Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Dynafit Vulcan

the best time to get a deal on ski boots is end of the ski season, you are now between and trending to the beginning of so retailers are not even in ski mode and when they get there it will be full pop eh

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5043-322/Vulcan-Ski-Boots

yeah they are 1069 but thats Can$ so reduce by 25% if you got US$

usually it sez on the page if they won't ship out of Canada so maybe they will ship to you

keep checking snow inn, all they got right now is 22.5
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the best time to get a deal on ski boots is end of the ski season, you are now between and trending to the beginning of so retailers are not even in ski mode and when they get there it will be full pop eh

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5043-322/Vulcan-Ski-Boots

yeah they are 1069 but thats Can$ so reduce by 25% if you got US$

usually it sez on the page if they won't ship out of Canada so maybe they will ship to you

keep checking snow inn, all they got right now is 22.5
    Thanks for the tip. I guess since this boot's future has been unclear for some time, I was hoping to find some old inventory. Of course, it's a popular boot though

Quote Originally Posted by pnwhiteout View Post
    Do any of y'all know if there are still deals to be had on Vulcans? Not too happy with the dynafit offerings going into this season
    https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/dy...vulcan-ms-boot

29s only

$573
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I've got an unused pair of Vulcans with FG cuffs (as detailed in XXX-er's link above) in 27/27.5 (304mm bsl) going spare. They've had a Beast power inserts installed in the heels but I'll replace the stock insert & can put a dab of silicon in the lateral holes if the Beast inserts aren't required. They're my back-up boot & they've been knocking around my shop for a year & I've used them for binding set-ups so they have a few scuffs etc but they're unskied & the liners have not been heat molded.

Will be a bargain to someone in the US as there'd be no UK/EU VAT to pay & they'd be under the US import tax/duty limit. Will let 'em go for GBP335 inc UPS/FedEx shipping to the US which on todays exchange rate would be approx US$435. If interested PM your your email address & I'll send pics.
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 08-30-2017 at 01:10 PM. Reason: SOLD

Pm sent

Any time a product is gona change for next year (even different graphics) or be disco'ed is when I look for retailers to be kicking them out at year end cuz they can't be selling last years shit

So when they 1st announced the Vulcan was gona be history I googled around, Sport Conrad was kicking them out at 67 % off in late spring so I got a pair, sold my 2 yr old Mercury's next season ... net cost about 85$ for the upgrade to Vulcan

But somehow the Vulcan is still around and the follow on products to the Vulcan have not done that well

Just got my vulcans in the mail from snowinn, Price seems to change a lot I got mine for $500 something. New dark green, carbon cuff.

..........But somehow the Vulcan is still around and the follow on products to the Vulcan have not done that well
    The Vulcan was saved by demand (particularly from the US market/retailers) which proved handy as the early Beast boots had problems.

New Hoji model due for 18/19 season with the official launch and sample models at the trade shows in January '18.

Kill the wildly popular Vulcan after a 3 yr product cycle and then shit the bed with the Khion & Beast follow on product,

so bring the Vulcan back in a different color of plastic with a FG cuff for more progressive flex BUT ship them all with a carbon cuff and charge 100$ more ... some would call it gouging the customer

I had considered the Khion but my sources told me to stick with Vulcan and since I was already in the Mercury it was an easy choice just order online, open box from Chermany, swap liners ... go touring

I hope Dynafit don't fuck this up again with the Hoji boot

I'd forgotten about the Khion!

I'm still in my Mercury's and have been happy with the factory liner (with the stitching over the foot removed) although I am on my second set.

Luckily the sample Hoji boots will be my 27/27.5 size.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post

I'm still in my Mercury's and have been happy with the factory liner (with the stitching over the foot removed) although I am on my second set.

Care to give us any info on the hoji boots?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post

I am still rocking the same set of PW's I got 4 years ago to replace those incredible pieces of shit Dynafit spec'ed in the mercury/vulcan so the way i look at it I bought a shell period

How does Scarpa spec intuition liners in their boots, buy dynafit boot hardware and still make money ?

why can't dynafit not suck?

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Care to give us any info on the hoji boots?
    Embargo till November 8th. Will bombard with info thereafter

Anyone used the Ultimate Cuff Pivot from BnD ski gear?

http://www.bndskigear.com/dynafitcustom.html
    https://www.wildsnow.com/12475/b-and...f-pivot-light/
    https://www.wildsnow.com/11467/ultim...andd-ski-gear/

Couple questions:
    - Is it difficult to install? WS makes it seem like you need to be a boot vetran, though the photos don't look tough...
    - Anyone notice a difference between the OEM part and this one? Would like to replace my orignal part to keep my Mercuries lasting as long as possible.
    - Does it work with Mercuries?
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Can’t speak to the Mercury / Vulcan, but I’ve done a few pairs of TLT’s and EVO’s. Installation is straightforward and easy, the step that takes the most time is drilling out the existing rivets. So far no issues with the replacement pivots, they are a well made kit.

2017 Dynafit Vulcan

Skimo.com sells them and has for awhile so I guess they probably have a fair bit of experience with them. They’ve been great with any questions as well. Might be worth a try . Does someone sell b and d up here?

ROAM in Nelson does, according to their website, but they don't carry this particular product (asked BnD, who weren't sure about the compatibility with Mercuries). BnD will also ship up here.

^^^ Thanks for the heads up - asked skimo.co and will report back when/if they respond.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    ROAM in Nelson does, according to their website, but they don't carry this particular product (asked BnD, who weren't sure about the compatibility with Mercuries). BnD will also ship up here.

^^^ Thanks for the heads up - asked skimo.co and will report back when/if they respond.
    No problem. I’d be interested to hear what you turn up. I have tlt6’s and vulcans and hope to keep them both for a while. I Checked at a local shop if they could get them. They said there was no Canadian distributor and they needed to get a minimum amount of products from them to get a dealer price. I take their word with a grain of salt though. They also said they couldn’t get afd’s for Salomon/atomic........

So, there is a Vulcan option for the UCP that skimo.co claims will work with the Vulcan (obviously) and the Mercury. Far as I'm aware, BnD will ship to Canada, so I'm thinking I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Pricey at $105 US, but way less than new boots.

Great. Yup pricey stuff. I’ll have to add them to the “future” list. That year when usd cad was at par was “the good ol days”

Did a mod that requires further testing for durability but seems to work as advertised for the short term.

Don't know about you guys but I found the stock forward lean options far too upright even in the more forward orientation flippable alu bracket.

So.... I cut away the upper material elongating the slot for the canada arm knob, melted some plastic of the spoiler so it's flush with the upper surface of the alu bracket.

Then, used the hard ptex from a ptex gun to fill the lower area of the void.

Then used a torch heated large flat blade screwdriver to slowly incrementally melt the ptex from the top down to create a precise fit for the alu canada arm knob.

Works great.

It'll be interesting to see how long the ptex last if/before it self combusts or cracks....but.....I kinda suspect it's good for long term cause the schtuff is pretty tough on ski bases and resistant to rock hits, bending, flexing, etc....

Easy to modify too...if it's too forward, add ptex on the upper side of the alu bracket void and use the torch heated screwdriver to melt more plastic on the lower side to dial in the exact right degrees you want.

Or diy yer own alum bracket, which i wanted to do but i'm working remotely these days so using tools/materials on hand.

Also, I suspect the increase in flange surface area resulting in a better top to bottom 'squeeze' of the canada arm knob results in notable increase in rear support if thrown in the backseat. In stock form in more upright settings, i found the boot a bit 'spongy' in rear support.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090087.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	745.2 KB 
ID:	228478
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090088.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	839.9 KB 
ID:	228479  
    Master of mediocrity.

So given the new boots out there (Lange Freetour 130, Salomon MTN Lab, Atomic Hawx XTD, Blizzard OG/Cochise, etc), is there still an uphill or downhill performance advantage/reason to go with the Vulcan?

Not bashing, just wondering if freeride touring boots are advancing that quickly?
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 04-09-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    So given the new boots out there (Lange Freetour 130, Salomon MTN Lab, Atomic Hawx XTD, Blizzard OG/Cochise, etc), is there still an uphill or downhill performance advantage/reason to go with the Vulcan?

Not bashing, just wondering if freeride touring boots are advancing that quickly?
    Don't know the Lange or new Cochise. See discussion about new 0G. For me, either it or the HawX will replace the Vulcan. They are that good in touring mode. The Vulcan's quick change transition is still the best but mine are falling apart

Found a deal on a new pair of size 29.0 Vulcans with the black carbon cuff. Was not happy with my Scarpa Freedom SL's. They were 29.5 and packed out yet still tight in the toe box area(if that makes sense). So trying on for the first time and playing around with the removable tongue, it seemed hard to tell the difference if the tongue was in or out. Are people mostly just touring without using the tongue?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    Found a deal on a new pair of size 29.0 Vulcans with the black carbon cuff. Was not happy with my Scarpa Freedom SL's. They were 29.5 and packed out yet still tight in the toe box area(if that makes sense). So trying on for the first time and playing around with the removable tongue, it seemed hard to tell the difference if the tongue was in or out. Are people mostly just touring without using the tongue?

Others may run their mean greens differently due to different preferences but here's what works for me.

I never use the tongues, and only run one flex stop on the medial "inside" cuff of the boot. This allows me to drive the skis with power to the inside edge of downhill ski but allows a hair more forgiveness of cuff flex on the 'outside' cuff/shell to allow for more subtle terrain absorbsion with the outside edge of the uphill ski.

I find the boots still too stiff in cold temps so i'm working on a mod to soften/increase progressive forward flex for cold temps.

Custom modded to add quite a bit more forward lean. Add rear cuff spoilers. Add small heel lift under liner. I found the boots in stock form were far too upright and the internal ramp angle too low to stay 'forward' in the boots and engage the flex pattern. Always felt like I was 'behind' the boot and not able to activate its flex. I now feel prit near perfectly centered in the boots and feel like i can engage the flex much more naturally in temps that are >= minus 5 or so C.

Add intuition liners. stock liners are cold in cooler temps.

Height 5'10"
    Weight 195 lbs with pack on (most of the time)
    Ski mostly fat to really fat skis; k2 darkside, volkl 2, volkl kuros, armada jj
    Master of mediocrity.