Thread: Cuba?

Cuba?

Looks pretty sweet. Fly guide recs? Time of year? Anything else we should see/do? Probably just going to be me and my lady for a week. Hopefully we'll get down there before Trump fucks this up.

Doesn't all guiding eventually run through Avalon? Everyone says go now as the price is increasing 20% a year. Areas the size of the Keys limited to 4 boats a day.

I have a buddy that's been going thru the Bahamas for years. He says the bass fishing is off the hook.

Never been but I heard you need to book way in advance to get in with a guide there. That's not at all my style, I usually pull the trigger on trips last minute but hopefully I heard wrong?

Anybody been with poon guide or diy advice? Heading down late March early April for five days with the missus and feel the need to look for the king

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Anybody been with poon guide or diy advice? Heading down late March early April for five days with the missus and feel the need to look for the king

Been once on a super under the table kind of way. I think it would be super tough to DIY, let me ask my keys buddies if they know of a guide without having to go through Avalon.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Thanks man. Would be nice to intersperse a little fishing amongst the compulsory cooking and mojito classes, NTTIAWWT

Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Brett at Vail Valley Anglers in Avon CO was there I think with Avalon....good guy to talk to though I haven't discussed the trip with him FYI

Bumpity bump.....Anyone been recently??

My local shop runs a couple of hosted trips a year, looks pretty sweet!! Ive already got some work peeps interested in going, potentially 3 couples total. Trip is to Caya Romano (formerly Caya Cruz). Fishing with Avalon and staying at the hotel/resort across the street from the boat marina. 6 days in October. this would be our first flats trip.

Any thoughts on the fishing, time of year, ect. From what I gather, barring a late hurricane, weather can be nice that time of year. Early season, so maybe less migratory fish? Our exceptions are pretty tempered, just want to check out the skiff/flats jam, have a good time, and maybe get some shots at fish.

Quote Originally Posted by jpcm View Post
    Bumpity bump.....Anyone been recently??

My local shop runs a couple of hosted trips a year, looks pretty sweet!! Ive already got some work peeps interested in going, potentially 3 couples total. Trip is to Caya Romano (formerly Caya Cruz). Fishing with Avalon and staying at the hotel/resort across the street from the boat marina. 6 days in October. this would be our first flats trip.

Any thoughts on the fishing, time of year, ect. From what I gather, barring a late hurricane, weather can be nice that time of year. Early season, so maybe less migratory fish? Our exceptions are pretty tempered, just want to check out the skiff/flats jam, have a good time, and maybe get some shots at fish.
    Sounds awesome and going with the guides that have the monopoly will help. I went in March with wife and didn't bother with fishing. It was fun anyway. But I didn't see anything to suggest I'd be able to DIY

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Do it.

I fished out of that "marina" for 6 days in June 2019 while those hotels were being built and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Avalon has exclusive rights to that entire marine park and it's maybe the coolest place I've ever been. You could catch 100 bonefish in a day if you want, but it's mostly about permit. I had shots every day and eventually found a suicidal one. Got some cudas, extra large mutton snappers, and a big jack. Hardly any tarpon around, which was weird. Apparently the best tarpon fishing is on the south coast.

The food was terrible and the poverty is a bit shocking, but the guides were great and the fishing was awesome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-12-12 at 1.24.46 PM.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	402.0 KB 
ID:	479228

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-12-12 at 1.23.29 PM.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	479229

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-12-12 at 1.23.50 PM.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	476.9 KB 
ID:	479230

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-12-12 at 1.24.08 PM.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	261.0 KB 
ID:	479231

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-12-12 at 1.24.22 PM.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	437.7 KB 
ID:	479232

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-12-12 at 1.24.35 PM.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	365.9 KB 
ID:	479233

Here's a video. I'm sure it's cringy and poorly made, but it has a big barracuda and my permit.

Sweet shots Roos, figured you’ve been there! I think I’d be good trading the shitty food/mediocre hotel for high probability fishing and solitude. But need to make sure that floats with the rest of this crew.

The whole marine wildlife refuge, no commercial fishing, max 20 anglers, remote aspect of the zone sounds amazing.

It’s interesting about the tarpon. I’ve been reading the same thing. Sounds like they migrate through in the spring and there are a few spots they can try and get them year round but its not a common occurrence. But lots of shots at bones and some permit looks sounds money. Same with catching all the other speciesÂ….that barracuda looks bad ass!

The Mrs just clicked on the double haul and I think with a bunch more practice this summer she could be throwing a big rod pretty well.. She’s not going to care what fish we’re going after. Just seeing shit regularly and getting to throw to it will keep her engaged and stoked.

Hopefully we can pull it off.
    Last edited by jpcm; 12-13-2023 at 09:17 PM.

Hey Roos; what rod, line weight, line, reel, backing, how much backing, length of leader, pound test, tippet, and flies were you using?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Was that Jose, JosB, JosC, etc? Hudge.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Hey Roos; what rod, line weight, line, reel, backing, how much backing, length of leader, pound test, tippet, and flies were you using?
    I took two 12s, two 10s, and two 8s, mostly Helioses that I borrowed from Orvis. Floaters and sinkers with backup lines for everything. Can't remember what reels. Backing: all of it. Leaders: no clue. Flies: shrimp, crab, baitfish. Alflexo crabs and Avalon flies are staples.
    The guides don't have shit for tackle. That's all on you. I left them with a bunch of leaders and stuff. And sunglasses. And a bluetooth speaker, that was a hit.