My knee is telling me not to run

I just started running again at the beginning of last week (Took the winter off and then when the spring came I ran for a week only to get sick and then ran for two weeks only to get sick again). During my first run last week my knee started hurting on the outer side. A fairly sharp pain, but not localized, and not very high in intensity. It didn't affect my range of motion or stability, it was just uncomfortable, not enough to quit running. Nothing happened, I didn't change directions, slip, fall. It was chilly and damp though. One thought though is the stress placed on it from running on the road (which has a significant crown). I didn't have problems with the previous runs, but in years past I've always started my running season on trails, which aren't really flat though either.

I ran the next day with the same pain. I took the next day off. Spent the next day on the rowing machine. The day after that I ran, this time somewhere different where the roads weren't crowned. I had no problem until I started going downhill, in which the pain returned. Then I went hiking the next day and I experienced the pain on downhills. I took the next day off, and the following I day I went out for a run and had to quit almost as soon as I started (this was all on flat ground). The pain wasn't so bad I had to stop, but I wanted to because I was concerned.

This is really aggravating because my winter and spring has been plagued with sickness and injury. Everytime I get a week or two of good workouts in, I get sick or hurt. I really need to get in shape, but I don't want to worsen the injury and have my summer shot. Any idea what's going on? What to do? ...and what I can do to at least get a cardio workout in the meantime?

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    My knee is saying the same thing.
    My jeans OTOH are telling me to get moving.

Buy a road bike, don't look back.

In all seriousness, I think running is a great sport and super satisfying. I also think it's one of the best (and cheapest) workouts around . . . but there's certainly a price to pay. I would recommend making sure you're doing short runs until your body is used to the pounding and slowly work up mileage (maybe you're doing this).

I defer to Vin, etc. to tell you what the problem is . . .

Tight IT band?

Vin?

Ty has it I think, Sounds like a tight IT band to me.

Any clicking/popping sensation on the outside of the knee?
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

My wife and I run A LOT, and I have found that stretching a lot after anything reduces aches and pains, not only in muscles but Ligaments and tendons as well. The shoes you wear also have a lot to do with how sore you get. Most runners put 500 miles ( around six months for more recreational runners) on shoes and then get new ones. A good running store will be able to get you in the right shoes, and they make a big difference. And that is my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Laps
    My wife and I run A LOT, and I have found that stretching a lot after anything reduces aches and pains, not only in muscles but Ligaments and tendons as well. The shoes you wear also have a lot to do with how sore you get. Most runners put 500 miles ( around six months for more recreational runners) on shoes and then get new ones. A good running store will be able to get you in the right shoes, and they make a big difference. And that is my two cents.
    Hah, I actually just had running shoes professionally fitted for the first time last fall. I doubt if I've put much more than 100 miles on them.

Vin, I don't have a clicking or popping sensation. Assuming it's just tight, is there a necessary treatment? I was going to do some riding in a low gear for a while and see if that's a problem.

I could just be getting back into running after a winter off. How many miles, and is it both knees? I ain't no expert, but when I started to get into running, I would have the same problem, lots of aches in my knees and hips. Now, I run around 25-35 miles a week and only have problems when my shoes are worn out or I am not stretching enough.
    Knee problems are definitely scary, though.

Quote Originally Posted by shmerham
    Hah, I actually just had running shoes professionally fitted for the first time last fall. I doubt if I've put much more than 100 miles on them.

Vin, I don't have a clicking or popping sensation. Assuming it's just tight, is there a necessary treatment? I was going to do some riding in a low gear for a while and see if that's a problem.

Just streching and maybe some ice treatments after running.

Make sure ot stretch the quads, hams and ITB and might as well stretch the calves while you are at it.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

This is absolutely ITB syndrome. The give-away is that it is brought on rapidly by downhill running. I've had this. Twice. Once in each leg. A month apart. Not fun.

This shit will go away over time, but that can take as long as a couple or more months. Fuck that. There are certain stretches that you can do to loosen the ITB. Further- massage from a REAL sports massage therapist will help as well. No downhills for the time being.

As far as books go, The Lore of Running, by Tim Noakes (He's a sports physiologist at the Univ. of Cape town, a marathon+ runner and a super nice guy) is outstanding and points out a few good stretches.

Get well soon. I'll PM you my consultation bill.

iVIVA!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva
    As far as books go, The Lore of Running, by Tim Noakes (He's a sports physiologist at the Univ. of Cape town, a marathon+ runner and a super nice guy) is outstanding and points out a few good stretches.
    Excellent Book.
    Elvis has left the building