Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Light wheeled double ski bag?

Been using an old High Sierra which was nice and cheap. It has made it through 8 trips and is pretty beat up. I think it might make it to 10. We want a second bag so we each can bring 2 pairs of skis to Whistler over New Years:

Need a bag that:
    LIGHT (don't need much padding)
    Wheels
    Fits a 186 + 192 and has room to cram in gear
    Cheap and/or Durable

The High Sierra did that at <8lbs. Can't seem to find that model anymore

Our Packing style:
    2 pairs of skis (usually 192 L138 or 190 W112 and either a 186 EHP or 178 W112)
    Wrap the skins/clothes around the tips/tails/bindings
    Cram in shovel, crampons, probe, poles, harness, and more gear/clothes to the weight limit.

Two pairs of boots+helmets go in the the other checked bag. I find that is a far better use of weight limits, results in far fewer bags, and is easier to move around with than the "one ski bag + one boot/helmet bag" counted as one luggage piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

The Dakine Fall Like Double is what you want. Smaller and lighter than the Concourse. The 190 fits my 196 Protests and 192 GPOs together.

You can pack it with two pairs of skis, poles, gear, etc as you describe fine. With another bag for boots and helmets.

But... I normally pack it with one pair of skis laid flat side by side... Then I can fit my helment, boots, and all my stuff for a long weekend and only have to deal with one bag.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

The Douchebag is a super clever design. Been using it for a few years. By far the lightest I've used. The roll-top thing allows the skis to make it structurally stable - so wheeling it is easy. Durability is not really there - but repair tape and seam grip can make up for that. That or lots of tip detuning The other issue is that the adjustable top roll-up length tightening thing can a) come off on its own if you are not careful about cinching it, or b) looks like an obvious access point to TSA and they can muck it up. So I velcro strap or zip-tie it so it can't wander off even if it is detached. And I leave a bright zipper pull on zipper (and do not leave it hidden below the velcro flap). Yes, I nerd out on luggage paranoia....

At 8 lbs I think the Dakine Fall Line double ski bag is really hard to beat...:

http://www.dakine.com/sport/snow/ski...m-ski-bag.html

I happen to have a Dakine Concourse Double that is new with tags, although I bought it 3 or 4 years ago, that I'm willing to let go.

One thing we are able to do with our current bag is shove it from the trunk to the dash of a economy rental car, or, pack it away really small. The tip to the bag is meant to be collapsable and minimally padded.

Will the Concourse or Fall Line do that?

Will the Fall Line 190 fit 193cm Lotus 138s?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    One thing we are able to do with our current bag is shove it from the trunk to the dash of a economy rental car, or, pack it away really small. The tip to the bag is meant to be collapsable and minimally padded.

The fall line is padded the same top to bottom. It's just a rectangular box made with an outer fabric, about 1/2" of foam, and inner fabric. The top 2/3rds can be folded up, but probably not rolled. The bottom 1/3rd has rubber bumpers on the bottom and maybe a plastic plate in there for rigidity.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    The 190 fits my 196 Protests and 192 GPOs together.

Sweet, and that answers my other question. I can cough up $130ish

The concourse double is a good size bag, and can accommodate 200 cm skis. Although its a soft bag, it won't pack away really small. If your interested, take a look at it on the Dakine website.

I wouldn't get a "light" bag for air travel.
    The Dakine Concourse is nice. I think I had one once. Burly. Should last more than 10 trips. That's fucking bullshit. Like all High Sierra bags.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

I used my Fall Line in a compact car with my 193 Bent Chetlers. No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I wouldn't get a "light" bag for air travel.
    The Dakine Concourse is nice. I think I had one once. Burly. Should last more than 10 trips. That's fucking bullshit. Like all High Sierra bags.
    Light bags + 30 or 35 pounds or so of skis and gear seems to pass. A concourse + a pile of gear likely gets you a charge. The concourse is tough as nails - but light wins if you hope to avoid the luggage charge discussion.

The concourse weighs 12.5 lbs, so you have 37.5 pounds before you get to the max limit of 50 lbs at check in.

Light wheeled double ski bag?

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    The Dakine Fall Like Double is what you want. Smaller and lighter than the Concourse. The 190 fits my 196 Protests and 192 GPOs together.

You can pack it with two pairs of skis, poles, gear, etc as you describe fine. With another bag for boots and helmets.

But... I normally pack it with one pair of skis laid flat side by side... Then I can fit my helment, boots, and all my stuff for a long weekend and only have to deal with one bag.
    This. I love mine too. Fits my 202cm 138s with some 186 Renegades and a ton of other gear just fine. Comes in around 8lbs empty.

I have a fall line double $60 pick up in Utah
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d-tons-of-GEAR!!!
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Dakine fall line double is very indestructible. I've got one and the Toronto airport has yet to damage it over a bunch of flights.

Excellent timing on this thread.
    Went with the 190.

Ordered one yesterday as well.

Former Concourse owner now Fall Line owner: Fall Line is excellent, durable and far lighter. Do not regret switching.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Former Concourse owner now Fall Line owner: Fall Line is excellent, durable and far lighter. Do not regret switching.
    This is the route I am taking once my Double Concourse dies (if ever)... Absolutely love the bag and it has been durable as hell, but once I load my 2 pairs of 190 somethings in them the bag is not to far from the 50 lb weight limit...

Same boat here, the concourse just keeps going after many many trips including several to Europe.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

No doubt the Concourse is built to last. I've never seen a tough piece of luggage of any kind. But that five-ish pounds is a heavy price if you are on the cusp with 2 pair + gear. And IME it s a pain to wheel as it has no sort of structure.

I had no idea the Fall Line was so light. Worth knowing.

If they could make the Douchebag a shade tougher at the same weight, that'd be tough to beat... Especially because if you take only one pair the design makes it easy to pack a ton of other stuff.

We own the Fall line double and the Douchebag. The DB is expensive and not durable. The ¾ length zipper is annoying, it's finicky to pack, and you have to remember to remove the handle before it goes on the plane. It's just not nearly as convenient as the Double Fall Line and their weights aren't that different. It does roll up, but the Fall Line folds in half just fine.

If I were to do it over again, I'd buy a second Fall Line Double in a heartbeat...and I will when the DB inevitably fails, which I suspect will be by the end of this (its second) season, depending how many times we use it.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I know there are good bags out there, but to me Dakine is the king of ski travel bags... I ended up getting two Concourse bags as an online retailer was closing and sold the bags $100 each shipped... I have yet to use the backup bag as the first one is still going strong after 5 years and close to 20 trips... They are absolutely bomber...!

Have a concourse as well and love it. Use it for water skis in the summer as well. Dakine makes bomber luggage. Just retired a rolling carry on bag I've had for 10+ years and has been on hundreds of trips. I banged it up and down stairs, over cobblestones in Europe, through mud in Central America. Have a bigger bag that I check that's even older and has taken a ton more abuse.