Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Road Ready steel wheels?

Now that I'm an E-of-crest resident I'm gonna get a set of winter wheels with studded tires. I'm cool with steel wheels for winter use. Has anyone bought steel wheels from Road Ready? The price is right and free shipping to the lower 48.

No experience with them but Tire Rack has always treated me right. They'll ship you a complete winter package ready to go, tires mounted and all. There are plenty of discount codes floating around and if you're a member of any car forums they tend to be the sponsor of the wheel/tire section and do discounts for forum members.

I wouldn't bother with studs over here, 99.9% of the time you won't need them. A good set of dedicated winter tires for your car is more than adequate. Driving with studs for 4-5 months of the year is ridiculous, bad for the roads and studs are annoying on dry pavement. Heading into my 14th winter here and not once have I wished for studs and can't see that changing.

As far as steel wheels go, I think they're all pretty much the same. Get the ones that are the best price.

As another data point, I've had great luck with discount tire direct. I bought 2 different sets of studded snows with steel rims. They arrived quickly via UPS and were already mounted, balanced, and aired up. Just bolt 'em on and go.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

FWIW I paid $38/wheel from TireRack for steelies and Road Ready wants $53 for a similar wheel.

Thanks for the replies, will check out other sources. ETA: Tire Rack price is about the same but no free shipping so net significantly more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I wouldn't bother with studs over here, 99.9% of the time you won't need them. A good set of dedicated winter tires for your car is more than adequate. Driving with studs for 4-5 months of the year is ridiculous, bad for the roads and studs are annoying on dry pavement. Heading into my 14th winter here and not once have I wished for studs and can't see that changing.
    Thanks for the local knowledge. I might rethink re my car and get non-studded tires, but the consensus among the Eburg locals is to get studded tires for The Wife's car. No shoulders and roadside irrigation ditches.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Thanks for the replies, will check out other sources. ETA: Tire Rack price is about the same for my vehicle.

Thanks for the local knowledge. I might rethink re my car and get non-studded tires, but the consensus among the Eburg locals is to get studded tires for The Wife's car. No shoulders and roadside irrigation ditches.
    The tendency for people over here is to get studs because, well, that's what everyone does and what they've always done. The roads over here in Wenatchee are at least as bad in winter as Eburg AND we have more hills. My ex wife and my current woman are both pretty lousy drivers and they get around fine with all seasons or dedicated non-studded snows.

My experience in my trucks is that something like Duratracs or Dynapro ATMs, something with the snowflake, are all I need year round. I drive anywhere the roads are open in winter and if I need more traction the chains are going on.

In my experience the new studless snow tires are way better than studs. Traction is a little better in snow and is way better than studs when there isn't snow. Also used steel wheels are widely available. When I bought my current set the shop had 3 used wheels that were the right size and I saved a bunch just buying one new.

Okay, I'll consider soft compound ice tires for Honey's car. FTR, I've had Blizzaks on two prior cars. They worked great on ice (though lousy on dry and wet) for 20K miles and after the soft compound wore off they were the shittiest tires ever. Dunno if Bridgestone has changed things up.

Okay, I'll consider soft compound ice tires for Honey's car. FTR, I've had Blizzaks on two prior cars. They worked great on ice (though lousy on dry and wet) for 20K miles and after the soft compound wore off they were the shittiest tires ever. Dunno if Bridgestone has changed things up.
    I'd get something like a Nokian WR D3, maybe the non studded Hakkas if she will be driving up the canyons or other higher elevations that don't see sun in winter.

Thanks. I'll check those out. She will not be driving up the canyons. Most of her driving will be commuting to and from town (2-1/2 miles each way, flat) and open country that gets sun.

Different climate but Ive had 3 winter tires, blizzaks, hakka 7s studded and hakka 8s studded on a 98 Taurus, a 03 TDI Jetta Wagon and now a CRV, respectively. Stopping and cornering ability on ice is significantly better with the studs. Twice I can think of I was on studded tires and hit localized black ice from a passing freezing rain cloud. It was so slick I watched one car almost come to a stop then slide perfectly sideways due to the camber of the road. With my tires I could tell it was slick but the traction was completely predictable. Worth the money and slight decrease in dry performance (im never pushing my CRV to the limits of its dry road traction, ymmv).

I'll second the no studs. When I first hit spokaloo I had a 5.0 mustang and ran studded snows for a couple years. I got a set of yoko studless snows after those and they were far superior in every way. I drove that car for 5-6 years in heavy snow, never had a problem. Studs have more drawbacks than positives. People like them because they have been around a long time, but in reality, the new studless snows are the way to go.

Edit- you'll get better mileage out of your tires on the cold side. The colder the better, the warmer temps make these things wear quickly. I think you issues were prolly using a winter tire for all-season conditions (outside of the trips to the mountains). I get 4-5 seasons of use on snows when I run them from dec-march/april.

Pio told us all you really need is a good set of all-seasons and look how well that worked out for him.

If you really must shun his advice go with Blizzaks. I had a set on my rwd BMW when we lived in the great white north and those things were sweet. Never slid and didn't suck on dry pavement.
    I still call it The Jake.

praxis rx

it depends where you are, its gona be -18 on tuesday and the studs in 10ply haks will be a good thing to be on
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks. I'll check those out. She will not be driving up the canyons. Most of her driving will be commuting to and from town (2-1/2 miles each way, flat) and open country that gets sun.
    Yeah definitely no studs. I bet those Nokian WR D3 would be perfect for her use.

Just to through it out there, if you can find uber cheap steel wheels, tire rack will ship to many local tire shops that mount the tires for a reasonable price. It can save a lot that way. In my area I have used Big O tires for mounting tire rack rubber.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

OP needs a good floor jack, impact wrench, and multiple sets of mounted tires. Then you can have a set for each condition: winter, summer, all-season, winter with studs, racing slicks, etc.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    OP needs a good floor jack, impact wrench. . . .
    Got 'em

You can always de stud if you don't like the studs...it's like plucking turkey feathers.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Riser might be joking but I swapped tires in my garage whenever we were due for a storm and had great results. I got a system down and could have the switch from regular all seasons to studded snows done in under 20m with a basic floor jack and a dewalt 18v impact.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Not knowing what cars you're driving: I would also say no to studs. A lot of people around here (Spokane) drive on studs but mostly because that's just how it used to be and they really don't know any different. I haven't used studs in 30 years, drive all over the place to ski, including up to Revy on not well traveled roads, at times and don't find a need for studs. I have AWD which helps but still, I haven't needed or wanted studs forever. Our roads are chewed up enough without that additional wear and tear.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Riser might be joking but I swapped tires in my garage whenever we were due for a storm and had great results. I got a system down and could have the switch from regular all seasons to studded snows done in under 20m with a basic floor jack and a dewalt 18v impact.
    That's great, but why not just buy some quality non studded winter tires and leave them on through the snow season?

It makes him feel manly to use a floor jack and impact gun

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot