Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The PODCAST thread

So it turns out I'm not the only geek out there that likes to listen to podcasts. So, what are you listening to these days? Here's a few of mine:

Slide, The Avalanche Podcast. Covert is doing good work with this, and it's what inspired this thread.

Outside. The magazine might suck, but there have been some really good ones. Check out the 2 parter about the plane crash in Bolivia.

Powder. How could you not like interviews with Plake?

Mtnmeister. Some of these have been good

Adventure Sports podcast. Check out the one with the guy that walks across lake Baikal.

I also listen to a bunch of business podcasts that I won't bore anyone with. And when the hell is Serial coming back?

I'm actually kind of interested in the business podcasts. I listen to NPR's Planet Money and it can be interesting.

I kind of love How Did This Get Made. It's Paul Scheer, Jason Mantzoukas, and June Diane Raphael making fun of bad movies. It's a weekly podcast and it works best if you watch the movie in advance. They can be very funny.

I listen to the fantasy focus podcast on ESPN. I think it used to be funnier back when fantasy sports didn't have such a broad audience, but it's still a solid way to kill an hour in the car. It's a daily podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    So it turns out I'm not the only geek out there that likes to listen to podcasts. So, what are you listening to these days? Here's a few of mine:

Slide, The Avalanche Podcast. Covert is doing good work with this, and it's what inspired this thread.

Outside. The magazine might suck, but there have been some really good ones. Check out the 2 parter about the plane crash in Bolivia.

Powder. How could you not like interviews with Plake?

Mtnmeister. Some of these have been good

Adventure Sports podcast. Check out the one with the guy that walks across lake Baikal.

I also listen to a bunch of business podcasts that I won't bore anyone with. And when the hell is Serial coming back?
    The Enormocast is great.

Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast fucking kills it.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Jocko Podcast: life, books, fitness, jui jitzu, war, stoicism. Episode 36 with Kieran Doherty, a Rueters photog who's shot anything from Wimbledon to Genocide in Africa to Tsunami aftermath in Sri Lanka is a must listen.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Joe Rogan, Freakonomics, Revisionist History by Malcom Gladwell is awesome, Radiolab, Hardcore History and Common Sense; two really good podcasts by Dan Carlin, Science Vs.

Will check out the action / adventure podcasts. Didnt realize those were out there.

cripple creek's totally deep podcast is pretty good.

enormocast is good as well if you're into climbing,

i like that chris kalous (enormocast host and totally deep producers) only does in person interviews, which is something that I don't like about mtn meister and powder's podcast, plus those two are more just part of the routine circle jerk. enormocast and totally deep interviews seem more like friends getting together for a beer.

I used to listen to the dirtbag diaries, but the stories seem to have gone downhill and they frequently record over the phone at low volumes which makes it hard to listen to in my car at highway speeds. Still the first 10-20 episodes of the dirtbag diaries are quality.

Dan Carlin / Hardcore History - long episodes, but pretty interesting. The WW1 series (Blueprint for Armageddon) is fantastic.
    This American Life - all over the board in terms of topics. mostly random non-fiction stories presented in an engaging way.
    Keeping it 1600 - Liberal pundits. Decidedly biased, but often entertaining.

Enjoying the recommendations. +1 for Radiolab, Revisionist history and anything by Dan Carlin (who else could make 20 hours on WW1 riveting). 99 % Invisible, and Longform are also pretty reliable. Of the skiing related, Cripple Creek, Blister, and Powder have their moments, but I find Low Pressure intolerable. Of the mountain biking related, I've given up trying to find a listenable episode of MBR and Singletracks.

Serial

My roster is Slide, Radiolab, This American Life, Serial, More Perfect (Radiolab covers the Supreme Court), Planet Money, Powder, Invisibilia. I was listening to NPR's politics podcast but can't stomach politics at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Revisionist History by Malcom Gladwell is awesome
    Mentioned twice now, but is it just me or did they only do a few episodes and then stop?

Good thread. My favorites, usually via TuneInRadio app:
    --FiveThirtyEight
    --Slate's Trumpcast (especially the DJT impersonator who reads the tweets)
    --To the Point
    --Left Right & Center
    --This American Life and Radiolab (usually listen to them on broadcast radio)
    --Serial (although, as an attorney, it was at times frustrating)
    --Freakonomics Radio (occasionally)

-This American Life
    -Stuff You Should Know
    -BS Report
    -The Dan LeBatard Show

I like the Adam Carroll show,Dan Patrick's radio show is available every day and Greg Fitzsimmons is pretty funny too

Bill Burr's is fucking amazing
    Michael Rappaport and G Moody, last name rhymes with doody
    Joe Rogan
    Totally Deep
    Slide
    Low pressure
    Jim Florentine

2 dope Queens
    Imaginary Worlds if you have any inclination towards sci-fi and fantasy
    WTF w/ Marc Maron
    Tony Kornheiser

Joe Rogan
    The Smoking Tire
    Hooniverse
    Adam Carolla
    UFC Unfiltered
    Weird Medicine w/Dr Steve
    Sponsored
    Unmasked w/Ron Bennington
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

If you like philosophy Wesley Cecil on you tube can be fine.

+whatever for hardcore history. My favorite podcast of all time.

Dirtbag Diaries is a good adventure podcast with a slant towards climbing, but it hits all the sports.

If you like Serial, then try In the Dark. It's a good true crime pod. Same for Crimetown. It's about the mob in Providence RI.

Song Exploder is an amazing music podcast where they break down songs into their component parts. I'm not a music guy, but find it fascinating.

Invisibilia is a cool science-y one.

I listen to Rogan, Tim Ferriss, WTF, etc, but get bored with those after awhile. I feel like you get the gist of their POV after a handful of episodes and it starts to get repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Bill Burr's is fucking amazing
    Michael Rappaport and G Moody
    Can't stop listening to Burr, the guy kills me. His specials are great but the podcasts are even better(2 podcasts a week, he occasionally has some off days). Need to listen to Rappaport, the podcast Burr had him guest star on was great. Those two should go on a road trip. Surprised this was the only mention of Burr's podcast

Rights to Ricky Sanchez.
    Econtalk.

Quote Originally Posted by groundcontrol323 View Post
    Surprised this was the only mention of Burr's podcast
    C'mon man, post #3..... Bill Burr is the man.......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Mentioned already but I'll add my vote to the Low Pressure Podcast. CBC has some good ones. This is That makes me laugh.

i forgot to mention "The Sharp End" its a podcast which interviews people involved in North American Climbing accidents from the American Alpine Club. Definitely good stuff.