Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

2017 Dynafit Vulcan

Can someone school me on what happened with this boot? First the rumor was it was gone, then it was back on. But now that the season is here I can only find BC.com having anything in stock and they only have 25/25.5. This boot is barely even on the Dynafit website.

It's bizarre to me that a boot with such a huge cult following and being Dynafit's only large volume option would be discontinued.

So is there something that I missed in the endless threads about this boot? Please school me.

At the end of its 3 yr product cycle Dynafit discontinued the Vulcan as we knew it, the follow on boot was the Khion which was recalled last year to be replaced by the Beast this year. I say as we know it cuz " A Vulcan " still exists in a different color of green with no carbon cuff for more money

The trick was to realize that there would be smokin deals on the old Vulcan when they announced the Khion ... I got my Vulcans for 67 percent off
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-11-2016 at 02:56 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5043-322/Vulcan-Ski-Boots

Fiberglass cuff & different color of green for 1069 can

But the new beast has a 98mm last. So how does Dynafit reckon that the beast should replace the Vulcan. It makes no sense.

So the '17 Vulcan you linked to is not as stiff as the Carbon version of yesteryear? Bummer. I really should have jumped on a pair during the blowout.

I haven't actualy seen a new Vulcan or talked to anyone who bought the boot but I assume it would be softer

I duno if I would call it a large volume boot, I found it snug on the heel/ ankle/ wide up front

If you fit the Vulcan I would find a lightly used pair and spend whatever you saved on an intuition liner cuz by most acounts the liner sucked. Those boots are out there used cuz some people especially those with a high instep found the instep was tight and the liner sucked but if the Vulcan fits you it's a stiff light boot with lots of ROM

Who knows why Dynafit does what they do
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-11-2016 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tharmor View Post
    But the new beast has a 98mm last. So how does Dynafit reckon that the beast should replace the Vulcan. It makes no sense.

So the '17 Vulcan you linked to is not as stiff as the Carbon version of yesteryear? Bummer. I really should have jumped on a pair during the blowout.
    The BC Gearhead and shop in VT I talked to said they're getting some in mid-Jan. Seems like stock ran out in the US.

And I don't think the Beast is a 98mm last, I saw 103.

Vulcans and Mercuries were, for a couple of years, by far the most popular boots amongst people I know. Why Dynafit then dropped them without an acceptable substitute boggles the mind.

The Mercury was billed as a 110 flex & the carbon Vulcan as a 130 flex. The carbon Vulcan was too stiff/abrupt for me so I went with the Mercurys & loved 'em. I didn't react soon enough when the Mercury was binned at the end of the 14/15 season and Dynafit was sold out of 27/27.5's

The new Vulcan was then launched for the 15/16 season & was billed as 120 flex & is identical in fit etc as the original/Mercury & it has removable flex stops & a better liner. When Dynafit announced that the new Vulcan was also to be binned after just one season I snapped up a pair. Only done a couple of laps in the new Vulcan after heat moulding the liner to check that all was well & they're now sitting around waiting until my Mercurys die. I really should put a Mercury & Vulcan on each foot & do a bit a static flexing to see if I can tell the difference but I've not got around to it yet.

According to my contact at Dynafit they are still offering the 120 flex Vulcan for 16/17 (even though it's not in their catalogue or on their website) due to demand/pressure from Salewa USA. I think the chances of it continuing a further season in to 17/18 are pretty slim.

Earlier today I was comparing the Vulcan and the Beast and I thought I read that the Beast was 98mm but maybe that was the Khion. I have since read on EarnYourTurns that the last size is 102mm on the new Beast boot. Either way this whole thing is baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Vulcans and Mercuries were, for a couple of years, by far the most popular boots amongst people I know. Why Dynafit then dropped them without an acceptable substitute boggles the mind.
    I think the khion was the still born follow on to the Vulcan/Mercury ... who knew it was going to bomb?

I found new Vulcans for cheap and flogged my Mercury's so the upgrade cost me 85 $, the Mercury was great and the Vulcan was even better

I thot about keeping the Merc's cuz the Vulcans were so cheap but I would have never used em .... time to move on

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    It still boggles the mind

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think the khion was the still born follow on to the Vulcan/Mercury ... who knew it was going to bomb?

I found new Vulcans for cheap and flogged my Mercury's so the upgrade cost me 85 $, the Mercury was great and the Vulcan was even better

I thot about keeping the Merc's cuz the Vulcans were so cheap but I would have never used em .... time to move on
    There's some Mercurys going for super reasonable prices. Spyderjon, Truax is selling one for $400. What blows me away is that Dynafit had a clear lead with Vulcan/Mercury then blew it away with the Khion.

So now if you want boots that will ski better and not tour quite as well as Vulcan you got Tecnica ZeroG, Salomon Mtn Lab and a whole parcel of other boots I haven't tried that are closing the gap.

And if you want light boots that also ski reasonably well now you dont juat have TLt6 and 7 you have F1, Backland, Mtn Explore, etc.

I mean I know the Noram market is tiny in comparison to Europe but why piss away that cult following of Vulcan/Mercury with the holy grail of awesome touring with stiffness with something like the Khion and now Beast that tour like ass. I dunno.

2017 Dynafit Vulcan

Meh, MTN Lab is a reasonable sub. Skis much better and tours really well still. No tongue BS and shitty walk mode switch either. One less buckle also. But yeah, pretty silly for them to drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Meh, MTN Lab is a reasonable sub. Skis much better and tours really well still. No tongue BS and shitty walk mode switch either. One less buckle also. But yeah, pretty silly for them to drop it.
    Don't get me wrong. I agree with you; that Mtn Lab is eyeopening I'm debating cutting some plastic from the lower cuff of a ZeroG prototype to see if it will walk a bit better too. Both ski so well compared to Vulcan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I haven't been in the mtn lab, but I don't see how it would fit anywhere near the Vulcan which is my big hang up. I'm the guy mentioned earlier in this thread, skinny heels, wide up front and high instep. Think the mtn lab looks like a great boot but seriously doubt it'd fit peeps like me?
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    I haven't been in the mtn lab, but I don't see how it would fit anywhere near the Vulcan which is my big hang up. I'm the guy mentioned earlier in this thread, skinny heels, wide up front and high instep. Think the mtn lab looks like a great boot but seriously doubt it'd fit peeps like me?
    I punched the boot at forefoot probably 7mm or so. The skinny heels are a different issue. Probably pads at the liner. Didnt think it would fit till I worked with Thomas at Intuition and Tom at Comor Whistler

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Yeah, I have a similar foot. All this talk of how well the Mtn Lab skis compared to the Vulcan has me stoked, but I tried on a pair and the heel hold just isn't there for me. Though I guess it was a little hard to tell because I was in a fair amount of pain in the forefoot—not a huge concern like Lee pointed out but a little tough to focus on the heel when your toes are in pain. Maybe if I moved the lower buckle up a bit to be over the instep and padded the heel of the liner, I could get it to work without giving me blisters...but that seems like an awful lot of effort/money for a potentially mediocre result. And it could be that the lower buckle is as high as possible without interfering with the upper when flexing.

Good news is my Vulcans have many days left in them, and Hoji indicated on a thread here a while ago that the Vulcan 2.0 might be coming at some point...
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Vulcan size 24 fits me with no punches, tours great and drives a big ski. The Mercury fits/Skis pretty much exactly the same just 20% less stiff, I bought both on the Web and just skied them , I've worn them on some very big days, I am more concerned with a boot being strong enough and it Skis well enough for me

And don't forget the ONE which was the softest of that trio, some buds have them and it's a pretty good boot probably
    about as stiff as a mango maestrale?

isn't there a chance some of you might've been a touch quick to dismiss the khion/beast?
    i never got to try a vulcan outside a shop because i don't have "buy-it-on-faith-in the-hope-that-buying-a-different-liner-will sort-out-the-fit" money. however all that extra ROM seemed to be rearward unless you take out the tongue which is a PIA.

Lee, you made it sound like i was going to dislike the khion on longer tours. this hasn't been my experience at all. They ski like absolute champs too. I'm 215 lbs driving a typically tgr-esque 196cm fat ski and haven't once wished for a stiffer boot. YMMV and all, but i don't get the khion hate.

The new Vulcan has also been dismissed without anyone seeming to have skied it. Makes sense that it wouldn't be as stiff, but is it? Dynafit says more progressive, xxx-er says more expensive, but no one seems to have skied the fucking thing.

Is it just a Mercury, or is it just slightly softer than the OG Vulcan?

My first year Vulcans feel like they're on borrowed time and I just want another pair

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    isn't there a chance some of you might've been a touch quick to dismiss the khion/beast?
    i never got to try a vulcan outside a shop because i don't have "buy-it-on-faith-in the-hope-that-buying-a-different-liner-will sort-out-the-fit" money. however all that extra ROM seemed to be rearward unless you take out the tongue which is a PIA.

Lee, you made it sound like i was going to dislike the khion on longer tours. this hasn't been my experience at all. They ski like absolute champs too. I'm 215 lbs driving a typically tgr-esque 196cm fat ski and haven't once wished for a stiffer boot. YMMV and all, but i don't get the khion hate.
    Yah but remember I specifically said the boot is for big guys who can use that stiffness and I'm 160lbs which is sfa. I also said that the Khion is a step back in the touring aspect which is because I'm comparing it to Vulcan.

But iirc you came from a boot which also toured poorly and also you're a big dude which means you can actually use Khion to its intended design.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post

Lee, you made it sound like i was going to dislike the khion on longer tours. this hasn't been my experience at all. They ski like absolute champs too. I'm 215 lbs driving a typically tgr-esque 196cm fat ski and havene't once wished for a stiffer boot. YMMV and all, but i don't get the khion hate.
    Its not that we hate Khion but we find it wanting in comparison to the Vulcan it replaced, I could probably make the Khion or beast work with a punch if the sizing went down small enough to try a carbon model

Khion initialy had issues with the BOA so there weren't any to try-on at MEC, the carbons don't go down to 24 so when I finally did get to try on the funny purplely womans model it was very hard to get on the foot with the liner still in the boot which I know killed some sales for dynafit and it wasn't stiff enough for me

Then there was the ski mode latch thing, then Dynafit did a total recall, so now we got the beast, in any case it hardly sounds like a winner or the makings of a cult classic?

The way I see it the design of the overlap is in the way of forward ROM in the khion, possibly any overlap touring boot is not going to have the ROM of a boot with a removable tongue, so you can either get great rom or more progressive flex but I'm not sure how the boot designers are going to give us both ... or have they already ?

the old Vulcan was always < 1000 can $ and the new Vulcan is 1069 can $ SO its about 100 $ more for less carbon

"Bomb" means it didnt sell well, and your indicator for that might be that MEC the largest retailer in Canada had the Khion at 27% off before the new year last x-mas
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-12-2016 at 08:47 PM.

I have another question that would probably be better suited for the Beast thread but it is relevant here too:

With the Khion still being sold at retailers but having been recalled, where does that lead someone who buys a new old-stock pair of Khions in regards to the recall for a Beast replacement. I cannot be the only deviant to have thought about this.

Replacement applies. I bought a used pair and was up front with dynafit about it. They replaced it without hesitation.

Pretty sure it only is sold overseas. Guessing Dynafit has said no sending boots to NA.