Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Frigor Couloir, Chamonix, 16/12/16

Jesper and Joel suited and booted, with the Frigor Couloir behind

I'm sure some of you stateside will have heard how shitty the season is going after an incredible early start here in Yurp, but there's still some dedicated souls going out and looking for winter. I've had some pretty good days so far. In fact, I think it's great. The low snow is keeping away the crowds.

Nearly a month after the last storm, we had an inkling of an idea that there might be some soft snow hidden deep in the guts of this seldom-skied couloir, tucked away beneath the stark and terrifying Nant Blanc face of the Aiguille Verte. Maybe we were being naive, maybe overly optimistic. Maybe we just wanted an adventure.

The first known descent on skis and snowboard was done by Vivian Bruchez and Douds Charlet in February 2013. As far as I can understand, the second, but unconfirmed descent, was made by two huge names in the Chamonix steep skiing scene since then, but neither of them made any mention of it anywhere on Social Media, and one of them, sadly, has died since then. I don't know why they never claimed it, but that's their decision and it deserves a little respect, so I'm not going to mention it either. I don't even know whether it's true or just heresay, and it doesn't really matter anyway. It's only skiing.

The thing about this lonely little couloir is that you can't see it from anywhere except high on the Nant Blanc face of the Aiguille Verte, or from the north couloir of Les Drus, so not many people get a good look at it to gauge the conditions in it, and even fewer people get the idea of skiing it. I managed to grab some helicopter footage of it on a birthday present flight a few weeks ago, and then we just happened to stumble on a photo taking during Ueli Steck and David Göettler's parapente descent from the Aiguille Verte, just a few days previous.

The other thing is that the top of the couloir is a little tricky to get to, as you need to either ski down the Argentiere Glacier side from the Grands Montets and climb up the Gigord Couloir, which has a section of difficult-to-protect M4 mixed climbing; or traverse the Petite Verte on the Pas de Chevre side, descend the Drus approach couloir, skin up the crevassed-as-buggery Nant Blanc Glacier, and then boot up the couloir itself. In real terms, the approach is nothing compared to what you have to endure for many ski descents here in Chamonix, but then we also have to remember that because of a slow start to the season, the easy skiing down to the Montenvers train is a little dry and the moment and, to put it lightly, best avoided, which means that you have to go home the same way you came. All of this, when coupled with the fact that you can't even see the couloir until you are in it, has limited the amount of people willing to give it a go.

So we accessed and egressed the same way: traverse from the top of the Grands Montets to the Drus approach couloir, rappel through some rocks, ski a steep-and-narrow gravel-filled ditch down to the Nant Blanc Glacier, and skin up to the base of the couloir. Once over an almost catastrophically-open bergschrund, and with the worst of the holes behind us (until we had to meet them again on the way back down), we swapped skins for crampons and booted up the couloir, an interesting 45 to 50 degrees for the most part, and pretty narrow in places. We found a mixed bag of snow, from pockets of facets to squeaky neve, from sluff-carved runnels to cold, hard boilerplate. Jesper, an absolute machine in the bootpack, made quick progress up the couloir, but just under fifty metres from the top, the sun, which was by now just licking the tops of the granite spires either side of the summit breche, had freeze-thawed the snow underneath our picks and crampons into bulletproof ice. If we waited another two hours, maybe it would soften it enough to ski, but we'd also miss the final cable car down from the Grands Montets. It's an easy decision to make: time to turn around, and ski what we've worked for.

So we didn't get to the top. We didn't get to crawl through the tunnel under the stuck block to get to the breche, from where we could have seen all the way down to the Argentiere Glacier. We didn't get to ski another 50m of boilerplate. So I suppose, technically, we don't get to claim the third-ever descent of the Frigor Couloir. Does it matter? Nah. We left the lift with six legs, we came back with six. We got to explore a new area and spend time hanging out in some beautiful mountains. We got to play with ropes and things. We got to ski a little good snow, a little bad, and a lot of mediocre. But we still got to go skiing. The day was a total success.

I'm going to be honest, I'm a better skier than I am a cameraman, but here's a few pictures that I got along the way. If the other guys come up with any goods, I'll post them up here as well. On the off chance that you enjoy seeing pictures of people throwing themselves down couloirs or dangling around on icy cliffs with ropes that should really be a bit thicker, perhaps you'd like to wander over to my "Instagram".

Joel Evans ( @joelevans on Instagram) making the second rappel in the Drus approach couloir, just after some fairly energetic warm-up turns on steep, shitty snow

Joel and Jesper Petersson ( @jesperpeterssonn on Insta) skiing through the crevasses on the Nant Blanc glacier, under the face on the Aiguille Verte of the same name. Scary mountain.

Jesper taking the first pitch of boilerplate while Joel and I look on

Jesper enjoying some better snow lower down in the couloir

Navigating the sluff runnel in the lowest, and narrowest part of the couloir

Jesper in front of the Drus, halfway through the long, sweaty walk back to the Grands Montets
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Merci!

Burly day!
    Way beyond my abilities...thanks for sharing!

Looks steep!
    Nice adventuring.
    Uno mas

Hell yes. Nice report.

yeah yeah blah blah blah keep rubbing it in

What's with the boring music?!
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    What's with the boring music?!
    Hey, less of the boring, it's an astounding display of musical engineering!

I felt that the current conditions of tiny chunks of bone, metal and plastic rattling down huge icy mountains in tiny, narrow couloirs were quite reminiscent of the beautiful design and execution of Wintergatan's Marble Machine. I particularly like how the creaking and groaning of the machine mimics the slow whisper of serac and glacier.
    It's art, yo. Aural art.

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    It's art, yo. Aural art.
    Okay, fair enough. I stand corrected!
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Thanks for sharing. Do we still say FKNA, around here ?

And,I don't want to hijack your thread, but it reminds me that you can still get this film on vimeo.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

So good with the Sunday morning coffee.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Top of the notch, as always

Well played men!
    Gravity Junkie

awesome tr, love the wintergatan

Wow. Awesome.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

As always, peds is the man. Way to get after it and thanks for sharing.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Cheers dudes, you are all very kind

Still grinning ear-to-ear when I think about the day, it had everything.
    Hopefully getting out later in the week for a little more shitty snow and playing with ropes. Fingers crossed for another great day!

Bad ass. I wish we had stuff like that in the US... What size ski were you on?

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyLilKitten View Post
    Bad ass. I wish we had stuff like that in the US... What size ski were you on?
    I wish Alaska was in U.S...

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Suncloud View Post
    I wish Alaska was in U.S...
    Alyeska is not like that. At all. Unless there is some other resort I'm not familiar with?

Alyeska is not like that. At all. Unless there is some other resort I'm not familiar with?
    you're right, it is illegal in france to use helicopters or planes for skiing.

but hey this isn't about that. nice line Peds et. al.

Dude, there are places in the US with terrain similar to this, even in the lower 48. You just have to work a little (or sometimes a lot) harder to get there. That's the real difference between Cham and the US: the access. You can accomplish in a month in Cham what might take seasons to do stateside. (Not that I'm an expert on steep skiing in Cham or the US.)

Also, because the access in Cham is so good, knocking off a line that has only seen 1-2 descents is pretty ridiculous.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 12-19-2016 at 12:25 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Damn that looks gnarly. Looks steeper than 50 some of that. Maybe it's the shitty snow. This made me think of the "admit it you're getting older" thread. I think I prefer to just watch this stuff now. Sweet tr , thanks

What size ski were you on?
    I generally ski at around 179, those planks are Black Crows Navis at 104 underfoot. Sometimes I take my wife's Crows Camox, 169s, if I think things are going to be really tight!

Awesome!

Awesome TR. Nice to get a break from the deluge of "which dentist car should I buy" threads, and see some rad shit on this board again. Your pal Jesper makes some mighty fine looking steep turns, but judging by the amount of Salomon gear he's rocking, somebody has already noticed.