Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Truck snow tires

Searching yielded variable results so:

My work truck (GMC 1500 4x4) has terrible non snowflake all seasons on it and it struggles to corner and brake in our mid winter conditions, my Element with snows runs laps around it. The all seasons are brand new, and it has stupid rims 285/45/22 so its hard to find a legit (Read BFG AT, Dynapro etc) for it.

What are folks running on their trucks this size in the winter where you're driving on snow and ice the majority of the time? Looks like I can get Blizzaks for it....for the price of a sled.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ruck-Tire-Time

Put smaller rims on it while you're at it. You don't need no 22" rims on a truck.

I recently put on Falken AT3Ws. Thus far they are killing it the snow and have good highway manners. Michilen LTS M/S is a popular non-snow rated but still decent tire that may be found in your size and is very popular on trucks.

Get a second set of rims in a more normal size (17s?) and get Duratracs put on them.

/end thread

It's a wrapped work truck and they like it to look flashy hence the rims. Selling them on buying some smaller wheels seems like the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Get a second set of rims in a more normal size (17s?) and get Duratracs put on them.

/end thread
    this

22" rims on a truck just ain't right. Energy drink company?

Pretty easy to grab some take-off 18" stock rims on Ebay for cheap. Then get any decent tire you like.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    22" rims on a truck just ain't right. Energy drink company?

Pretty easy to grab some take-off 18" stock rims on Ebay for cheap. Then get any decent tire you like.
    I was thinking drug dealer.

This is a work vehicle? Who's paying for the new tires/wheels?

Ha, you wouldn't believe the category...Work is paying for the tires/rims hence why I don't particularly care about the price, I just want great snow performance.

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 791
Size:  1,022.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Ha, you wouldn't believe the category...Work is paying for the tires/rims hence why I don't particularly care about the price, I just want great snow performance.
    Get some nokian hakka 8 with studs on 16 or 17 rims. If its not your money and they will be swapped when you want, no need to fuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Get some nokian hakka 8 with studs on 16 or 17 rims. If its not your money and they will be swapped when you want, no need to fuck around.
    Agree, if you can get the right size Nokian Hakkas on your car, there really isn't need to look any further. Best winter tires I have ever been on.

It would be nice if Nokian would produce a Hakkapeliitta 8 in a 255/70R18 with a 116 LR. I emailed them to request the size. I'd be in for 2 sets.

These days pretty much everything in the 1/2 ton / full size suv market comes with 18" wheels. Sure, you can get some 17" wheels but it's easy to get 18" take-offs for cheap.

Yeah, they offer a 275/65R18 but it's just too wide for vehicles under 7,000lbs.

I just put the new 10plly Nokian Hakka LT's on my Titan XD. They are even better than the last version. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

They offer them in these sizes:
    LT275/65R18 123/120 Q
    up to 100 mph, max load 3420 lb
    List dealers
    LT275/70R18 125/122 Q
    up to 100 mph, max load 3640 lb

yup if cost is no object 10ply studded haks, I've had em on my Ranger for the last 5 seasons and I been on studded Haks since 2001
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yup if cost is no object 10ply studded haks, I've had em on my Ranger for the last 5 seasons and I been on studded Haks since 2001
    I was actually able to special order them in for $500 less then the duratacks that discount tire had in stock. And the Nokians are 10x the snow tire, so its worth shopping around for some quotes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    I just put the new 10plly Nokian Hakka LT's on my Titan XD. They are even better than the last version. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
    I've been lusting after those, just not sure the tread compound will be soft enough for a 6,000lb truck.

Flashy trucks look really dumb in the ditch.

Ditch the dubs and get a real truck wheel and tire combo.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Bumping this up. This was heavily discussed in the Trucks thread but I have no idea what page anymore.

There were reccos in there for my Tundras size 285/70r17. The BFG ATs even in the winter compound suck when its cold cold. Like Single digits and below.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Bumping this up. This was heavily discussed in the Trucks thread but I have no idea what page anymore.

There were reccos in there for my Tundras size 285/70r17. The BFG ATs even in the winter compound suck when its cold cold. Like Single digits and below.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/....php?p=6687632

I'd meet ya in the middle lands if you're interested.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Damn dude PM incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Holy shnikeys, get on that.

I run 20” General Arctic tires on my Tundra.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Is this a good place to ask about tpms sensors when changing from summer to winter tires and vice versa? I picked up some used steel wheels for cheap so I don't have to pay the tire shop to mount/remount 2x a year (they want $140 for a change over now). Do you ignore the light for the winter? Did you buy new sensors for the winter set, and if so, how do you manage the reprogram?

Has anyone seen the Nokkian Hakka LT3 in stock this fall? Seems to be on backorder everywhere I've looked. 285/75 R16 specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Is this a good place to ask about tpms sensors when changing from summer to winter tires and vice versa? I picked up some used steel wheels for cheap so I don't have to pay the tire shop to mount/remount 2x a year (they want $140 for a change over now). Do you ignore the light for the winter? Did you buy new sensors for the winter set, and if so, how do you manage the reprogram?
    I've done it both ways.

The reprogram depends on the vehicle. On my Bolt it was a $50 tool and it was super easy to do, took 2min. On my wife's Forester it's a $300 tool so we just ignore the light. Google yours and see if buying the reprogram tool makes sense or not.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Different cars act differently if no TPMS are present.

- Without TPMS in the winters 2011 manual Honda Fit threw a dash light, and it wouldn’t let you turn off traction/stability control. Not much fun, and could get bogged down.

- 2013 Toyota Sienna throws a dash light without TPMS, but no other side effects.

-2018 Mazda CX-3 doesn’t even throw a dash light without TPMS.

If you do get TPMS you’ll probably need the shop to re-link them to the vehicle every time wheels are swapped. I think you can buy the tool yourself but if I recall correctly the price was prohibitive.

I actually have TPMS in the Sienna winters, but I swap wheels myself and would rather live with the dash light than take it to the shop twice a year.