Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Fritschi Tecton

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Maybe the graphics guy doesn't know how the heel cup moves, but this illustration makes it look like the cup slides upward, vs pivoting at the silver rivet. And even if it does pivot at the rivet, why such a low pivot? All modern alpine heels pivot on the same plane as the top of the boot heel lug for maximum elasticity. Putting the pivot so low really cuts down the travel prior to release, see where the pivot is located on the Kingpin.
    Watch this video, it looks like there are two pivot points, like a VPP suspension-ish:

Cool clip. But I'm not seeing a second pivot...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

The visible heel cup axle appears to be located within another element that moves roughly vertically about 7mm. The VPP analogy is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Cool clip. But I'm not seeing a second pivot...?
    Name:  HR_Tecton-Back-Dynamic_Color-Clip.png-copy.jpg
Views: 8441
Size:  96.4 KB
    You can see it in this pic, it's the the left of the F in Fritschi.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    On behalf of Brittany, thanks. I shot our guy an email, and once again the answer is that Fritschi bindings have the same mounting pattern- vipecs, evos, and tectons. They're trying not to be stupid. Unlike Dynafit.
    Thanks! It was an ask twice (measure twice) drill once sort of thing, as I'm sure you understand ;-) That gives me enough confidence to make some new holes in my GPOs.

Yeah, I don't know what Dynafit is thinking. Obviously, some design changes mandate a mounting pattern change, but I get the impression that many of Dynafit's drilling pattern changes result from not caring. The sad thing (for them) is that this isn't in their best interest, and certainly not in the consumer's interest.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    Name:  HR_Tecton-Back-Dynamic_Color-Clip.png-copy.jpg
Views: 8441
Size:  96.4 KB
    You can see it in this pic, it's the the left of the F in Fritschi.

OOOOH. I thought you were talking about the toe. Like an old Naxo toe. Was like, "Wait, doesn't that defeat the purpose of pins?"

Yeah, I actually did notice that. The heel retention spring is in a separate housing from the lever. Interesting design for sure.
    Last edited by LightRanger; 09-28-2017 at 06:12 PM.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Ignore the music. Ouch. More about the heel from this marketing video

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTc...APiiC3bT8Lv8aw

Interesting that they've chosen to put quasi tech fittings made out of plastic in the heel piece. I wonder what it does to release characteristics and also it's actual effect? Feels like marketing to me but maybe it really does something?

What says the collective? (apologies if it has been discussed in previous pages)

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Interesting that they've chosen to put quasi tech fittings made out of plastic in the heel piece. I wonder what it does to release characteristics and also it's actual effect? Feels like marketing to me but maybe it really does something?
    The only thing I can see from that is that it's a heel that doesn't rotate so as you where thinking it might not matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post

What says the collective? (apologies if it has been discussed in previous pages)
    From what I can see, they saved a bit of weight by narrowing the width of the heel cup and restored any lost lateral control with those fittings. Makes sense to me - to make use of a heel fitting that's on all tech boots.

As far as toe release, I can't see this having any effect, any more than the Vipecs' heel pins have on their toe release. Toe release pivots about the heel.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-11-2017 at 09:02 PM.
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Ignore the music. Ouch. More about the heel from this marketing video

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTc...APiiC3bT8Lv8aw
    I'll just leave this here...

https://youtu.be/0RlokpbOSOo

Got to play with a Tecton sample and chat with the sales rep yesterday. Was surprised how insubstantial (size, weight and substance) the heel piece seemed, especially in direct comparison to the Kingpin. My gut feel is that I'd break something within weeks. The rep mentioned that he isn't pushing sales or allowing his demos to be skied until issues are resolved regarding setting the heel piece to boot gap (the specified gap seems to allow too much play) and transitioning the heel piece to walk mode (which seems to require removing the boot, contrary to the manufacturer's claims). Difficult to make the case why anyone would chose the Tecton over the new Evo.

So not ready for primetime then??
    If they were not available for ski testing at recent shows i cant imagine how they'll be at retail in the fall.

My naive assumption is that lateral toe and vertical heel release is marginally better than lateral heel of kingpin but i could be way wrong here.
    But I'm also imagining many more issues than benefits from the lateral toe release while in walk mode that they depict in the video - (think just about any steep icy sidehill where you might use ski crampons).

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    So not ready for primetime then??
    If they were not available for ski testing at recent shows i cant imagine how they'll be at retail in the fall.......
    This.

When Fritschi did their rush launch of the Vipec it was a disaster & the 2nd gen wasn't any better. Now starting to see busted Blacks this side of the pond which were supposed to have been fully sorted.

It took Dynafit & Marker a few tweaks to get the Beasts/Rad 2's/Kingpins right & they'd had many proper working/skiing pre-production prototypes in use at least a full season earlier.

as^^ opposed to the Rad 1 which Dynafit tested on the consumer ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    as^^ opposed to the Rad 1 which Dynafit tested on the consumer ?
    Indeed, singling out Fritschi is a bit harsh, given Marker's and Dynafit's track records. Ultimately, we're all beta testers - the first year of any touring binding release.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Yeah, I'd say the Radical debacle was significantly worse (both in what the issues were and how widespread they were) than anything that's happened with Fritschi or Marker. The initial Vipec toe pin screws were bad, but fix wasn't a problem once the problem was known.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    But I'm also imagining many more issues than benefits from the lateral toe release while in walk mode that they depict in the video - (think just about any steep icy sidehill where you might use ski crampons).
    No issues at all. It has a pretty stiff lockout mode when touring. Not a single review has raised this as an issue over the last 3 years. Sweet FUD though.

not just the radical what about the tri-step toe piece that Dynafit never manned up on?

Between Tr-step & rad 1 they had some stuff that didnt not suck so we trusted them

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    not just the radical what about the tri-step toe piece that Dynafit never manned up on?

Between Tr-step & rad 1 they had some stuff that didnt not suck so we trusted them
    is this the tecton thread?

why not dig up an old dynafit bashing thread, or even start a new one?

when you created your user account, did the registration system object to "thread-cunter" so you went with "xxx-er" ??

naw we are bashing tech binding makers who rush product to market without testing, marker, fritschi, dynafit ... everyone here so try to follow along

havent you got a family of skiers you should be assaulting or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    No issues at all. It has a pretty stiff lockout mode when touring. Not a single review has raised this as an issue over the last 3 years. Sweet FUD though.
    Like Brian I've drunk the Vipec koolaid. There;'s issues for sure which I've raised in reviews. I've levered the heel risers off when on icy skintracks because the plastic can flex and twist off their perch mount. I've broken the black stepin guides at the toe piece but that's just cosmetic. But I've stomped some pretty aggro skintracks and not broken anything or levered out of the toe piece when locked in either by the toe piece laterally releasing or otherwise.

Given that the Tecton heelpiece is new that's where I expect a review to focus. Fritschi fucked up the initial release and it took the black toepiece from last year for improvement for sure but after some 50+ days IMO the MAJOR issues with the toepieces are resolved

This is interesting (from Lou's post) ...

Heel plate appears to be the same as that of the Vipec, but powers-that-be told me not to use the Vipec plate but to remove it and install the plate that came with Tecton. The Tecton plate I used had a different screw pattern than Vipec (same width but longer), so I drilled a new set of heel holes. I have not gotten clear on whether I have a demo plate and the regular Tecton plate uses same screw pattern as Vipec, or if you’ll always need new holes. When I clarify this I’ll update here and our Tecton FAQ.)
    I wonder about how robust the small struts which engage with the Tech heel are. Granted, they engage with the plastic in the heel, and not the metal tech fitting (assuming it's aligned with the pin slots), but still, it seems like an area of concentrated force. This will be interesting to watch.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 05-27-2017 at 06:57 PM.
    Galibier Design

Looks like the heel fitting keys allow for a shallow heel cup, saving weight. The cup still has some lip curvature though, so the keys aren't doing all the work fixing the hell laterally.