Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Update - Visited genius bar this morning. Ran diagnostics - battery appeared good and no apparent drop off in power on Sunday when I skied. Tech said it did not look like the battery powered down. Said it could be an issue with the screen. If my phone was not so far out of warranty, he said he would just replace it (so if you are having this problem try to get a replacement). He said it has to get really cold for the phones to power down and a message would come up signifying this, the same way messages come up when the phone is getting too hot - I left my phone on a car dash one day in the sun for a short time and have seen this message. If the phone is in a pocket, however, no way to see the message. We agreed to try to fix the problem for my phone by replacing the battery for $79. Battery will be in store in 1-3 days. If replaced by this weekend, I can then take it skiing on Saturday, and if the same problem occurs they will try to fix the screen with the assumption that is the issue for the cost of $129, but they will deduct the $79 battery charge. If that does not work, I will press for a new phone. I will report back with future developments.

$79 for a phone battery? Wow I just purchased 2 new Samsung Galaxy batteries for $11 with free shipping.

^ I thought the same thing, except after a year and a half my galaxy s5 would go through two fully charged batteries in a day. my iPhone 7 has about 40% battery left at the end most days.

Not to say I'm crazy about iPhones, but after switching to Galaxy I couldn't wait to go back to Apple

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    Use foot warmers with the adhesive sticker on them. Put them both on the back of the phone away from the camera lens. Done.
    I've seen this more and more. I prefer to turn mine off, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    ^ I thought the same thing, except after a year and a half my galaxy s5 would go through two fully charged batteries in a day. my iPhone 7 has about 40% battery left at the end most days.

Not to say I'm crazy about iPhones, but after switching to Galaxy I couldn't wait to go back to Apple
    Sounds like you had some app or issue outside the norm. Unless I talk for a really long time or using a bunch of power draining things like the flashlight app, I get a good 18 hours with my new battery before it starts beeping that it is 15 percent or less.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    having the same issue. worked fine last year in cold and this year loses power quickly or shuts down when it is showing 30-40%. Happens in milder temps too ~40-50, but worse when colder.
    This happened with my iPhone 4. First it started dying when temps in 20s. Die Temps kept increasing until in would die at 55f. Replaced battery and life was good - until I dropped it and broke the screen.

My iPhone 6 quit on me recently, but it was damn cold and phone was in an exterior pocket. Ended up taking phone out of Otter Box case to warm up and I was back in business. Those cases are not good insulators

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    I've seen this more and more. I prefer to turn mine off, though...
    Use the phone primarily to operate music/spotify while running/skiing.
    edit: I also use the phone to show my blood glucose through a dexcom g5 app as I like to think im core. Used to last a day + and now dies easy, so probably just need a battery replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    This happened with my iPhone 4. First it started dying when temps in 20s. Die Temps kept increasing until in would die at 55f. Replaced battery and life was good - until I dropped it and broke the screen.

My iPhone 6 quit on me recently, but it was damn cold and phone was in an exterior pocket. Ended up taking phone out of Otter Box case to warm up and I was back in business. Those cases are not good insulators
    The case mention makes some sense. I keep my phone in the chest bib pocket which is usually warm unless I take the phone out for a check, but I do have a phone case which may prevent it from getting warm. Likely just spring for a battery replacement.
    Last edited by klauss; 12-08-2016 at 01:10 AM.

Anybody who isn't putting their phone in a layer directly next to their skin and is complaining about battery life, is doing it wrong.

My Samsung goes all day with no battery issues, so if you are going through two, something is wrong. Hell, mine will last through a five day hut trip with a little battery management. Put it in airplane mode when out touring, or better yet off, but airplane mode works wonders for minimal battery kill, quick to switch back for texts or calls, etc.

I have had mine power down in really cold temps if in an outside pocket, but never if keep under a mid layer. Of course with Samsung you run the risk of a fire in you base layer, but at least you will be warm

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    till the Samsung explodes on your crotch
    That is just a single Samsung model- Note 7 and if your IPhone is next to the Samsung, then the heat of the Note 7 should be enough to keep it warm in any outer pocket and solves the problem just like a toe warmer would too.

i've got a beater 5 that dies constantly at 40-70% when cold. I do the baselayer trick, have a special neoprene sleeve, nothing really works.

Anyone used the Mophie battery pack cases? I'm wondering if they add a little more heat/insulation, on top of the ability to "charge" your phone from the battery add-on - http://www.mophie.com/shop/juice-pack-air-iphone-5

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    Anyone used the Mophie battery pack cases? I'm wondering if they add a little more heat/insulation, on top of the ability to "charge" your phone from the battery add-on - http://www.mophie.com/shop/juice-pack-air-iphone-5
    This. I've got mine with a battery case in an inside pocket. When I take it out I activate charging which also creates heat. Once done, I try to remember to deactivate charging before replacing in the pocket. Repeat as needed. A bit of a hassle but works well.

I thought about going with a Mophie battery/case, until I found what the new batteries were for my phone. I used a few of the cheap 2600 mAh battery boosters too if I had a day of heavy use before the battery replacement. If I am out on a long period without access to electric (backpacking, etc.) then I take those along and a second battery charged to insert if needed. Any of the booster packs plugged in should generate some heat also.

I notice it happens about every 2 years. Oh just buy a new phone, I get it apple.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Samsung phone, but I keep mine in a magpul case, in a ziplock snack bag (you can use the touch screen through the bag), in a chest pocket on my long underwear layer. Never gets cold.
    This.

7edge in the thinnest OtterBox case, in a ziplock, interior/baselayer pocket, plus a small dessicant pack in the ziplock to absorb any condensation.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

FIXED!

Update: With replaced battery, skied at Crystal all day Saturday in the 20s with phone in same exterior shell pocket with same leather case and phone worked perfectly fine. Took it out for some photos, texts, no problems. The issue with it powering down was a defective battery - even though the tech at the not-so genius bar told me the battery was working fine.

I'm glad I got it fixed because fastening toe warmers to the phone, holding it next to my skin where I would have to unzip layers to get to the phone, etc., all seemed lame alternatives to a phone that worked without those potential fixes. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I'm not happy about the $80 charge to replace the battery. I really think Apple's battery problems are much bigger than the limited recall the company has done with the 6s. I think the issue people are having with their iphones dying in the cold are a symptom of a defective battery, it's just not as defective as the batteries in the 6s that essentially power down at all temps.

If you have an iphone under warranty and it powers down in the cold - go get it fixed now because it is not working as it should.

I'm glad I saw this. I have had this issue a couple times recently with my iphone 6s (not related to cold). I didn't know there was a battery replacement program. Mine does qualify for a free replacement.

I also forked over $79 for a new iphone battery and it now works as expected. Their little diagnostic test showed my battery in the fail zone and said it was only at 65% when it should be in the high 80s for its age and charge cycle count. I think it performed closer to 25% of what a new battery provides though. Phone is a couple months shy of 2 years...

Quote Originally Posted by hikesalot View Post
    I'm glad I saw this. I have had this issue a couple times recently with my iphone 6s (not related to cold). I didn't know there was a battery replacement program. Mine does qualify for a free replacement.
    Yes, my 6s has done the dying thing. And yes, the serial number check says it is included in the recall.
    Thanks for the info. Now to get it replaced.

Just use nature's warming oven, keeps everything a balmy 98.6 degrees.

My battery diagnostic test was in the green zone but there was obviously some defect revealed by the cold temperatures

Just another reason to tell Apple to fuck off. $80 to replace a battery is fucked. Samsung may blow up airplanes, but at least the batteries are cheap and easy to swap. I just carry a chrged extra on hut trips on off the grid travels. Worked fine on Kilimanjaro.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Solutions to Iphone Dying From Low Temperature?

Andrew's iphone battery sucks too. Mine is the 6 and works fine. Put it in my outside pants pocket and works fine/battery works as expected.
    His is the 6s and he's fairly careful with it but still dies constantly. He got another under the insurance then added the mophie extra battery but it's still weak sauce and dies so much quicker than mine does.
    We're going back to the old days of walkie talkies
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Yes, my 6s has done the dying thing. And yes, the serial number check says it is included in the recall.
    Thanks for the info. Now to get it replaced.
    A new phone is in the mail, after 45 minutes on the phone with Apple. This one passed the diagnostics, but I have lost faith with this machine now.
    Thanks again for the info.

They said that taking it to the Apple Store is a bad idea right now as they have a two week back order on batteries at the stores.
    And I am not sending mine in to them for a two week repair window on the battery swap.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    A new phone is in the mail, after 45 minutes on the phone with Apple. This one passed the diagnostics, but I have lost faith with this machine now.
    Thanks again for the info.

They said that taking it to the Apple Store is a bad idea right now as they have a two week back order on batteries at the stores.
    And I am not sending mine in to them for a two week repair window on the battery swap.
    So how did that go? Your phone passed the test so did u have to push for a new phone? Or just an easy request? I need advice for when i call.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Come for the poo-slinging, Save a fortune on a plumber.