Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: kids powder ski

128 mantra jr in the mail for my 8 year old. He was on the 118 gotama jr last two years and it is more than adequate. So yeah, I think mid 80's waist is more than adequate.

My 11 yr old rips thru 1' powder on his mogul skis. He prefers them to the 90mm S7 Pro's that sit in the rack all winter.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Shopping summer ski deals for the kid. Thoughts on Mantra Jr vs Pinnacle Jr vs Punx Jr?

He was on 128 Gotama Jrs last season and liked them, but I can't help but think that the Pinaccle might be a better all-rounder with the rocker/camber/rocker profile compared to full rocker on the Mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Shopping summer ski deals for the kid. Thoughts on Mantra Jr vs Pinnacle Jr vs Punx Jr?

He was on 128 Gotama Jrs last season and liked them, but I can't help but think that the Pinaccle might be a better all-rounder with the rocker/camber/rocker profile compared to full rocker on the Mantra.
    i suppose it depends on your/their objectives,
    when I had some, full rocker skis let me get away with being a real lazy skiier. wiggle turns are a whole lot easier and more relaxing and fun when youre just stuffing around doing nothing. sounds great for trying to encourage someone to get out there more, and for a nice confidence boost. but when things get technical i found them very wanting and frustrating tho.
    i also didnt like the effect it had on my style and didnt like reinforcing bad habits, so im quite opinionated against them. imo it was a 2010 fad that that should live in the same eccentric category as ski blades.
    early rise rocker camber rocker in pow is like a deer bounding around in long grass, vs full rocker which is like a meteor crash plowing into the earth with some occasional direction change.

It's worth noting that not all "full rocker" is created equal. The Mantra Jr rocker profile is basically the same as the rocker profile on the Rossi Sickle, which is funnest shreddingest ski I've ever owned.

ETA:

Sickles in action. I'm gonna break these skis one day and I'll cry when I do.

kids powder ski

IMO full rocker skis can allow you to ski lazier, yes, but they really come to life at higher speeds when they’re being flexed enough to provide rebound, like above.