Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    RadioLab, More Perfect, Snap Judgment, The Moth, Car Talk, This American Life, Stuff You Should Know, Hardcore History, Common Sense, Invisibilia, 99% Invisible, Planet Money - these are all great, but pretty well known.

RISK! - @ risk-show.com. I can't recommend this one enough. The host is a bit annoying, but you only have to listen to him for < 5 min/ 1 hour show. Their tag line is, "People telling true stories they never thought they would dare to share." Mostly comics and actors telling true stories in early years, now with more normal folk telling stories. Most are funny as hell, but there are some HEAVY episodes.

Sick and Wrong - Hilarious show. Started out as a show where listeners called in the sickest and wrongest news stories of the past week. Turned into ^ plus a couple of guys sitting around BSing and getting drunk. If you are a SJW, need trigger warnings, or consider yourself politically correct, then this one is absolutely not for you. Probably only good for people with a dark sense of humor. The first 500 or so episodes with Lance Wackerle are better than the most recent ones, IMO.

Another vote for "How did This Get Made". Do yourself a favor and search out the episode where they did "Birdemic". That one had me rolling and I didn't even watch the movie. Otherwise, definitely helps if you watch the movie first.

Can't believe "Doug Loves Movies" hasn't been mentioned. Mark Wahlberg FTW!

If you like pub trivia, "Good Job Brain" is always entertaining.

Def digging Slide even though I don't get into too much slide-able terrain. I'm about 2 years into Wintry Mix, an economic themed winter sports podcast, which has occasionally been in TGR posts. They're 20-30 mins and a partnership w Vermont Public Radio. About 70% east coast, tho... Generally stays away from the "pro skier" thing. More folks who work/live in or around the winter economy.

https://soundcloud.com/wintry-mix-cast
    http://www.wintrymixcast.com

On the non ski side def second some said before..

Dan Lebatard (sports/society)
    Keeping it 1600 (Left politics)
    Outside Podcast
    Dirtbag diaries
    Outside/In
    Rumble Strip VT

Chapo Trap House - tough to describe. very in-depth political content mixed with very twitter/irony humor. probably an acquired taste for a lot of you, unless you're Extremely Online.

Cum Town - 3 comedians, ultra funny, also Extremely Online

"How I built this."

http://www.npr.org/podcasts/510313/how-i-built-this

note this is different from "How did This Get Made"

Wow. Glad I clicked into this. Tons of good ideas here.
    FWIW, I've stopped listening to This American Life after being pretty devoted for a long time. For the last year or two it's just been one depressing story after another. Interesting yes, but when I know I'm going to be depressed listening to a podcast I take a pass.

Loved the first Serial. Kind of disappointed that their attempts to follow up on it were so half assed. Not even a little interested in the second season.

For the life of me I just cannot listen to Joe Rogan or Adam Carolla. Like nails on a chalk board.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I wanted to find some new ones to listen to. Thanks for sharing. I enjoy RadioLab, Invisibilia, Planet Money and On Point.
    パウダーバカ!!

Anyone listened to that new Serial spin off yet?

Any other reccos? travelling soon and wouldn't mind a few extra episodes.

If you're into history there is this podcast called hardcore history that's pretty cool but some of the episodes are insaley long. Good for long drives if you're into it though.. if you like really weird shit here be monsters can be really fucked up and entertaining

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Anyone listened to that new Serial spin off yet?

Any other reccos? travelling soon and wouldn't mind a few extra episodes.
    S Town ( the Serial spinoff) was ok, but nowhere near as good as Serial. Seems like they ran out of material about three episodes in.

Missing Richard Simmons was surprisingly compelling.

Also have started listening to Stuff You Should Know. I don't remember if it's been mentioned in this thread or not yet.

Lots of other ones in here are great as well.

Pardon My Take
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

For the people that enjoy the NPR stuff: Radiolab, This American Life, Serial, S Town, More Perfect, Invisibilia, etc.... Check out Embedded.

RE: Marc Maron and Joe Rogan - When they have good guests, they are great listens, but most of the time its some unknown comedian or some MMA guy I could care less about.....
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

If you're into history, Mike Duncan's History of Rome podcast is outstanding. Haven't listened to his Revolutions one yet.

Woah. 140 some episode for that Rome podcast.

Seriously listen to Cum Town. It's the funniest thing you will find.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    I'm about 100 episodes into this one after about 6 months of listening off and on (long rides and home renovation projects). Very cool. Witty and somewhat off hand with great content.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    It's worth it. Very well done and interesting. I listened to it last year before a trip to Italy and it was great to give context to all of the old sites.

Thanks. Just dived into the podcast world now that I'm driving 4 hours back and forth to slopes. Mark Moran's WTF is fun, and always loved The Moth when I had a chance to hear it on the weekends, now I have it downloaded to my phone. Cool. Just yesterday heard a guy tell a story about how he lived right next door to the fugitive Whitey Bulger, was his apartment manager, and helped the FBI get him and the lady, all the while making a concert that night he thought he was going to miss. Cool.

I'm using the Castbox app on Android. So far, so good.

Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

So far LaBatard, though I listen live ESPN radio, and The Daily from the NYT. Looking for more, particuarly on current events, with a "center" view. Which I understand NYT probably isnt.
    "Can't you see..."

Hall of Fame
    listened to a lot of it last night
    better to watch
    A++

this was an EXCELLENT episode of Citations Needed https://soundcloud.com/citationsneed...issident-media

You are Not So Smart -- a podcasts on self delusions pairs nicely with podcasts about avy/backcountry travel.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/

https://wtfpod.libsyn.com/

WTF with Marc Maron Podcast