Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Double Fall Line kicks ass! Thanks for the advice!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Resurrecting an old thread.. as I have been using the Concourse and it is killing me. You cannot pack it even remotely close to full without it going over the 50 pound limit..and that's only 1 pair of skis, boots, helmet and some clothes.

Is the Fall Line still the sweet spot as far as bags go for lightness while still having some padding?

Quote Originally Posted by shredthenektar View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread.. as I have been using the Concourse and it is killing me. You cannot pack it even remotely close to full without it going over the 50 pound limit..and that's only 1 pair of skis, boots, helmet and some clothes.

Is the Fall Line still the sweet spot as far as bags go for lightness while still having some padding?
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    yes
    Can double confirm. I just got one and you can pack it with extra gear and still come in at 50 lbs.

I've used both the fall line and Douchebag. The Douchebag has a significantly better design in my opinion, and I much prefer it.... but it's got terrible durability. We thrashed two DBs on their very first flight. They cost waaaaaaaay too much to not also be bomber. That said, if they could somehow manage to make it not be a steaming pile of shit it would be the best ski bag ever.

Once duct tape and spare parts aren't enough to keep the DB in service I'll be going back to fall line/concourse/racer style bags.

Fall line is a bit heavier but really splitting hairs. DB sinngle is really light but can't hold over 110 waist ski
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    The Douchebag has a significantly better design in my opinion, and I much prefer it.
    Why do you think that? Not my experience at all.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I really like how small it rolls up... this is nice both in my basement and random hotel rooms.

My wife's skis aren't long enough to fill most bags, so you end up with a saggy tip when trying to roll the bag; This means the bag drags on the ground and I end up having to deal with it. When the DB is rolled down to the correct length she can easily wrangle her own skis.

I like the daisy-chain loops. I can strap my other bags on top on the wheel end and leverage makes for pretty easy transport. We navigated Tokyo's subway system with this setup, and that is no small feat.

I really like everything about them other than the fact that they cost a fortune yet didn't hold up. They were in worse shape after the first trip than the old bags they were replacing!

DB is way convenient and features are sweet. On trips space is an issue in hotel rooms for sure.

Price was main issue for me but I got one on sale. Strap system is cool and I have no issues so far with durability including three trips through bus, car plane just no train
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    My wife's skis aren't long enough to fill most bags, so you end up with a saggy tip when trying to roll the bag; This means the bag drags on the ground and I end up having to deal with it. When the DB is rolled down to the correct length she can easily wrangle her own skis.
    My problem with the DB design is that my wife's skis aren't long enough to fill the bag, but the extra space is often needed (clothes, non-skiing boots, glacier gear, climbing gear, etc). With the DB, the obvious place to put these things is near the wheels, right where the zipper opens. But then the skis get pushed towards the tip, and don't provide enough structural support for the area near the wheels, so it ends up dragging on the ground. Which means the bag drags on the ground.

I haven't had that issue with the Fall Line double. The bag's internal structure (which makes it impossible to roll up), seems to provide enough support to keep the bag from dragging, even the 190 cm with shorter skis in it, especially if you stagger the poles and such.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I just bought the High Sierra --wheeled double adjustable--that the OP said he couldn't find--from ebags. 10#, fairly padded, so not the lightest. But when I travel to ski it's with my son, who a) works out, and b) as military has a 65# per bag weight limit and a four bag limit, so we don't have the same concerns you civilian losers have. ( And if he ever has to go to war--unlikely since he's a doc--the bag should hold a couple of rocket launchers nicely.)

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    My problem with the DB design is that my wife's skis aren't long enough to fill the bag, but the extra space is often needed (clothes, non-skiing boots, glacier gear, climbing gear, etc). With the DB, the obvious place to put these things is near the wheels, right where the zipper opens. But then the skis get pushed towards the tip, and don't provide enough structural support for the area near the wheels, so it ends up dragging on the ground. Which means the bag drags on the ground.

I haven't had that issue with the Fall Line double. The bag's internal structure (which makes it impossible to roll up), seems to provide enough support to keep the bag from dragging, even the 190 cm with shorter skis in it, especially if you stagger the poles and such.
    That gives me hope for when I switch back.

I am in agreement that the DB would be a terrible design to use how you describe. I've always had the skis run all the way to the wheels to provide structure.

It might be worth noting that I typically travel with a big duffel in addition to whatever ski bag, so I don't have to shove all that much junk in with the skis. I'll throw some stuff sacks of clothing in as padding, but not load it to the gills.

I've put 8 international trips on my Double Concourse. That's a lot of transfers from Idaho with barely a scratch on the bag.
    I'll buy the same again if I need one.

Southwest tore a couple of holes in my Dakine Concourse, so it's not indestructible. OTOH, they gave me $100 in compensation, and I kept the bag - and patched it - so that's OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

fall line double has been good to me.

just got 2 pairs of skis, with poles, jacket and pants, base and mid layers, gloves, and a heavy sweatshirt to come in at 49lbs on my last trip

the only time it's been damaged was due to some TSA man handling on its maiden voyage where one of the brakes poked through, easy patch job.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post

DB has a pretty good video of how to pack their bag with a single pair of skis and a ton of gear. When packing that way, I throw an extra bit of rag or towel or two to keep binding grease off things - but basically that things packs into a totally stiff wheeled system. The weak point is the durability....