Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    "Just skiing along" = "icy mogul lawndarting?" Sounds like pilot error

I guess they could fall apart at any moment but as of now they've done everything I've asked of them, in any/every snow condition I've skied them in. So far I haven't had to deal with too many icy moguls.
    Bonehead move on my part re the F1. Just realized I messed up

Check that the black forward lean bar (see picture below) is so that the top of the tab is under the plastic of the boot. If you reassemble the walk mode and black forward lean bar without inserting the black bar under the boot plastic the black bar will not be supported causing too much force on the bolt holding the bar to the boot and potentially causing it to shear. That was user error on my part and one that was fixed by Scarpa CS coming through with spare parts.

Going to be a lot of I agree here

Just look at this article from 2013 (http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...oot-Flexes-431). Look at what's on the list and compare it now. Just think about how good the Maestrale was and that was like 2011-2?? And the Scarpa F1 is IMO almost as good downhill and lighter and better at uphill. And on the Dynafit side now you've got the TLT6 which is as stiff as the old Dynafit ZZero but so much better fitting and so much lighter. Anyone remember how TGR lost its collective keyboard masturbotory shit over the BD Factor?

Quote Originally Posted by trogdortheburninator View Post
    Clearly there is a point where heavy gear truly matters. Alpine racing, FWT, AK big mountain. There is also a point where light gear truly matters. Skimo racing, high-level ski mountaineering. Then there's everything else where it just comes down to ability, preference, and trade-offs. Imagine how crazy this discussion would have sounded 5-10 years ago. Instead of debating between a BD Factor or Dynafit ZZues that weighs 2 kg and walks like frankenstein, you now get 130 flex boots at the same weight (1400g) and walkabillity as an old style F1. Likewise, you can get a sub-kg boot that skis as well as the 1500 g boots of yesteryear, and walks like a tennis shoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    We definitely are spoiled now . My tr9's were like 4kg paul's of water at the end of each day and debatable if they were stiffer than a new hiking boot.
    I'm wondering how much that new atomic will weigh without the toe buckle and maybe a lighter/better intuition liner. It might weigh the same as my tlt6's
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
    Scarpa modified the F1 to work with Kingpins. Seemed odd to me at the time, but it is an example of the same thing - touring boots being used for side country.
    Kingpin compatible is the rear ledge of the F1 which now can fit into the Kingpin as its a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I like the Vulcan, but without the tongue. Probably about as stiff as your mountain explores or whatever.
    Same here. I also ski the Mercury without tongue and the TLT6P without tongue but have to have the tongue in the TLT5P. I think there are a lot of people who prefer softer boots in the backcountry. But also lots who want the bigger boots. Choice isn't a bad thing

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    We definitely are spoiled now . My tr9's were like 4kg paul's of water at the end of each day and debatable if they were stiffer than a new hiking boot.
    I'm wondering how much that new atomic will weigh without the toe buckle and maybe a lighter/better intuition liner. It might weigh the same as my tlt6's
    Quoted again. I'll measure the new Atomic Ultra XTD without toe buckle and lighter liner. I'm betting it drops about 100g which would make it mid 1300s

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Same here. I also ski the Mercury without tongue and the TLT6P without tongue but have to have the tongue in the TLT5P. I think there are a lot of people who prefer softer boots in the backcountry. But also lots who want the bigger boots. Choice isn't a bad thing
    I like having the option of the tongue in case a pre/post tour resort lap falls into the plan. I find the Vulcan with the tongue too stiff when touring but magically a little too soft in the resort. Funny how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Well, me and other people I know personally like softer, not necessarily soft, boots and this runs contrary to the usual TGR party line. Different strokes.
    For sho...different strokes and then you decide to go backhand;-) Some of my best days have been on a modified OG Dynafit DyNa. Way on one end of the spectrum but def not what I would, personally, want to spend all of my days touring on. Unless, I was walking 95% and skiing 5%.

Quote Originally Posted by foreal View Post
    Unless, I was walking 95% and skiing 5%.
    How is that not like any day touring?

When measured by time 95% walking/skinning + 5% skiing downhill is a pretty typical tour. 90% + 10% if conditions are ideal, e.g., firm fast skinning condiitons.

I think there is still a market for those 130 flex boots, it is for those who are traveling and don't want to/can't afford two pairs of boots but want to tour quite a few days but also ski hard in bounds.

It may not be a big portion of sales, but it is definitely there.

By walking I actually meant walking. U know in the spring with those metal spikey things on your feet? Often I don't clearly think through my posts before hitting the send button. Is this better - breaking down by time: 80% walking 15% skinning 5% skiing? If I'm "touring" a ~1600g boot suits my style better.

Ski what you like, how you like, shredders

Got to spend most of Saturday skiing the Procline Carbon Support with a bunch of demo skis. Conditions were wettish crud, some ice, some packed snow, some smooth spring-like snow. I was very impressed by how they skied. I thought they skied as well if not better than my TLT5Ps, which have a booster, power wrap plugs and sometimes a Vulcan tongue, though I think that's largely due to the stupid flex zone. Tried to rivet that out, but still feels mushy in the lower.

Anyway, the forward lean was a bit much, but otherwise I really liked them in those conditions. Flex didn't feel harsh compared to Vulcan/TLT5p. Fit was similar to the Dynafits - was able to ski mostly comfortably with demo liners that didn't have footbeds. Sure, you have to keep your form and speed more in check, but I had a blast skiing them. Cuff is nice and high, which I like a lot. I didn't want to like them, but did. Only drove mild skis with them: 177 Meteorite, 175 Helio, 172 FINDr 102, which I'm sure helps.

Looking at the Fischer Travers, but unsure on sizing since I can't try them on anywhere near me. I fit 26.5 in the Backland and 27.5 in the TLT6 (but still quite tight across the forefoot). Which way should I go on the Travers?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    TLT6
    CL liner gave me just the right amount of extra width. My TLT5s are punched but a punch was not necessary with my TLT6/CL. YMMV of course. I like the CL liner. Simple, less hot for spring/summer tours and tour great. Intuition low volume liners don't work for me.

I'm looking to switch to less of a radicool boot here pretty soon, any recs on how F1's fit compared to Mercuries? Nobody in the area carries a pair I can try on, unfortunately. I fit into my Mercuries without ever needing to mold the liner, and TLT6's also fit my foot really well--I haven't tried the TLT7, but from what I've read, I don't think I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma View Post
    I'm looking to switch to less of a radicool boot here pretty soon, any recs on how F1's fit compared to Mercuries? Nobody in the area carries a pair I can try on, unfortunately. I fit into my Mercuries without ever needing to mold the liner, and TLT6's also fit my foot really well--I haven't tried the TLT7, but from what I've read, I don't think I need to.
    F1's do not fit like TLT6's. F1's are pretty good for me out of the box. TLT6's would be painful without major work.

Aenigma look at F1 review I posted in its own thread. I fit F1 best compared to Mercury and TLT6 which required fair amount of liner cooks. F1 fit out of box best with custom footbeds

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    CL liner gave me just the right amount of extra width. My TLT5s are punched but a punch was not necessary with my TLT6/CL. YMMV of course. I like the CL liner. Simple, less hot for spring/summer tours and tour great. Intuition low volume liners don't work for me.
    TLT6 (Green) with CL liner still didn't give me enough width. A Sidas Central High Slim Liner has worked out really well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Currently F1s are the only fixed heel boots I own. When I'm not on free heel gear I use them for everything including inbounds crush, touring, "sidecountry" (whatever that is), backcountry, etc. I'm skiing them with 181cm Lib Tech Wreckcreate 115s.

Probably have a third of my season so about 20 days on them so far. No complaints except they're a bit colder than my TX-Comps. I realize they may not be for everyone but for me - so far so good!
    how do you like the wreckreates? thinking about getting some 90s for east coast... how do they handle at high speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    how do you like the wreckreates? thinking about getting some 90s for east coast... how do they handle at high speeds?
    They're fun! I've skied the Wreckcreate 115s in a 181 and the W110 in a 191. I much prefer the 181s and would definitely prefer the W110 in a 181 as well. They don't have a super huge amount of tip/tail rocker and are much better in wide open spaces going fast. The 181s are much more nimble.

I prefer the UFO 115 to both though. Much more playful and fun for this west coast skier.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Anybody ever fondled the Alien RS that can say anything about fit or know the BSL for size 27

BSL is 294 in a 27. Feel a bit shorter and narrower than 27 F1.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    Looking at the Fischer Travers, but unsure on sizing since I can't try them on anywhere near me. I fit 26.5 in the Backland and 27.5 in the TLT6 (but still quite tight across the forefoot). Which way should I go on the Travers?
    Near me?

How about near the U.S.? My list is the Travers, X-Alp/Procline, TLT7, and Backland Carbon. Really like the Travers, but only seeing them online. I travel a lot, anybody see these in shops?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Ooh. That means I could maybe swap between 26 Vulcans and 27 Alien RS with race heels. Very interesting.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Thanks. Narrower where/how? Any idea how punchable they might be? Punching F1's was tricky for me because adding width took away some height that I needed, even after removing boot boards.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Thanks. Narrower where/how? Any idea how punchable they might be? Punching F1's was tricky for me because adding width took away some height that I needed, even after removing boot boards.
    Narrower in width at midfoot. I punched mine for length a couple weeks ago, and they seemed to take pretty well. This made the forefoot a bit narrower yet, but that isnt a problem for my foot.

I'm still going back and forth between F1 and Spectre for ski mountaineering! Great discussion in this thread so far!