Page 26 of 53 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Fritschi Tecton

Pretty much every lightweight binding is going to have *some* failures at some point. It's inevitable. I'm only concerned if there's a whole bunch of them... like with the kingpin.

Quote Originally Posted by duretteski1131 View Post
    Is anyone seeing failures with the 1st gen tecton heel? My buddy already broke some plastic on one side of his. I don't own tecton's and am I'm curious what others are experiencing with this year 1 release.
    Attachment 229213
    This I have not seen. Thanks

Is anyone seeing failures with the 1st gen tecton heel? My buddy already broke some plastic on one side of his. I don't own tecton's and am I'm curious what others are experiencing with this year 1 release.
    Attachment 229213
    Kind of looks like there was some sort of impact to that side of the binding--scratches and dings above and below where the break occurred. That's not a moving part, and looks pretty important to the integrity of the heel. I hope he is at least attempting to get it warrantied?? Mine have performed flawlessly both on- and off-piste.

I'd say that the OP's buddy does some serious edge on binding hacking while skinning or skiing to do that kind of damage. That doesn't look like normal wear. Anyone else's Tectons show wear in that area?

^^is he stepping on the heel to release?

Hopefully it’s just an anomaly. Fritschi’s warrantee has always been good or atleast better than markers, or so it seems

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I took a file to the toe piece that dimples boots.
    Attachment 228898
    Nice mod, can't think of any downside other than the ski having to rotate more before it releases in ski mode (when the heel releases first), but so what. I'll probably do the same.

Attachment 229213
    This is what mine looks like after approx 35'ish++ days of skiing them. Some of the same wear, just less. So if you add more skitime to it, I think the wear and tear above would look normal.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4701.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	229357

Fritschi Tecton

What is your feedback or experience with them so far?

Have you always found a lot of scraping / cutting on your boots and binders?

I am especially curious because I’m a very sloppy skier and have lots of cuts and scrapes on my gear.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    What is your feedback or experience with them so far?

Have you always found a lot of scraping / cutting on your boots and binders?

I am especially curious because I’m a very sloppy skier and have lots of cuts and scrapes on my gear.

Not sure if you are asking me or not.
    If you are asking me, my experience with them have been nothing but great. They have been coming off when they should and they have kept me in at all other times. They are very easy to step into, once you get a little used to it, you step into them as fast as you do with regular alpine bindings. At least, I do.

The ski feeling is great. The power transfer is as good as alpine bindings IMHO. I even used mine for racing gates one day, just for fun. Given that I'm 41 years old and have them on a pair of Alchemist Wailer 106, you shouldn't put too much consideration into that. It's more of an attribute to how safe I feel with skiing them. It's night and day compared to my Dynafit Radical FT, which aren't anywhere near as good as far as skiability goes. I also trust them quite a lot more than my kingpins.

Generally my gear tends to hold up pretty well. I wouldn't consider my self as sloppy. I raced gates when young and have a fairly decent technique. More of a precision and finesse skier than a "hold my beer and check this shit out" skier.

But yeah, there are always some cuts and scraping on my boots, skies, bindings etc. I mean, I fall, ding them against each other on the chair lift, ski mogules with tight stance etc etc.

Yeah you. Thanks!

Worth noting: heel failure is a heck of a lot better than a toe failure.

Anyway, I'm curious did the break cause a release or was it during a crash or what were the circumstances?

Looking forward to getting some days in with the kingpin adapters installed. I was skiing them a fair bit already without any significant issues, so imagine it's not going to change much aside from confidence in hard pack/variable conditions.

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	533.6 KB 
ID:	229417

Name:	image2.jpeg 
Views:	115 
Size:	360.8 KB 
ID:	229418

Solesides you didn't have to seal up anything from the inside from the screws on the side did you?
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

42 Tecton days. Pic of heels

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Solesides you didn't have to seal up anything from the inside from the screws on the side did you?
    No, the screw heads are very short and align below the bottom of the footbed into the heel block. You pre drill then hand tighten. The side screws are more to achieve alignment on the heel ledge, whereas the single screw in the main heel fitting is really the one holding everything together.

Hey all, I spoke to my friend and got some more info on the broken plastic part on the Tecton heel pictured above. There was no notable crash or impact to the binding. He does not step on his heel to release. It was simply from contact with the other ski while skiing. That plastic extrusion is not protected well, it's the first thing exposed on the back of the binding to an incoming ski. It was a cold day (brittle plastic) and his edges were factory sharp.

I also know that the plastic brake holder can crack due to friction with the wire brake and rubber ski boot sole. I have two sets of Evos and this crack has now occurred on 3 out of 4 brakes this season. N. Bend Proski confirmed they've also seen this failure. I noticed it when the brakes stopped staying retained in walk mode. BD recommends applying white lithium grease about every 3rd day to avoid this issue, they have no plans to redesign it as of now. I suspect they may have run out of replacement plastic brake holders. As I understand it, the tecton has the same brake system and is thus also subject to this problem.

If you see someone skinning around with voile straps retaining their Evo brakes say hello!

^ Is the guy skiing tele with his heels unlocked or something? Two sets in the fleet with 35 days on each and narry a scratch on either set. Open that stance up a bit and skis won’t bang into each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    ^ Is the guy skiing tele with his heels unlocked or something? Two sets in the fleet with 35 days on each and narry a scratch on either set. Open that stance up a bit and skis won’t bang into each other.
    Same here--about 30 days on my set (~half lift service/half bc) and they still look brand new. Some folks should just be on alpine binders....

Just mounted (MY OWN FUCKING) Tectons, and after clicking the boot in, then disengaging the heel to remove the boot, the brakes stay up locked and dont go down as normal. Evertyhing else works as it should. Has anyone else had this issue? Know how to fix it?

^^^ If you mean your brakes are staying in the ski position and not deploying to slow the ski try putting some binding grease on the plastic track that squeezes the brake arms together when you push the brake heel pad down. Lots of friction on those tapered ramps. A dab of grease once in awhile makes mine deploy as they should.

^^^ If you mean your brakes are staying in the ski position and not deploying to slow the ski try putting some binding grease on the plastic track that squeezes the brake arms together when you push the brake heel pad down. Lots of friction on those tapered ramps. A dab of grease once in awhile makes mine deploy as they should.
    I'm having this problem with mine now. Not every time, but once in a while. What exactly is binding grease? Just regular grease?

Sounds like would work, because i can see its getting caught on that last little bit of plastic. Any idea on what type of grease is best to use?

G3 supplies binding-specific grease https://ca-store.genuineguidegear.co...-binding-gease

Any low temp, water resistant, tacky grease that is approved for use on plastic components will work. I use super lube synthetic grease, as it is listed as being compatible with a huge variety of plastics and meets the temp and tackyness requirements as well. YMMV/proceed with caution etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    Sounds like would work, because i can see its getting caught on that last little bit of plastic. Any idea on what type of grease is best to use?
    White lithium grease works well
    https://lucasoil.com/products/grease...-greasehttp://