RV in Hokkaido???

hi pholks!

So 4 buddies and I are headed to Sapporo on Jan 14 for two weeks of skiing at least 7 day of which will be on Hokkaido. We would like to check out Niseko first, then hopefully head inland to Ashidake, Kuradake (if open), Furano, etc to check out the off the beaten path areas but really we're looking to chase storms... At some point after 7 days we're going to make our way South to Hakkoda, Tenjin, Hakuba maybe)

We are considering renting an class C RV (4x4 w/ snow tires) for 7 days at a cost of $525 pp...

The other option is a Van for $125 pp and then trying to get accommodations at each spot.

It would obviously be convenient (and smelly w/ 5 dudes for 7 days) to have the RV but I feel like we might be missing out on a lot of interactions with the culture, locals, and other skiers. Also curious if there will be issues with not being able to get to the areas we want to check out with the RV (ie storms and bad roads, lack of overnight parking). Can we camp in the ski area parking lots without issues or do we need to go to designated areas that wont be convenient to towns/eat etc?

Really any help with figuring out the downsides to either option would be greatly appreciated. My buddy wants to book the RV ASAP but I'm a little weary that we might be better off chasing snow in a van and staying at local spots.. seeing japan, not just hanging inside an RV. Seems like a lot of places are cheap to stay at and include meals we'd be missing out on as well...

Meant to post in General ... admin can you pls move?

RV is for Valdez where the alternative is a filthy motel and overpriced shitty food. Japan is all about the food and lodging. You have the right idea. They charge by the person not the room so you can leave 3 people at home. It is skiing not spring break in Cancun. Pick where you want to go find a ryokan near by stay there. Public transportation is as useful as a rental car. Skip Asahidake it is a waste of time only reason to go is to ski the peak. wanted to add search function this board is fortunate to have two good sources of information. Mike Pow and Neck Beard both have provided lots of good information here.
    off your knees Louie

Me and buddies are doing this. I cant get behind the " if your going on a trip you should have enough money to pay for decent lodging and food"

Beat it kook im eating ramen and living in a van the whole time.

We are spending two weeks on honshu in a smaller van with four people. (if shit gets too wet we will find a hotel for the night to dry out) other wise onsen and whiskey does the trick.

flying to hokkaido spending 6 days in an airbnb for crazy cheap with 7 ppl total and then going back to sapporo and renting an rv for all 6 ppl and spending our time in central hokkaido. we will be wet, we will smell, bad, but we are going to have a good time.

But thats just me (I spend my entire winter in a small pull trailer that is barely suitable for winter with a shitty and dangerous woodburning stove), but I have a good time. Let me know if you pull the trigger on the japan rv and I can let you know on the companies we are using etc...

So you think its gonna be cheaper to do the RV for you guys?

dwells... where are you guys planning to check out in central Hokkiado?

https://japanrv-rental.com/ - where we saw online... 4x4 and snow tires... any other sites to check out?

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoRipper View Post
    https://japanrv-rental.com/ - where we saw online... 4x4 and snow tires... any other sites to check out?
    http://www.fujicars.jp/english/

Anyone know if you can eat dinner at the Ryokans if you're not staying there? Seems like a great experience... or is it typical to eating dinner at most Japanese restaurants?

Does anyone know if you're okay sleeping in an RV at the resort parking lots overnight????

We rented a 4x4 van for 4 dudes and just followed the snow. You will miss out on a lot of the cultural stuff if you camp in the RV but thats up to you. we were there for 14 days, did 7 backcountry days, 7 resort days, and after all that it was amazing to just show up at a little town, onsen, tinnies, ramen, dry gear and pass the fuck out. We always stayed out of the ski resorts wherever possible (mainly as everything was full & we didnt have anything booked), and its actually reasonably cheap for the tatami rooms in places like Toyako Onsen. I've got a TR over in the TR section, feel free to pm me with questions or ask here

At a guess you'd end up saving about 500 bucks if you go the RV. I know if im paying nearly 5k for a 2 week trip an extra 500 is nothing to live comfortably and be refreshed and ready to go the next morning.

Anyone know if you can eat dinner at the Ryokans if you're not staying there? Seems like a great experience... or is it typical to eating dinner at most Japanese restaurants?

Does anyone know if you're okay sleeping in an RV at the resort parking lots overnight????
    many of the ryokan are small mom and pop type operations and in remote locations. they need to know how many people in advance each night. This enables them to plan meals and prevent waste. The meal you will receive at the ryokan is usually around 12 courses. good luck ordering that in a restaurant unless you can read and speak japanese fluently. also the equivalent meal in a restaurant may cost you as much as your stay in the ryokan. as nortonwhis pointed out places book up. You just don't pull off the highway to a row of chain motels with no vacancy signs. It can be hard to find lodging. I have been very fortunate to have skied some great lines in Japan. Even as my son pointed out something next to something Jeremy Jones skied in a movie. When I look at the pictures I spend more time looking at the food and lodging photos.
    Hakkido is very affordable Honshu seems to run 50% more. Spend a little time planning and it will pay off.
    At a guess you'd end up saving about 500 bucks if you go the RV. I know if im paying nearly 5k for a 2 week trip an extra 500 is nothing to live comfortably and be refreshed and ready to go the next morning.
    i think this is good advice.
    contact that guy also as i mentioned search function.
    if money is an issue it is possible to skip the camper take public transportation, stay in nice places eating great food, and ski powder every day for cheaper on Hokkaido.
    off your knees Louie

hi pholks!

So 4 buddies and I are headed to Sapporo on Jan 14 for two weeks of skiing at least 7 day of which will be on Hokkaido. We would like to check out Niseko first, then hopefully head inland to Ashidake, Kuradake (if open), Furano, etc to check out the off the beaten path areas but really we're looking to chase storms... At some point after 7 days we're going to make our way South to Hakkoda, Tenjin, Hakuba maybe)

We are considering renting an class C RV (4x4 w/ snow tires) for 7 days at a cost of $525 pp...

The other option is a Van for $125 pp and then trying to get accommodations at each spot.

It would obviously be convenient (and smelly w/ 5 dudes for 7 days) to have the RV but I feel like we might be missing out on a lot of interactions with the culture, locals, and other skiers. Also curious if there will be issues with not being able to get to the areas we want to check out with the RV (ie storms and bad roads, lack of overnight parking). Can we camp in the ski area parking lots without issues or do we need to go to designated areas that wont be convenient to towns/eat etc?

Really any help with figuring out the downsides to either option would be greatly appreciated. My buddy wants to book the RV ASAP but I'm a little weary that we might be better off chasing snow in a van and staying at local spots.. seeing japan, not just hanging inside an RV. Seems like a lot of places are cheap to stay at and include meals we'd be missing out on as well...
    You can camp in ski parking lots no problem. Also you can park at Michi no Eki http://www.hokkaido-michinoeki.jp/en/ no problem either. If you're around Rusutsu, you can hit up the Onsen in the tower hotel for free no problem. They weren't checking two years ago at all, and I was stayin in a pension down the street.

If you want to eat at Ryokan sometimes you have to stay there, other times it doesn't matter. However, you will most likely need a reservation for the Ryokan to eat there, and often you need it the day before. It might be best to ask them the day before just in case.
    パウダーバカ!!

Thanks for all the help folks... we've settled on van and local accommodations. Booked three nights at the Annipuri Bunk House to start and then wingin it from there.

So 4x4 van rentals companies come recommended in Sapporo?

I've checked out the Toyata and Nissan sapporo rental sites but I dont see where you can specify van and minimum number of passengers it holds. Seems like they all have snow tires... but can't find something to fit 5 people and gear.

http://www.nisekoauto.com/ - Looks like decent prices but we'd have to take the bus I guess to Niseko or pay 85 for them to bring to airport...

We rented from Nippon Rent A Car last year. We picked it up 2 blocks from our hotel next to Nakajima Park in Sapporo though I believe they have an airport location as well. We ended up with an AWD Honda Fit with a ski rack which for 3 people was tight but fine. They also had a multilingual GPS which was nice. Dropped it off at the Niseko location and took the bus back to the airport. May have been said previously but you will need an International Driver's License. I've rented cars all over the world and Japan is the only place I've ever been asked for one.

https://www.nrgroup-global.com/en/locations.php
    https://www.nrgroup-global.com/en/ca...rice-table.php

Was in Japan last winter and we ended up renting a FWD van with snow tires from Hertz in Tokyo, and drove it up to Hokkaido. We were driving is heavy snowfall on all types of roads and never got stuck, just need to keep track of your momentum... If you can't get a reasonable deal on 4WD I wouldn't be worried about getting a FWD.
    i shred the gnar

Can someone give further updates? i'm looking into a small RV for 2 around Sapporo. We are looking for the cheapest option (with heating).

It seems difficult to find something during the winter on Hokkaido so if you have something to say about the drive from Tokyo I would appreciate this information, too. Thank you!

my son who is a good skier but terrible driver rented an rv in Tokyo and drove it to Hokkaido and back. so it can be done. get the gps.
    off your knees Louie

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Thanks for all the help folks... we've settled on van and local accommodations. Booked three nights at the Annipuri Bunk House to start and then wingin it from there.
    Depending on conditions, for your three days in the Niseko Resort Area

Niseko United - check that all the lifts and links are open before you buy an all mountain pass. Otherwise just get the Annupuri pass and access the back bowls with a short hike from top of Annupuri lift system.

Niseko Moiwa - small but perfectly formed

Rusutsu - bigger with long tree runs

I'd then book ahead for a place in Otaru and ski Kiroro or Sapporo Kokusai on the way.

Out of Otaru - which is a cool little port town with good eating and cheap accommodation - you have

Kiroro - 45 mins drive
    Sapporo Kokusai - 30 mins drive
    Sapporo Teine - 45 mins drive

All three resorts have more than enough skiing for multiple days

You also have Otaru Tenguyama 10 mins drive from Otaru, and Asari 20 mins drive from Otaru.

Both smaller ski hills, but steeper terrain than most in SW Hokkaido, and if it's dumping you'll get fresh all day.

So that's at least 8 ski days right there.

If you feel the need to hit Central Hokkaido / it's going off in Central Hokkaido then depending on your route

Mt Racey (Yubari) is good for a day if there's new snow en route to Furano.

Base yourself in Furano and ski Furano, Tomamu and Sahoro depending on who's getting the goods.

Kurodake will most probably be closed at that time of the year, and unless there's a clear weather window then as has been said Asahidake is a lot of effort for not much vertical. If it is bluebird and you can hike/skin above the lifts then it's worth it.

If Asahidake is on the cards, then go the clockwise northern route and hit Kamui Ski Links out of Asahikawa.

If you take in some/all of those you'll have a very diverse Hokkaido ski experience; hopefully see some great sights - snow on the beach, steaming volcanoes, chaotic Japanese towns etc; eat some great food; and spend less than if you based yourself in the Niseko Resort Area.

Yea, the RV was a super good call for us last year, even with 6 people

We settled for japancampers.com in the end. I will update here with a review on them and going "cardanchi" in Japan in general as soon as we get back in January.

@LeoK say hi when you're in town. I'm in Niseko all season.

I have noticed that most of the carparks in the resorts nearby (niseko's 4 resorts, rusutsu, etc), have signs all over the place saying you cant stay past 10pm overnight here or you'll get towed.
    There still seems to be people camping in some tho. But it probably depends on who you know, I hear lots of Yakuza related rumors.
    But worst case, drive away from the resort area for the night, and come back early morning.

Hope the van is pretty big. 5 dudes in 1 van sounds pretty smelly.
    Probably a fun trip tho, "remember that time we ..." stories for years.

I think you'll still experience a lot of the culture and social activity while living in an RV.
    Working out what to eat with japanese only menus at tiny family run restaurants is part of the adventure (or in reality, working out what that thing was that you just ate).
    Onsens here are pretty social and even the japanese try to practice their english sometimes.
    The odd number of people will help also. I find skiing solo more social than in a group because you're forced onto chairlifts with other people, and get to say hi /etc.

I'll let you know when we are around but I have to disappoint you a litte. We are only 2. I'm sorry if I gave false information but I don't really know where this 5 person thing comes from. Should be fun anyways!

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    I have noticed that most of the carparks in the resorts nearby (niseko's 4 resorts, rusutsu, etc), have signs all over the place saying you cant stay past 10pm overnight here or you'll get towed.
    It's a practical solution to a snow clearance problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    I'll let you know when we are around but I have to disappoint you a litte. We are only 2. I'm sorry if I gave false information but I don't really know where this 5 person thing comes from. Should be fun anyways!
    usually 2-3 is better than large groups anyway. only once have i skied with a large group and not had to wait every freaking run. last year i skied with a group of 7 current & ex-vail staff, was pretty awesome everyone ripping hard and fast and zero waiting.

You can park you car and sleep at any of the Michi no Eki's around Japan. I use em and have never had any problems at all, and you have access to a toilet, vending machines, fresh fruits/veggies along with other local food, and sometimes restaurants.

https://www.michi-no-eki.jp/stations...refecture_id=1
    パウダーバカ!!