Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jungst View Post
    TJ! It was thirty years ago Paul Dix chased Jim Conway, Doug and I among other around Bridger all winter. He had over 900 shots of me and this one was a full page in Rolling Stone. Within two weeks Warren Miller called and I got to travel with the greatest band of skiers in the day.
    Attachment 194159
    I'd say you are all having just as much fun today!
    Ok, this is a trip report. Will I get in trouble for straying off thread?
    What a killer shot and story!

Here is a classic courtesy of Slippy to enjoy - Jungst, Coombs, Schmidt, Darren Johnson, Mickey Price.....

TJ! It was thirty years ago Paul Dix chased Jim Conway, Doug and I among other around Bridger all winter. He had over 900 shots of me and this one was a full page in Rolling Stone. Within two weeks Warren Miller called and I got to travel with the greatest band of skiers in the day.
    Attachment 194159
    I'd say you are all having just as much fun today!
    Ok, this is a trip report. Will I get in trouble for straying off thread?
    Love this shot.

Great thread. Glad you guys took some pictures back then, it's such a valuable history. Thanks for posting them and I can only hope there are more!

I've seen the team 13 video once before too, it just blows my mind to smithereens seein' how hard Bridger was shredded by the bosses back in the day on long skinny skis. Such intense and dynamic athletic movements. I often wonder how many knees were utterly destroyed there in the 70's and 80's.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Ha, yes well 9 knee surgeries later!
    I am going to put up some stuff that you will all enjoy! Old and new trips. I love this forum, it all fell off my radar a while ago.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    Great thread. Glad you guys took some pictures back then, it's such a valuable history. Thanks for posting them and I can only hope there are more!

I've seen the team 13 video once before too, it just blows my mind to smithereens seein' how hard Bridger was shredded by the bosses back in the day on long skinny skis. Such intense and dynamic athletic movements. I often wonder how many knees were utterly destroyed there in the 70's and 80's.

subscribed for vicarious badassery!

Thanks for posting Tom! I can't imagine the athletic prowess it must have taken to ski those lines @ Bridger with that gear, lines that you guys pioneered, truly impressive. Keep the stoke flowing!

Also thanks to Sam and Tavis, for providing a blueprint for a generation of skiers on the Ridge, and without whom the rich history of skiers like Tom and Doug I would not have known about.

Tony, I have a couple of those old Team 13 movies, if you have a functional VHS it would be fun to watch em.

I actually do have one! I need to catch up with the 90's again, it would be great to see that stuff... Sadly before my time out here. Cheers Tom, to reliving the old adventures, and to be stoked on all the new and different ones to come!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Bridger was and still is such an intense training ground. Nothing has gotten any wider! Just the skis.
    Here is Scot Schmidt dropping in from the old boundary line, Hidden Gully. 1988 I think! I took this from across the chute.
    Maybe earlier, the boots. Hmmm. 1985 even. What do you all think?
    Name:  44669_107951302595976_8241462_n.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  108.2 KB

I actually do have one! I need to catch up with the 90's again, it would be great to see that stuff... Sadly before my time out here. Cheers Tom, to reliving the old adventures, and to be stoked on all the new and different ones to come!

Wow, great to see an actual ski legend, Tom Jungst, posting here. Like pretty much everyone here on TGR, I loved watching the Greg Stump movies, especially the segments with Tom in them.

Tom, thanks for posting up all this good stoke !
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

What do you all think?
    Name:  44669_107951302595976_8241462_n.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  108.2 KB

I think this is great! Thanks Again
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I have wondered for some time, what touring binding setup did you guys use circa the 1980's? I know you guys weren't dropping a knee and were apparently undeterred by the Montana approaches using the alpine gear of the day. I am very curious what kind of contraption you were schlepping around to the goods on?

stoked to spend a season in montana at some point!

thanks again for the contributions!
    Last edited by byates1; 12-08-2016 at 01:32 AM.

I have wondered for some time, what touring binding setup did you guys use circa the 1980's? I know you guys weren't dropping a knee and were apparently undeterred by the Montana approaches using the alpine gear of the day. I am very curious what kind of contraption you were schlepping around to the goods on?
    \

You boot packed until securafix bindings came out in the early 80's.

I dropped a knee quite a bit! I started telemarking in '76 until I couldn't bend my knees. But, I did buy Ramer bindings, Silveretta and tried everything to avoid postholing.
    I'll create another thread maybe but Jim Conway and I made insert bindings, he skied in Cham for two seasons and I believe the Securafix was the result of them seeing our bindings. Jim did Mont Blanc, I think either solo or with Doug.
    I had very advanced Tele boots, custom leather DH boots with 68 mm toes, inserted plates and Stainless bindings I made it all in my shop to the 68mm width so I wouldn't boot out on really steep descents. I still have them on a shelf, rebuilt in late 80's and quit Tele when Plake taught me to Mono!

I had very advanced Tele boots, custom leather DH boots with 68 mm toes, inserted plates and Stainless bindings I made it all in my shop to the 68mm width so I wouldn't boot out on really steep descents. I still have them on a shelf, rebuilt in late 80's and quit Tele when Plake taught me to Mono!
    Were those the franken-boots made by that cobbler in Missoula? I got some of those in '86 or '87 after getting schooled by Whitney Thurlow and the rest of the BZN team at the World Tele's in Steamboat...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Nope, not Franken Tele, this was in '77 I had Schnee's cobbler take the soles off 1960's Race leather boots, lace up and I milled the vibram soles. They had me sign a liability waiver (like I thought about liability, they had no idea what I was doing).
    I toured with Yvon Chounard in the early 80's and he was staring at my boots, and bindings. He said, "I've been trying to get the guys at my own company to narrow the nordic norm for years!". He wondered who I was making them for. "Me" I said. That was funny. I was kind of an idiot that way honestly. I mostly cared about making my gear the best for my ski descents, not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Were those the franken-boots made by that cobbler in Missoula? I got some of those in '86 or '87 after getting schooled by Whitney Thurlow and the rest of the BZN team at the World Tele's in Steamboat...

Great thread, thanks for posting...

Do you still have some 210's hanging around?
    If so, consider this an open invitation to join us at Longboard day at Alpental.

When the snow melts, post some trials stoke too.

Thanks again Tom, its really cool to hear about how you guys adapted, invented, and evolved as skiers. You had to have a sense of ingenuity and skills as craftsmen as well as superior athletes to get the most advantage you could with the technology of the day. They must have been interesting times...."Can't bend my knees no more, better figure out a new way""!

This thread is awesome! As a latecomer to bozeman (98) I was always fascinated by the early history. Bummed my way for quite awhile working for lifelink. Thanks for posting Tom!

I think the over-used word "epic" is appropriate here.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

and quit Tele when Plake taught me to Mono!
    Would love to hear hear the background on this. Thanks for posting Tom!

Now each of these photos needs a trip report...but this is a fun one, I'm setting up to rap in to the face skiers right of the Red chute in Frazier bowl (north Bridgers). These all have proper name now. Scot Schmidt behind me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tom Jungst and Scot Schmidt.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	194885
    Maybe for Greg Stump's Groove or Ptex or Strangeglove? the Colouir suit...hmmm.

I promise! This is Glen and I at Blackcomb after mono day
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jungst and Plake Blackcomb 88.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	194886

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    Would love to hear hear the background on this. Thanks for posting Tom!

One more shot, gotta get my night skinning in...
    One of my favorite days with Coombs. NW Passage, just goofing around on the walls.
    Name:  Doug Coombs NW Passage.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  70.5 KB