Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Alta or Whistler 2 april to 10 of april

Hi
    Would like suggestions which of above ski resorts is best to visit 2-10april. Best snow conditions and Chance if any of fresh snow.

I only can do those dates

Whistler. Alta in winter for powder

Both are good. See:
    http://bestsnow.net/latesnow.htm

The way things are going so far this season I'd give W/B the nod, but a lot can happen between now and April.

Whistler has a lot more after ski activity. I love Alta/Bird, but after 3-4 days, I go canyon crazy.

Mammoth.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    Mammoth.
    Or Bigsky. CB has been good that time of year as well.
    Alta is awesome but if you hit a no snow stretch in Ut in the spring it can really be not so good. Haven't skied WB in the spring but given the base elevation it seems the lower half could potentially be dry no?

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Haven't skied WB in the spring but given the base elevation it seems the lower half could potentially be dry no?
    Yes, but it doesn't matter. Unless you're a beginner you're not going to be doing much skiing on the bottom of the mountain.

blue mountain

Thanks för all the answers. So it more or less a toss up between them :-). As i thought. I will go to mammoth 13-17 of april. Wanted to do another resort as well since im flying in from Europe.

Is it easy to fly from LA to other ski resort part from Whistler and Alta. Im visting my wife in LA therefore im flying from LA.

Any suggestions on lodging in Whistler?
    Last edited by Puffert; 12-12-2016 at 01:41 PM.

My wife and I did the Fairmont last time we were there, but I get discounts through work, as it is not a cheap place to stay. It is ski in/ski out, and you're on the Blackcomb side, but you can walk or take a short lift then ski over to the Whistler side.

Whistler in April for best snow conditions? HAHAHAHAHA!! What these people aren't telling you is it can rain from bottom to top at Whistler in FEBRUARY. In April it is a down right slush fest.... The best powder conditions I have ever had were at LCC in April. Skiing is done for the season for most people so no one is on the mountain yet the storms dump then in LCC. Every year April is awesome powder skiing in LCC.... I would also take Mammoth or Squaw over Whistler in April but at those two it is usually less about good powder conditions and more about really awesome fun spring skiing conditions (corn, sun, ect). Whistler is probably one of the last places on the continent I would ski in April (and if I did it certainly wouldn't be for powder).

... Oh and if you are flying from Europe then another thing to consider is that LCC is much more convenient.

I have skied knee deep powder in May in Whistler before, anything can happen. At the very least the mountain (well at least one of them) is open every year to late may so you can plan on that.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    I have skied knee deep powder in May in Whistler before, anything can happen. At the very least the mountain (well at least one of them) is open every year to late may so you can plan on that.
    And I've seen it snow in San Diego. I don't think he wants to plan his vacation based upon what CAN happen. All he needs to know about snow conditions in April at the two resorts is this:

Snowbird's elevation is 11,000 feet and is 700 miles from the sea.

Whistler's elevation is 7,000 feet and 30 miles from the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Lot better weed in Whistler 4 sure.
    Sure, Whistler is better for weed, partying, beer, sex, running around naked, getting into fist fights, cocaine, and lots of other stuff. Alta is way better for April powder.

I should have said it this way:

Alta base lodge 8,500 feet and 700 miles from sea
    Whistler base lodge 2,000 feet and 30 miles from sea

Hi Puffert! May I suggest instead of the overrated, overhyped and overpriced west that you "think outside the box" and instead bring your "posse" to the mountains of the northeast, home of the gnarliest snowriding in the USA? The conditions are actually more dependable and consistent to anything you will find in the west due to the superior snowmaking. Also the terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere(can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?") and the setting is Norman Rockwell-esque! Pursuing the plethora of hot NYC/NJ and Boston "chicas" in their stretch pants can be even better than the great skiing, but I must warn you they are quite feisty and outspoken, unlike the laid-back western gals. Try Killington, Vermont, and when you score your first powder day in the glades of "Anarchy", "The Throne", "Chop Chop" or "Patsy" , you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you! Both Smugglers Notch, Vermont or Waterville Valley, New Hampshire would be a good choices as well.
    I would also like to take this opportunity to formally invite you (as well as all of the lurkers and non-lurkers alike) to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados who know the benefits of what good moderation brings to an on-line community. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. We also have superior bandwidth and response times on our 502g superfibre network as well as a state-of-the-art virtual blade server farm with 5000 terabytes of virtual disk space for your photos, blogs etc. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is strictly "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. If you are tired of the juvenile guttersniping at TGR and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is:"Come join the fun"!

Thanks for the comic relief, Greg.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyLilKitten View Post
    OTOH the latitudes are different by ten degrees and there's a lot more sun in Utah. That means the snow at Alta/Bird is going to get baked a whole lot more than Whistler. I'm sure powder days are spectacular in LCC in April, but what if you get skunked?

Let the record show I've skied Whistler many times in April, but never LCC, so I could be talking out of my ass here...

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    OTOH the latitudes are different by ten degrees and there's a lot more sun in Utah. That means the snow at Alta/Bird is going to get baked a whole lot more than Whistler. I'm sure powder days are spectacular in LCC in April, but what if you get skunked?
    Can't go wrong with LCC in April. You are either skiing fresh powder or you are skiing nice blue bird days, or both. Whistler you are more likely to ski in rain more than snow, and if neither than you'll be skiing in fog. So yes, I agree, Snowbird gets more sun :-)

Sure, Whistler is better for weed, partying, beer, sex, running around naked, getting into fist fights, cocaine, and lots of other stuff. Alta is way better for April powder.

Why do you keep bringing up the anomaly? Powder, sure it can easily happen in both places, B UT when I plan a trip in April I'm expecting corn, powder is an added bonus.
    Whiz is hudge, and when only the upper half is open from the bottom half being brown, you still get 2700' verts...

Depends on weather
    My avatar is Alta in May fwiw. You never know this far out. Gamble and enjoy what the gods see fit to give.

I checked the weather for that exact date.

It's going to nuke pow in Whistler, but you're going to be at Alta.

Sorry about your luck bro.

Sure,
    I've lived in Whistler for 15 years and I'm a little confused about the 30 miles to the sea comment? I also opened google maps and drew a 60mile radius around Whistler looking for the sea?
    Whistler in April, go for it.

you remind me of a crusty old man.....weather is weather and it could be hit or miss at alta or whistler
    Whistler would be my choice......

Greg From AZ you are good for a laugh or two thanks for popping in.
    always forward but never straight

Quote Originally Posted by Puffert View Post
    Is it easy to fly from LA to other ski resort part from Whistler and Alta. Im visting my wife in LA therefore im flying from LA.
    Six non stops a day LAX to ASE, which is only three miles from Aspen.

I absolutely love the spring-time here in Whistler, hands down the best time to visit in my opinion. Hoping for powder anywhere is a fools errand this far out as I'm sure you're aware but you definitely could get it here in April and we have many times before.

The real 'secret' of the spring time here though is that everything that is fun to do is typically open at the same damn time. Ski, mountain bike, run a river, go kitesurfing, go rock climbing all on the same day if you want. If you're in to more than one sport it's an incredible time of year.