Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Fritschi Tecton

Quote Originally Posted by Moralkaka View Post
    This happened when a guy fell over while touring on Tecton:

Attachment 218044
    Wow...that's odd. Did that boot have a ton of work done in the toebox or is that plastic just that soft?

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

Been crossing my fingers that the little plastic sliding cam parts in the new toe don't ice up and hinder release in a knee fall or vertical heel release...wish they would have kept the pre-2018 Vipec's boot adapter clips. KISS principle. The new cam assembly isn't greased from the factory, but I worked a bit of grease into mine to hopefully prevent lockup due to ice.

No snow to ski them yet here, hope this issue was a big toe punch or something. (Tell me Vipec Black toes aren't going to be coveted, after I just sold mine, lol.) The Tecton/Evo toe trigger definitely makes them easier to step in, which is nice but not a real big deal, especially if forward release can be adversely affected.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-05-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Wow...that's odd. Did that boot have a ton of work done in the toebox or is that plastic just that soft?
    I have Mtn Labs and the plastic is NOT that soft. Whoa indeed!

I've had just a couple days on Tecton but 8 days on the new Vipec EVO toes which are identical to Tecton. I haven't fallen over while touring and am pretty reluctant to duplicate a fall big enough to dent a boot like that. But I've found that the new toes are easier to get into than the old Vipec Blacks and that they work fine with Vulcans, Dalbello Lupo AX and Atomic Hawx. Ie the boots trigger the Toe release

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Been crossing my fingers that the little plastic sliding cam parts in the new toe don't ice up and hinder release in a knee fall or vertical heel release...wish they would have kept the pre-2018 Vipec's boot adapter clips. KISS principle. The new cam assembly isn't greased from the factory, but I worked a bit of grease into mine to hopefully prevent lockup due to ice.

No snow to ski them yet here, hope this issue was a big toe punch or something. (Tell me Vipec Black toes aren't going to be coveted, after I just sold mine, lol.) The Tecton/Evo toe trigger definitely makes them easier to step in, which is nice but not a real big deal, especially if release can be adversely affected.
    I mentioned in the vipec thread that ice builds up under the toe lever and it can pop the clip off. That would mess with toe release. I just taped mine. Still I never has release problems... but I never needed it. I don't fall.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I have Mtn Labs and the plastic is NOT that soft. Whoa indeed!

I've had just a couple days on Tecton but 8 days on the new Vipec EVO toes which are identical to Tecton. I haven't fallen over while touring and am pretty reluctant to duplicate a fall big enough to dent a boot like that. But I've found that the new toes are easier to get into than the old Vipec Blacks and that they work fine with Vulcans, Dalbello Lupo AX and Atomic Hawx. Ie the boots trigger the Toe release
    Not tested with the Sollys yet?

Sent fra min F5321 via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Not tested with the Sollys yet?
    I'll grab those and go for a walk with the Mtn Labs. Carpet test indicates it should be fine

Not calling bs...BUT I have trouble imagining the amount of force needed to do that could be done just by falling forward while touring...

How thin is the toe on those boots and what are those gouges from?
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Moralkaka View Post
    This happened when a guy fell over while touring on Tecton:
    And did they release?
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Don't know, he just wrote that he slipped and fell forward real hard..

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    And did they release?
    He got caught on a branch which was buried under the snow and tripped, bindings in walk mode, the RH released as it should but not the LH...

Edit; I wonder if the branch somehow could have kept the LH from releasing if caught under the lever

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    He got caught on a branch which was buried under the snow and tripped, bindings in walk mode, the RH released as it should but not the LH...

Edit; I wonder if the branch somehow could have kept the LH from releasing if caught under the lever
    I assume you mean R and L toes? Heels wouldn't be a factor if in walk mode...
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    I assume you mean R and L toes? Heels wouldn't be a factor if in walk mode...
    Yes, RH and LH as in left hand and right hand, sorry for confusing...

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    That certainly seems possible, even probable.

I had my first double ejection of the season today. A very small air (3') over a rock into punchy slabby snow. I kept going but the skis with Tectons stayed put. Super clean double E.
    Using them with Atomic Hawx 120 XTD.

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    I had my first double ejection of the season today. A very small air (3') over a rock into punchy slabby snow. I kept going but the skis with Tectons stayed put. Super clean double E.
    Using them with Atomic Hawx 120 XTD.
    Now that's a review I can get behind

Ok maybe I missed it but tecton + beast horseshoe insert: any problems?

Fritschi Tecton

Mounted these up today, went pretty smoothly. Impressed overall, seem like a solid binding. The powderguide vipec template was pretty much spot on, but the salomon Mtn lab boot center ended up being 4mm* further back than what the template indicated.

Quick question- looking st the manual, it shows there is a small plastic piece that installs kind of behind the brake. I did not see this piece in the box. The binding appears to function properly - is it possible the plastic piece was already installed and I didn't notice it?

I looked at other pictures of tectons and I can't see any difference between them and my bindings.

As discussed earlier, when the brakes deploy the black tips on the brakes barely clear the sides of the ski. (Using 110mm brakes on 110mm skis). When they are fully deployed they clear easily- it's just during the process that the clearance becomes a factor. I'd use the 110mm brakes on up to a 114mm ski I'd say. You could also bend them pretty easily if you're careful to only bend the outer part of the break arms.

Last edited by Muggydude; 12-10-2017 at 09:48 AM.

4cm behind the line on the ski?
    Woof
    crab in my shoe mouth

4mm*

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Ok maybe I missed it but tecton + beast horseshoe insert: any problems?
    Zero problems.

I ejected in tour mode on Vulcans and Tecton today. Also no problem. Even had toe lever up.

Tried to go up a too steep skintrack. Slid backward. Used crotch as a brake on trees. Binding released as desired

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Mounted these up today, went pretty smoothly. Impressed overall, seem like a solid binding. The powderguide vipec template was pretty much spot on, but the salomon Mtn lab boot center ended up being 4mm* further back than what the template indicated.

Quick question- looking st the manual, it shows there is a small plastic piece that installs kind of behind the brake. I did not see this piece in the box. The binding appears to function properly - is it possible the plastic piece was already installed and I didn't notice it?

I looked at other pictures of tectons and I can't see any difference between them and my bindings.

As discussed earlier, when the brakes deploy the black tips on the brakes barely clear the sides of the ski. (Using 110mm brakes on 110mm skis). When they are fully deployed they clear easily- it's just during the process that the clearance becomes a factor. I'd use the 110mm brakes on up to a 114mm ski I'd say. You could also bend them pretty easily if you're careful to only bend the outer part of the break arms.

This picture shows the two holes just behind where the brake arms go into the binding where that plastic piece fits. You just slide it in there, and then when you put the brake on the binding the heel piece holds it in place. Prevents snow build-up.

The plastic pieces would have been in a small zip-loc bag with the bindings, maybe the same bag as the different colored inserts.

Wow, that boot toe looks like a pitoned kayak bow.
    Do not count the days

Make the days count.

... Quick question- looking st the manual, it shows there is a small plastic piece that installs kind of behind the brake. I did not see this piece in the box. The binding appears to function properly - is it possible the plastic piece was already installed and I didn't notice it?

Not sure if this helps, but Lou did a breakdown narrative on Tecton brake removal, with a lot of pictures that may help answer your question.

It appears however as if the holes that @gavinski91 pointed out weren't in the prototypes Lou used for this post however.

https://www.wildsnow.com/22447/frits...emove-install/

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

That piece is for the Vipec Evo rather than the Tecton.

To add to the brake size confusion, I (apparently) have 100mm brakes and was planning on bending them, but have them fitted on 118mm skis and they work fine so haven't bothered with the bending.

Is there any official word on how to set the forward pressure yet?