Thread: Greg Lake RIP

Greg Lake RIP

Cancer takes another one.

So much great music over the years.

greg-lake

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

2016 has really not been a good year for musicians.

RIP to another one.

"The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

bummer, he made lots of great music.

Bummer indeed.
    RIP Greg.

Lucky man he was.
    watch out for snakes

When life was an absolute shambles, when I was driving semi trucks on night shift in the plains, dreams long shattered....I have a salient memory from this very, very hard time: it's about 3am heading south from Charleston Illinois. It's 85 degrees and the windows are open. Arrow straight, pancake flat, and very dark. Lightning just hammering nonstop on the horizon, lighting up the sky. This song came on and I rolled to a stop there in the middle of the road and just looked up at the stars, bewildered at the juxtaposition of such a mind-boggling, tremendously beautiful moment buried so deeply in the shitpile of what my life had become....just like "wow, there's still good stuff, even way down here at the very bottom.".

when I hear it now, I can hear the detroit diesel idling, I can smell the fertilizer and wet dirt. I can see that big wide flat horizon with the lights twinkling way out there at the edge. Never has there been a better song for looking at a huge sky in the middle of a lonely night.
    So thanks, broseph, that song was the shiz.

^Awesome.

RIP Greg.

The black queen chants the funeral march,
    The cracked brass bells will ring;
    To summon back the fire witch
    To the court of the crimson king.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    The black queen chants the funeral march,
    The cracked brass bells will ring;
    To summon back the fire witch
    To the court of the crimson king.
    There have been a few bands that I saw in my youth, that made such an impression on me, they will be with me until the day I leave this place. King Crimson and ELP were two such bands. The influence they had over me greatly influenced the music I love to this day, the stories I like to read and the daydreams that I often find myself musing over.
    I always thought Greg Lake was just an incredible musician. His voice was perfect for the such "English" or maybe "Mid-evil" lyrics that were King Crimson and ELP. I saw him live many times and I was always amazed by his easy transition from bass to guitars and back again.
    As a kid, I ate a lot of acid and King Crimson and ELP were always way up on the playlist for when I was tripping balls out. The songs and the emotions they brought out of me mean a lot to me and are not forgotten.
    I was and am very sorry to hear that you passed Greg. At the very end, I hope I can hear you sing me "In the Wake of Poseidon" one last time. Farewell

"In The Wake Of Poseidon"

Plato's spawn cold ivyed eyes
    Snare truth in bone and globe.
    Harlequins coin pointless games
    Sneer jokes in parrot's robe.
    Two women weep, Dame Scarlet Screen
    Sheds sudden theatre rain,
    Whilst dark in dream the Midnight Queen
    Knows every human pain.

In air, fire, earth and water
    World on the scales.
    Air, fire, earth and water
    Balance of change
    World on the scales
    On the scales.

Bishop's kings spin judgement's blade
    Scratch "Faith" on nameless graves.
    Harvest hags Hoard ash and sand
    Rack rope and chain for slaves
    Who fireside fear fermented words
    Then rear to spoil the feast;
    Whilst in the aisle the mad man smiles
    To him it matters least.

Heroes hands drain stones for blood
    To whet the scaling knife.
    Magi blind with visions light
    Net death in dread of life.
    Their children kneel in Jesus till
    They learn the price of nail;
    Whilst all around our mother earth
    Waits balanced on the scales.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Rough day.

RIP Greg Lake and Dave Brubeck. Can't forget John Glen, he made a few significant contributions too...

John Lennon was killed today in 1980 also.

Guess it goes without saying...

Vibes

Great music to get stoned by...awe! to be in high school again.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    When life was an absolute shambles, when I was driving semi trucks on night shift in the plains, dreams long shattered....I have a salient memory from this very, very hard time: it's about 3am heading south from Charleston Illinois. It's 85 degrees and the windows are open. Arrow straight, pancake flat, and very dark. Lightning just hammering nonstop on the horizon, lighting up the sky. This song came on and I rolled to a stop there in the middle of the road and just looked up at the stars, bewildered at the juxtaposition of such a mind-boggling, tremendously beautiful moment buried so deeply in the shitpile of what my life had become....just like "wow, there's still good stuff, even way down here at the very bottom.".

when I hear it now, I can hear the detroit diesel idling, I can smell the fertilizer and wet dirt. I can see that big wide flat horizon with the lights twinkling way out there at the edge. Never has there been a better song for looking at a huge sky in the middle of a lonely night.
    So thanks, broseph, that song was the shiz.
    Thanks for that. I've been playing this song with a guitar player (I'm a hand drummer) for a few years and never asked where it came from.

RIP Greg.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

The battle of Evermore played on Pandora while I was working out this morning. And it reminded me of The Court of The Crimson King for some reason.
    I see hydraulic turtles.