Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Fritschi Tecton

That was my take as well (the design goal of saving weight via a shallower heel cup), but I'm definitely taking a wait and see approach with them.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

The only thing fritschi could bring to the table for me are working brakes...

Agreed about brake deployment being a bit finicky. They're still my binding of choice for anything but uber-light. #2 would likely be a coin toss between G3 & ATK. I think Lindahl's approach (a page or two back) is the way to go as far as fixing Vipec brake deployment.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Agreed about brake deployment being a bit finicky. They're still my binding of choice for anything but uber-light. #2 would likely be a coin toss between G3 & ATK. I think Lindahl's approach (a page or two back) is the way to go as far as fixing Vipec brake deployment.

... Thom
    I filed them, and lubed them. It improved deployment but the spring is just too weak when the snow freezes. Still my fav binding.

At the end of the day, it seems as if brake reliability implies weight (robustness).

I've been threatening (to myself) for well over a year to pick up a set of B&D leashes to gain some confidence in their efficacy - use both for a while until gaining enough confidence in them to remove the brakes. This has been a screwy season for me, and a lot of gear experimentation didn't happen.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Just throwing a half ass brake for the sake of having a brake that usually deploys in the showroom is bullshit.

I was looking in to fusible link leashes. I NEVER fall, but it's a bit unerving when half the time the breaks don't deploy when I step out of the binding.

^^^im soooo much better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Just throwing a half ass brake for the sake of having a brake that usually deploys in the showroom is bullshit.

I was looking in to fusible link leashes. I NEVER fall, but it's a bit unerving when half the time the breaks don't deploy when I step out of the binding.
    I agree with you, but in fairness, I haven't seen a tech binding with brakes that work as well as an alpine binding's. It has to be the weight thing, although the Ions' brakes are acceptable, as would be the Vipecs' if they'd deploy dependably (I'm slowly dialing them in - don't want to file away too much plastic).

The last Dyna-fiddle brakes I played with were the Comfort/Vertical generations and they were downright scary.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

never had a problem with vertical brakes on 3-4 different sets of dynafit bindings from 92-132 mm
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    never had a problem with vertical brakes on 3-4 different sets of dynafit bindings from 92-132 mm
    Cool, what about retention, release and elasticity

I'm sticking with old tech...
    frustrating that these new bindings struggle so with the brakes
    Aggressive in my own mind

I'm sticking with old tech...
    frustrating that these new bindings struggle so with the brakes
    Methinks you're experiencing a bit of the IAE (Internet Amplification Effect).

If you judge a brake on it's function (to stop a ski), then the Ions and Vipecs are far superior to the TLT Comfort and Vertical generations. I have no experience with Radicals. With the Comfort/Vertical, the brake arms swing open dependably, but the springs are so weak that I'd call them ski "slower-downers" rather than brakes.

Another thing to keep in mind with the Vipecs (much as I'd feel more comfortable if they deployed more smoothly on the bench right out of the box) ... if you release from a ski, it's bouncing, vibrating and flexing, and renders all of this non-deploying brake commentary somewhat academic. The stickiness we're reporting requires very little vibration to free the brake.

One caveat regarding daught's point: I don't ski in the PNW where wet snow might change the equation in terms of icing. I'll bet Alpy and Lee can comment further with respect to wet snow.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

If you don't like the way the brakes work, then dump them and go with a leash. A lighter option and you won't be digging around for a lost ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Choucas View Post
    If you don't like the way the brakes work, then dump them and go with a leash. A lighter option and you won't be digging around for a lost ski.
    This.

While they do always deploy in a rather elegant fashion, the RAD1 & Vert brakes don't necessarily stop well IME

I have seen a dynafit ski/rad binding still go a very long way with the brake deployed on a couple of occasions, once on a hard blue ski hill run and once in the BC in dust on an alpine crust, they just don't work the way I have come to expect from alpine binding brakes,

one thing I tried was swapping salomon brake guardian arms (cheaper than dynafit) into a RAD brake assmebly , it works well/ deploys well but the springs are so weak the arms don't stay down so i tried to figure out another way to strengthen the springs but couldn't, i figure they will work fine in pow and they are now on a pow ski

I Got some BnD leashes they work well on any sized ski, I haven't had to try out the safety link but it should work, but brakes are just more convenient so I put brakes back on the ski they were used on for now, still I think i will use the BnD on big pow days so I don't lose the ski
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-03-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    While they do always deploy in a rather elegant fashion, the RAD1 & Vert brakes don't necessarily stop well IME

I have seen a dynafit ski/rad binding still go a very long way with the brake deployed on a couple of occasions, once on a hard blue ski hill run and once in the BC in dust on an alpine crust, they just don't work the way I have come to expect from alpine binding brakes ...
    ^^^ This

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    ... the springs are so weak the arms don't stay down
    ^^^ and this (yes ... mostly the weak springs as opposed to the arms).

Dynafit = leash ... at least TLT Comfort & Vertical generations (I'll let folks with later generations speak to those bindings).

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Now that the Marker KP is apparently dead in the US for this upcoming season, it seems Fritschi has entered the market with perfect timing. I do a lot of sidecountry/slackcountry, and a lot of skinning in-bounds early in the morning before work at my local hill. About 50/50 for lift days and skinning days. I was hoping to pick up some kingpins this summer to replace my tank-like Barons, but my local shop sold out just the other day.

Came on here to see what else is out there. Tecton looks like a good fit for me, and would allow me to up my touring game in the BC this winter. Guess I will pick up a pair in October and report back once we have some skiable snow in NM.

Report back with some naked pics of your girlfriend.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Report back with some naked pics of your girlfriend.
    Don't have a girlfriend. Only a wife. And she'll be about 8 months pregnant come November. If you are into that, I hear there are some specialty websites available.

Nice to meet you too!

Not even talking the Tecton, but I got a few days in on the black Vipecs late last season in both great and shit conditions, and I'd ski that binding everyday and inbounds. Toured and skied very very well. I'm thinking the Tecton is going to be a winner.

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Got to play with a Tecton sample and chat with the sales rep yesterday. Was surprised how insubstantial (size, weight and substance) the heel piece seemed, especially in direct comparison to the Kingpin. My gut feel is that I'd break something within weeks. The rep mentioned that he isn't pushing sales or allowing his demos to be skied until issues are resolved regarding setting the heel piece to boot gap (the specified gap seems to allow too much play) and transitioning the heel piece to walk mode (which seems to require removing the boot, contrary to the manufacturer's claims). Difficult to make the case why anyone would chose the Tecton over the new Evo.
    What's the likelihood that these issues got addressed now that the tecton is starting to ship? It would be a major bummer to buy a pair of these knowing the potential for issues, especially since kingpins are back on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    What's the likelihood that these issues got addressed now that the tecton is starting to ship? It would be a major bummer to buy a pair of these knowing the potential for issues, especially since kingpins are back on the market.
    Bump. I'm curious too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Just ordered a pair, hate rolling the dice on a 1st year model but yolo and all that.

Which means I have a new-in-box pair of black Vipecs for sale, with 100/105mm or 115/120mm brakes...
    Who did you order from?
    (just curious, I don't need 'em)

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Just ordered a pair, hate rolling the dice on a 1st year model but yolo and all that.

Which means I have a new-in-box pair of black Vipecs for sale, with 100/105mm or 115/120mm brakes...
    One of us was going to cave first on Tectons ;-). It was only a matter of time.

Of course, your first assignment is to report back on the hole pattern for the heel track. Dawson seems tlo think the pair he got last year had a demo track - that Vipec/Evo and Tectons​ use the identical template.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    One of us was going to cave first on Tectons ;-). It was only a matter of time.

Of course, your first assignment is to report back on the hole pattern for the heel track. Dawson seems tlo think the pair he got last year had a demo track - that Vipec/Evo and Tectons​ use the identical template.

... Thom
    I had a buddy that owns vipecs and also just bought tectons measure, he says the patterns are the same.