Snowbird and T-Ride in early Feb. Where to sleep in a slide-in?

Three of us are wandering about on a mountain collective trip last week of Jan / first week of Feb: Jackson -> SLC -> T-ride. With some touring in between if our legs can handle it. Got a real place in Jackson (shredder gal we know wants to drink bubbles in a hot tub after skiing all day for her 30th.) But otherwise we're planning on sleeping in the beauty in the middle.

Looking for suggestions (or offers) on where we might pull in to sleep for the night that is as close as possible to Snowbird (guessing Sandy?) and T-Ride. Obviously not stealthy with the dirt baggy pop-up, but we don't require facilities -- just a lack of harassment. Probably will spend most waking hours at the the hill, and apres-ing afterwords to dry out gear and talk about how rad we didn't get.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 12-07-2016 at 03:31 PM.

Anyone bump?

Spent Spring Break '07 in a Geo Prizm at the Walmart in Sandy. That should do.

Parking isn't enforced after 6PM in much of Telluride. I'd probably post up on some side street and be stealthy, but I do the van thing, Not sure what the chances of being hassled are with the truck bed camper. Probably fine if you roll up and go straight to sleep mode.

god...

does anybody else remember the epic 'heating truck bed' thread from back on the Powmag forums... (?)

That was a cool thread... tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

SLC campground or RV park maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Lds church house. Just keep booze hidden and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Lds church house. Just keep booze hidden and you'll be fine.
    Back parking lot of the LDS Church on 9400 where the Alta Patrol carpools from, good idea.

Also, doebedoe, check yer PMs

Thanks for the PM and responses yall. Sounds like SLC is gonna be a parking lot somewhere unless something else pops up. Unfortunately we won't be very stealthy with the pop-top. And we have a tendency to get rowdy although that might slow down after 5 or 6 days of skiing and getting smelly. Usually in CO we can find a campspot not too far from where we're at to get weird. Seems like the awesome access of SLC and the remoteness of T-ride makes that a little more difficult.

TR to follow -- feel free to keep posting beta though.

Town of T-ride does have snow plowing restrictions that alternate days/streets. If there's snow and you're on the wrong street that night, you may get woken up.
    I don't know about Mountain Village.

There are some places to pull over and stealth out down in Sawpit.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

In Telluride right now, but comfy in a hotel room. First thing I'd suggest is to google "Telluride Parking" to look at the official parking map of the town, and their policies. This appears to be a very mellow town in general, but pretty up tight when it comes to parking. They do say they don't enforce parking restrictions after 6pm though. Mountain Village has overnight parking in the gondola parking lot for $25/night. I don't see anywhere that you can officially park overnight for free, but you might be able to stealth it. Let us know how it works out.

PS, there is a hostel in Rico that charges $25/night.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Spent Spring Break '07 in a Geo Prizm at the Walmart in Sandy. That should do.
    This is what I would do... walmart corporately allows overnighting in their parking lots last I checked, just park in a not-busy part of the lot. I guess if you want to set up chairs and have beers outside the camper maybe not the best option, but it would be otherwise pretty failsafe I think.

Edit: and/or post in the Wasatch stoke thread, maybe someone will let you park in their driveway? I would but I'm in a condo building w/a parking permit nazi and I'm not close to the bird either.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    This is what I would do... walmart corporately allows overnighting in their parking lots last I checked, just park in a not-busy part of the lot. I guess if you want to set up chairs and have beers outside the camper maybe not the best option, but it would be otherwise pretty failsafe I think.

Edit: and/or post in the Wasatch stoke thread, maybe someone will let you park in their driveway? I would but I'm in a condo building w/a parking permit nazi and I'm not close to the bird either.
    My place is not particularly convenient to the bird, but you're welcome to park here for a night or two if you want. So long as you promise to not be too weird around the wife and kid. If you can find an equally-generous soul in Sandy, it'll save you 30 min of driving each way.

I would think rowdy days not coinciding with ski days but then you have to go back to civliization for that second day.

I live in Rico and work in Telluride. There's several lookout points between Rico and Telluride (lizard head pass, CO145) that i know people use as overnight car camping spots. Rico's 25 miles outside of Telluride. Nice and rugged! Natural hot springs, cheap dive bar... If you were just one or two people i would invite you to crash with me in my room but three would be a bit too crowded.

And honestly the Gondola parking isn't strict about car camping restrictions. The Mountain Village cops are usually busy with more important things. I have parked there many a night without paying and was never ticketed.
    Last edited by Purple Snail; 01-09-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    My place is not particularly convenient to the bird, but you're welcome to park here for a night or two if you want. So long as you promise to not be too weird around the wife and kid. If you can find an equally-generous soul in Sandy, it'll save you 30 min of driving each way.
    Thanks for the offer sirshreds. We probably want to minimize driving since we are going to have so much between the days. We're not that rowdy -- especially after tons of skiing. If you can make midweek turns at PowMo or Snowbird let us know and we'll give you a holler.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Snail View Post
    I live in Rico and work in Telluride. There's several lookout points between Rico and Telluride (lizard head pass, CO145) that i know people use as overnight car camping spots. Rico's 25 miles outside of Telluride. Nice and rugged! Natural hot springs, cheap dive bar... If you were just one or two people i would invite you to crash with me in my room but three would be a bit too crowded.

And honestly the Gondola parking isn't strict about car camping restrictions. The Mountain Village cops are usually busy with more important things. I have parked there many a night without paying and was never ticketed.
    Awesome beta -- thanks. A lookout/pullout near T-Ride is what we are looking for -- maybe drop me a google maps pin via PM in exchange for a brew or two? Rico sounds pretty dope. We have a cozy place to crash in the camper, but if you wanted to exchange a few beers at the local dive for a parking spot for the night in Rico I bet that could be arranged. Plus we could pick you mind about the mountain so we don't spend the first few hours just figuring it out.

j

I live in Rico Hotel, aka telski employee housing. Very chill place. About 15 people live here. Everyone works a lot. We have a parking lot. You are welcome to park here and hang out as long as you guys don't get super drunk or trip your faces off and make a scene. As for the lookout spots, they are easy to find. There's quite a few. I will be more than happy to give a few pointers for finding good runs.

Eammon still around?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Telluride used to have an RV lot but I'm not sure if it's still there, been a few years. Take a right at the round-a-bout in town then pull in to the smaller lot on your right before going over the bridge. Don't park in the second lot across the bridge, that's for the Shandoka apartments.
    It sucks to suck.

Eamonn still is the manager.

If you want hit up backcountry on Monarch Pass let me know. You can park free at the resort as well and tix are cheap.

Thanks for the beta all. Sounds like we've got a few options near T-Ride for camping. Probably at a trailhead near by since the pop-top slide in isn't exactly stealthy.

@whipski -- Doubt we'll have the legs for a day of touring at Monarch. But we've all got Loveland passes and will likely hit up a day of touring or the resort on the weekend to/from Taos. We'll get at you when we're headed that way.

I have a large backyard parking area I would let you use. I live Just off of I-80 in sugarhouse ~30 min from snowbird. Rent could be paid in beers and rides to the mountain. pm if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by shreddingGNAR View Post
    I have a large backyard parking area I would let you use. I live Just off of I-80 in sugarhouse ~30 min from snowbird. Rent could be paid in beers and rides to the mountain. pm if interested.
    this is a good offer.

the church parking lot is a bad idea, not likely to work out well.

Rad. PM incoming.

May need to take you up....but apparently my buddy has some old college fling who now lives in SLC. So it may be that I can park the camper at hers and have the camper to myself for a few days.