Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Fritschi Tecton

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
    None of the known cases are with the boots you have, and as such this will not be cause for a warranty replacement of the toe."
    You just had a known case, that's some pretty godawful customer service. Europe?
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
    F&&&*CK!!!

Slipped on a ice hard exposed skin, fell/slipped forward and boots are ruined! Now I'm going over this thread to figure out my options.

From the last few pages of the thread, seems like BD is great to work with (consistent with my and people I know ' s experience), so ok, fine, maybe I'll get new toes. I would have maybe liked to have gotten better toe pieces before ruingn my boot (Salomon MTN guides... hopefully they can get punched... will read through the thread..)

Here's a quote from a few pages ago from Fritschi reps:

"This is a relatively uncommon issue with approx 30 known instances, in spite of thousand of units sold. None of the known cases are with the boots you have, and as such this will not be cause for a warranty replacement of the toe."

Either the '30 known instances' is rubbish or I'm extraordinarily unlucky. Regardless, that's some pretty lousy attitude from Fritschi.

In case anyone cares:
    I've had 40 - 50 days on these (BD Helio 105s / Salomon MTN guides). They're fine. Can't really tell the difference from various dynafit bindings I've used on the down. I don't like their ski crampon design over dynafit. i'm in the market for a ski mountaineering / traverse ski and these bindings are *not* on the short list.
    Salomon mtn bindings, bomber and really easy to use

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    You just had a known case, that's some pretty godawful customer service. Europe?
    I was going to ask the same question. It definitely seems like the Euros are told to fuck off while the Americans get proper warranty service.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I was going to ask the same question. It definitely seems like the Euros are told to fuck off while the Americans get proper warranty service.
    Intetesting. I thought EU consumer was more stringent than US law.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Hi all,
    Has anyone had issues with Scarpa Maestrale RS and Tectons releasing properly. There has been some discussion on the wildsnow forums regarding this. When bench testing my old Maestrale RS boots (several seasons of use, moderate sole wear), they jam up in the binding when bench testing and do not release. My friend has an unused pair of the Maestrale RS boots (also version 1 not the latest RS2) that released almost perfectly in the Tecton except we could feel a tiny bit of grab. We thought the rubber near the toe was catching on the step in guide so we shaved a small bit off and now his boot also jams up in the binding, ugh. My new pair of Tecnica Zero G Pro Tours releases extremely smoothly. The differences in the Scarpas and Tecnicas are the Tecnicas have standard tech fittings and the rubber at the toe is much softer to the point the tecton step-in guide basically pushes all the way through it. On the Maestrale the rubber is harder and the step-in guide can barely dent it.

^ Need pix of rubber interference.

Copy that. Will grab a pic or two in the next few days

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

You'd have a chance at upgrading to a gold grill if you skied a proper TGR length BB The front two teeth at least

Excited to get on my new tectons.

Quote Originally Posted by cuxcrider View Post
    Hi all,
    Has anyone had issues with Scarpa Maestrale RS and Tectons releasing properly. There has been some discussion on the wildsnow forums regarding this. When bench testing my old Maestrale RS boots (several seasons of use, moderate sole wear), they jam up in the binding when bench testing and do not release. My friend has an unused pair of the Maestrale RS boots (also version 1 not the latest RS2) that released almost perfectly in the Tecton except we could feel a tiny bit of grab. We thought the rubber near the toe was catching on the step in guide so we shaved a small bit off and now his boot also jams up in the binding, ugh. My new pair of Tecnica Zero G Pro Tours releases extremely smoothly. The differences in the Scarpas and Tecnicas are the Tecnicas have standard tech fittings and the rubber at the toe is much softer to the point the tecton step-in guide basically pushes all the way through it. On the Maestrale the rubber is harder and the step-in guide can barely dent it.
    I have Maestrale 1.0 (not RS, orange ones) and have had no issues releasing, although I've only had 2 releases that i can recall: one vertical heel release in a head-over-heels fall, and one lateral toe release when my ski caught on a buried limb. My bench tests are smooth. Did you do the test they recommend at the end of this video? If the toe doesn't pop back as shown in the test, there is some recommended adjustment of the pins that I either saw in the instructions or somewhere on the webs.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    you’ll like

i thought about the face meeting tip
    so i mounted them for this possibility

j/k
    Mounted for forehead meeting tip?
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-19-2019 at 01:11 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

My Warranty Blog:

Sent in the warranty request almost month ago (1/25). Still hadn't heard back, so I called today. Warranty Dept VM said "too busy to answer the phone." So I called Customer Service Guy.

Customer Service Guy said that when you email in response to your claim, the system "updates" your claim and drops you to the bottom of the priority list. Huh-wut?

Customer Service Guy said that the invagination problem is really an issue on softer plastic boots. He gave me Scarpa F1 and Dalbellos as an example. He said probably no problem for the Maestrale RS, but he would be happy to forward to warranty.

I asked what does BD do if you get invaginated, he replied, "de-vaginate you." Just kidding, he said something about making it right and pleasing the customer. But, he said, let's forward to warranty and try there first.

Customer Service Guy said that BD's warranty dept is a month behind right now due to a recent uptick in claims, but said he would forward my simple claim for quicker resolution.

Two hours later, BD warranty dept emails and says "new toes on the way."

Moral of my Blog: call if you haven't heard from warranty. Don't email.

I heart BD. Customer Service Guy rocks. Can't wait to Tecton.

[/blog]
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    My Warranty Blog:

Sent in the warranty request almost month ago (1/25). Still hadn't heard back, so I called today. Warranty Dept VM said "too busy to answer the phone." So I called Customer Service Guy.

Customer Service Guy said that when you email in response to your claim, the system "updates" your claim and drops you to the bottom of the priority list. Huh-wut?

Customer Service Guy said that the invagination problem is really an issue on softer plastic boots. He gave me Scarpa F1 and Dalbellos as an example. He said probably no problem for the Maestrale RS, but he would be happy to forward to warranty.

I asked what does BD do if you get invaginated, he replied, "de-vaginate you." Just kidding, he said something about making it right and pleasing the customer. But, he said, let's forward to warranty and try there first.

Customer Service Guy said that BD's warranty dept is a month behind right now due to a recent uptick in claims, but said he would forward my simple claim for quicker resolution.

Two hours later, BD warranty dept emails and says "new toes on the way."

Moral of my Blog: call if you haven't heard from warranty. Don't email.

I heart BD. Customer Service Guy rocks. Can't wait to Tecton.

[/blog]
    Subscribed (if you ever start said blog)
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

This is a bit of a weird one, but does anyone else experience the heel lifters sticking to the boots? I can't for the life of me figure out why, but the lifters stick a little to boots after every step, ending up in this incredibly annoying clicking sound. I thought maybe I had stepped in something sticky, but there's nothing on the soles, nor on the lifters themselves. It's driving me nuts.

Boots are Hawx XTD's.

strange - no, cannot remember that happening, though I have not toured in a while. Perhaps there is bit of tension in the lifters when stood upon, making for rebound as you step off? I dunno.

You could try some silicone spray or to put on a strip of electric tape to mute it perhaps? Should add like 2gr Sorry to hear that the binders have some quirks, but then again - that also means that you are using your C&Ds no, so can't be all bad

I thought about tension, but I haven't been able to recreate it on the kitchen counter. It really does feel like there's something sticky on my boots, and I can actually feel it grabbing with every step.

The soles of the Hawx XTD's do pack snow easily around the WTR plate though, so I've wondering if that could be the cause. I suppose packed snow could be causing this... I will investigate further.

Oh yeah, and I thought about silicone spray. Will apply generously.

I get the clicking too, but mostly on high riser. I’m pretty sure this is caused by the forward pressure spring being compressed and sliding the heel back.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

yeah, that makes sense. If so - then I can't really see a solution to the clicking, other than asking Fritschi to up the tension of that spring or to choose flatter routes in.

Adrgha - do you only/mostly get the clicking on the high rise?

The clicking definitely comes from the riser being lifted up slightly before letting go and clicking into place again. Happens on both, but it seems worse on the low riser.

I guess it would make sense that the heel piece slides back a few mm's when stepped on, creating tension between the riser and the boot.

It has to be said though that I'm quite sensitive to annoying sounds.

^^^ That vaguely sounds familiar.

I had an issue a couple of weeks back on one of those days with transitioning snow that likes to clog and ice-up bindings. One of the heels wouldn't push all the way back into tour mode from ski mode. It was still workable for my last lap or so, but a bit annoying. Didn't spend a ton of time on trying to unstick it, but it wasn't obvious (that I recall now) what to dig out. Maybe ice below the lip that hits the bottom of the boot. I just dealt with it for a bit because the boot contact wasn't that bad, so didn't seem like a ton of wear/contact for one more lap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I have a BNIB set of Vipec Evo 12 that I'd trade for new/minty Tecton, if anyone out there wants a slightly lighter set up.

^ I have experienced the same thing a bunch of times. It’s usually snow under the tab on the heel cup that catches the bottom of the boot heel for me. Pushing the binding back into tour mode packs snow into the recess that the tab fits into. A quick cycle into step-in position by hand usually pops a little snow ball out of the recess and allows the heelpiece to transition smoothly into tour mode as intended. I do this every time I put my skins on and haven’t had a problem since I started doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    ^ I have experienced the same thing a bunch of times. It’s usually snow under the tab on the heel cup that catches the bottom of the boot heel for me. Pushing the binding back into tour mode packs snow into the recess that the tab fits into. A quick cycle into step-in position by hand usually pops a little snow ball out of the recess and allows the heelpiece to transition smoothly into tour mode as intended. I do this every time I put my skins on and haven’t had a problem since I started doing so.
    Yep. That's the location I'm thinking of. Thanks for the tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

got my Tecton toes replaced by BD, the biggest wait was for them to get to my claim due to warranty dept backlog. Once they started on it total turnaround time was around 10 days including my shipping the old toes back.

Vipec on Lotus 120 spoon and Tecton on Wailer 99 for now, since the spoon only sees soft snow it's hard to say that setup needs the tecton heel. I'm sure things will evolve...

Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    The clicking definitely comes from the riser being lifted up slightly before letting go and clicking into place again. Happens on both, but it seems worse on the low riser.

I guess it would make sense that the heel piece slides back a few mm's when stepped on, creating tension between the riser and the boot.

It has to be said though that I'm quite sensitive to annoying sounds.
    I sprayed both the bindings and the rear part of my boots with silicone spray, and that fixed it - at least for a while. So it's definitely caused the forward pressure spring being compressed, which then makes the riser stick to the sticky rubber sole of the boot.

On another note: Where can I buy brakes for these bindings? The 120 mm brakes are way too wide for the 124 mm skis I have them mounted on. The 110's would probably be more than wide enough.

Anyone ever have an issue where you step into the heel and it engages without grabbing the boot? It's like the binding pushes back in the track. This happens sometimes, have to reset and step in another time or two. I double checked the length adjust.

I've been skiing these things everywhere, probably put 30 days in since Feb 1. Going to turn up the heel din because I am ejecting forward lean on some pow landings.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.