Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    that was great, thanks for the rec. listened to a few but the missing hit was an amazing stand alone episode.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

american scandal season 4 on the hare krishna’s. banger.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

The PODCAST thread

This one I couldn’t stop listening once it got going - true story of a Stanford drop out who wanted to be the next Steve Jobs until her fraudulent house of cards collapsed.

Just getting back into podcasts after 3 months of doing the 2hr commute thing. I don't know why the JRE gets so much flack on here. Definitely have to pick and choose which ones you listen to based on the guests, but there are some gems... the one with Kevin Hart is pretty damn good IMO.

Rogan is a dumb person’s idea of a smart person. He is pretty much a gateway to the alt right and uses his platform to promote a bunch of hacks and wackos. While he occasionally has interesting people on he’s so far down the Qanaon hole there’s no coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Just getting back into podcasts after 3 months of doing the 2hr commute thing. I don't know why the JRE gets so much flack on here. Definitely have to pick and choose which ones you listen to based on the guests, but there are some gems... the one with Kevin Hart is pretty damn good IMO.
    Check out one of the recent ones with Frank A. Von Hippel, ep 1540. Von Hippel's an expert in exotoxicology. Really interesting episode.

The reason Rogan gets so much flack is because (A) those who hate on him obviously don't know anything about him and just regurgitate what they've heard others say, and (B) are easily offended by the notion of free dialogue with people whom they may radically disagree with. See below...

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Rogan is a dumb person’s idea of a smart person. He is pretty much a gateway to the alt right and uses his platform to promote a bunch of hacks and wackos. While he occasionally has interesting people on he’s so far down the Qanaon hole there’s no coming back.
    Uh, no. First off, he constantly says how dumb he is. He's not pretending to be some sort of genius. HOWEVER, he does enjoy talking to people across a wide variety of viewpoints. He's hosted conservatives like Dan Crenshaw to liberals like Bernie Sanders, and has the ability to have an open, polite, usually fun conversation with just about anyone. That's what makes the show interesting. It's not so much about Joe. It's about his guests. Personally, I appreciate the open dialogue. It's one of the best ways to get to know someone and a bit of their knowledge, for better or worse.

A gateway to the "alt right"? <---(Proof you don't know him. He's a loud and proud Liberal) Ha! It just sounds like you're an opponent of free speech. Think there should be some sort of limitation on who he has on? You going to go join the Spotify employee strike?

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Check out one of the recent ones with Frank A. Von Hippel, ep 1540. Von Hippel's an expert in exotoxicology. Really interesting episode.

The reason Rogan gets so much flack is because (A) those who hate on him obviously don't know anything about him and just regurgitate what they've heard others say, and (B) are easily offended by the notion of free dialogue with people whom they may radically disagree with. See below...

Uh, no. First off, he constantly says how dumb he is. He's not pretending to be some sort of genius. HOWEVER, he does enjoy talking to people across a wide variety of viewpoints. He's hosted conservatives like Dan Crenshaw to liberals like Bernie Sanders, and has the ability to have an open, polite, usually fun conversation with just about anyone. That's what makes the show interesting. It's not so much about Joe. It's about his guests. Personally, I appreciate the open dialogue. It's one of the best ways to get to know someone and a bit of their knowledge, for better or worse.

A gateway to the "alt right"? <---(Proof you don't know him. He's a loud and proud Liberal) Ha! It just sounds like you're an opponent of free speech. Think there should be some sort of limitation on who he has on? You going to go join the Spotify employee strike?
    ya but have you tried pro-biotics? He does have some interesting guests.

here's a list of good science ones: https://www.ranker.com/list/the-best...ranker-podcast

Started on this Sasquatch podcast and it was pretty fun, https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcas...g/id1434465245
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    blah blah blah
    That response is proof you don’t know shit about me, and are projecting on to some straw man.

I know plenty about Rogan. Listened to his podcast for years, but can’t anymore because it’s so awful.

He was one of the “comics” that Desus and Mero called out on Hot Ones for being too lazy to get past “non-PC” shtick and that’s why he always complains about free speech and being censored.

Now those two are funny if you want a more raunchy style podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    That response is proof you don’t know shit about me, and are projecting on to some straw man.

I know plenty about Rogan. Listened to his podcast for years, but can’t anymore because it’s so awful.

He was one of the “comics” that Desus and Mero called out on Hot Ones for being too lazy to get past “non-PC” shtick and that’s why he always complains about free speech and being censored.

Now those two are funny if you want a more raunchy style podcast.
    Ok, ok, then. So what makes you think he's any way remotely a gateway to the "Alt Right" then?

BTW, if you like raunchy comedy podcasts, have you listened to Your Mom's House (Tom Segura and his wife, Christina P)? It's freaking hilarious. In my standard rotation. Explains a lot actually. [hangs head in shame] http://www.yourmomshousepodcast.com/

^ Meh, I have a pretty good filter for bullshit and in the few recent podcasts I’ve listened to it’s pretty obvious when he’s overreaching on his... theories. It’s actually been really nice that in every scenario of this happening, so far, the guest has reigned him back in.

Obviously there are episodes out there where the guest feeds into it and things go off the rails quickly. That’s precisely why I’ve been picking and choosing wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    ^ Meh, I have a pretty good filter for bullshit and in the few recent podcasts I’ve listened to it’s pretty obvious when he’s overreaching on his... theories. It’s actually been really nice that in every scenario of this happening, so far, the guest has reigned him back in.

Obviously there are episodes out there where the guest feeds into it and things go off the rails quickly. That’s precisely why I’ve been picking and choosing wisely.
    Oh for sure. I mostly just listen to the ones I'd find most interesting. The Bernie Sanders and Tulsi Gabbard ones were good IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

I like the Conan podcast. Pretty sure I’d like to bone his assistant too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Got some long plane rides in my future. Who has some good new recommendations? Looking for a series like bundyville ideally.

Dying For Sex was awesome.

Dr Death was too.

I've been really enjoying "a history of rock music in 500 songs." Saw a recommendation for it somewhere on here, I think from Bunny. Lots of interesting tidbits. The guy's accent takes a little getting used to, but it's well researched and I find it a lot more interesting than the Rick Ruben / Malcolm Gladwell thing.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Got some long plane rides in my future. Who has some good new recommendations? Looking for a series like bundyville ideally.
    Not a podcast, more of an audiobook, but I really enjoyed Malcolm Gladwell's piece on Paul Simon.

If you like Comedy Bang Bang, CBB World is a great extended universe. It's subscription-based, but worth it alone for the CBB back catalog and ad-free listening.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Dying For Sex was awesome.
    Unfortunately I cruised through that one before I even got on a plane. Not what I expected, but excellent. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Unfortunately I cruised through that one before I even got on a plane. Not what I expected, but excellent. Thanks,
    I cried at the end. Wasn’t expecting that. She would have made a fantastic Maggette.

Bill Mahers new podcast Club Random is good. He and interesting guests get stoned and drunk and just talk for an hour. JB Smooves "May I elaborate" is pretty funny
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Fly On The Wall with Carvey and Spade. As an interview show, it's just okay. What I really like is that it's an interesting and nostalgic look under the hood at SNL from the perspective of the folks that were there.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Fly On The Wall with Carvey and Spade. As an interview show, it's just okay. What I really like is that it's an interesting and nostalgic look under the hood at SNL from the perspective of the folks that were there.
    Update after listening to more episodes. It gets a little repetitive. Things go okay with funny guests, but they don’t have the chops to keep things going with the more boring guests. Carvey just isn’t that funny anymore and he relies too heavily on name drops and impersonations. I think Spade could probably shine with a better cohost.

Conan Needs a Friend is kinda similar as far as conversational, nostalgic, inside baseball podcasts go, but much better, IMO. Conan has seen it all, knows everyone, and is still funny and his sidekicks are solid (Matt Gorley is hilarious) and manage to fill in without stepping on toes.

Bump. Got a long drive coming up. Anything new and exciting in the podcast world?

The PODCAST thread

If you want more like science-y podcasts I’ve been listening to Oligies a lot. The host interviews scientists about their field and its wide-ranging and well produced.

I am also into one called The Wild with Chris Morgan. He’s a wildlife photographer and goes out and studies animals. Very fun as well.

For history, Hardcore History is always a favorite (and each episode is like five hours long). I also like The Rest is History which is a couple of Brits talking about history so it’s interesting to hear a non-US POV on some events.

For art I like a podcast called 99% invisible which talks about design and how it impacts the world. For music I like Song Exploder where they interview artists about their songs and go through how they were made. It’s super interesting even for someone not very musically inclined.

The PODCAST thread

For light hearted laughs and famous people: SmartLess or Conan O’Brien Needs a Friend.

For engaging history nuggets that are quick and easy to digest: Everything Everywhere Daily or History Daily.

My all time favorites:
    Marc Maron Obama interview
    RadioLab Poop Train
    Stuff You Should Know NYC Water: An engineering marvel
    Dying For Sex
    Doctor Death