.

Looking into getting back into touring. Used to tour a long time ago with Fritschi frame bindings. Anyway, looks like the Tecton might be the way to go for me. Any issues with it for heavier skiers? I'm 225lbs fully geared and it seems some of these things always get a little wonky in these type of weight ranges.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Thanks for the thoughts. I ended up getting a deal on some ions so went that route. They ARE a few 100grams heavier than needed but will do great for now. I am still pretty curious to see how the AT binding world evolves

yeah, unless you feel the noticeable click side to side play that has been mentioned previously on here, I would not be concerned.

Im other news - I came back from a tour just now. I did two laps - the first with Rustler10s w/ ATK FR14s, the second with BMT90s w/ Vipec Blacks. The latter outperformed the former - so I am kinda confused right now. I did not expect that at all - even though I found better snow in the first half of the second run than the first. I really like Rustler10s, but the the BMT+Vipec combo skied extremely well. As such, my hypothesis of heavier ski + lighter binding vs lighter ski vs heavier binding might not be as clear cut as I thought it would be. Dammit.
    Weird. Maybe the vipec had better power transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Looking into getting back into touring. Used to tour a long time ago with Fritschi frame bindings. Anyway, looks like the Tecton might be the way to go for me. Any issues with it for heavier skiers? I'm 225lbs fully geared and it seems some of these things always get a little wonky in these type of weight ranges.
    You're good to go. Just don't stomp down on the brake pad when locking it.

Just submitted a warranty claim on my Techton toe. This is a first gen toe, and the play that developed was not something that existed prior to yesterday. My heel is slipping off to the side of the riser on any off camber ski track. This is just going to get worse over time.

The play is very noticeable when I rotate the heel. It's worse in Ski mode than Walk mode. I made a video, but will have to figure out how to upload it.

Does the Tecton heel unit work correctly with WTR soles? i have always assumed yes, but realized i should check.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My heel is slipping off to the side of the riser on any off camber ski track. This is just going to get worse over time.
    I've had the heel slip thing off and on multiple times. Definitely had it on an Evo toe, can't remember if I've had it with a Black toe. Not a notable amount of play in either.

Just submitted a warranty claim on my Techton toe. This is a first gen toe, and the play that developed was not something that existed prior to yesterday. My heel is slipping off to the side of the riser on any off camber ski track. This is just going to get worse over time.

The play is very noticeable when I rotate the heel. It's worse in Ski mode than Walk mode. I made a video, but will have to figure out how to upload it.
    ah - yeah, given that info it sounds like something is amiss. Sounds like a good call. Sorry if I was too positive before there. I am sure BD will have you sorted out in no time

Just to be clear - you are saying that the front carriage is pressed out on the outside ski in off camber areas, but without the toe releasing right?

Quote Originally Posted by theetruscan View Post
    Does the Tecton heel unit work correctly with WTR soles? i have always assumed yes, but realized i should check.
    Yes - no issue should be had.

From BD: Compatibility boots withVipec Evo 12 und Tecton 12:
    https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...ts_2017-18.pdf

^^
    There seems to be an updated (August 2019) tecton compatibility document on black diamonds website:

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...ity%202019.pdf

There seem to be a few differences with respect to compatibility or requiring heel adapters on some of the lighter boots.

After talking with a few people about some options, I'm going to mount the next pair with tectons; good to see Roxa R3s are supported.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    After talking with a few people about some options, I'm going to mount the next pair with tectons; good to see Roxa R3s are supported.
    I think you'll like them. It's what I just put on my Lhasa Pows.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I think you'll like them. It's what I just put on my Lhasa Pows.
    Yeah, but you never ride lifts; I'm planning on using them inbounds as well.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

ah - yeah, given that info it sounds like something is amiss. Sounds like a good call. Sorry if I was too positive before there. I am sure BD will have you sorted out in no time

Just to be clear - you are saying that the front carriage is pressed out on the outside ski in off camber areas, but without the toe releasing right?
    Yes, enough play has developed in the toe that my heel is rotating off the riser in off camber tracks. I have yet to pre-release, but it feels very disconcerting. I hope it's just a fluke and the replacement lasts longer than 2 seasons. I am a bigger guy around 210 lbs, hopefully that isn't the issue.