Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: kids powder ski

kids powder ski

Looking for a kids powder skis. Our seven year old granddaughter is a ripper, skis just about everything at Alta. She is currently on Moment Carson's which she loves but they are marginally too short. She is also a racer so she has race boards that can double as her everyday skis on groomers. I wanted to get her the Moment Zephyr in 130 Cm which is 101 underfoot but Moment is sold out in that size. I have asked and they will not be making the Zephyr this season. Moment makes honest to good "real" kids skis. Wood core with fiberglass and carbon fiber stringers above and below the aspen / pine core. They also have an additional reinforced layer where the bindings mount. It seems like most kids skis have (IMO) crappy foam cores.

Does anyone else make a wood core powder ski for kids?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    armada tantrum or trip j
    we only gots 155
    but id imagine they make a smaller
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

The Tantrum shortest length is 138 CM, a little long for a 7 year old, anything else out there?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    The Tantrum shortest length is 138 CM, a little long for a 7 year old, anything else out there?
    That's a tough bill to fit, most anything under 140 (from what I've seen) will usually have some kind of composite core to keep the PP w/o bindings under $300 as well as remaining soft enough so the kiddos can flex em.

Quote Originally Posted by sicktird View Post
    That's a tough bill to fit, most anything under 140 (from what I've seen) will usually have some kind of composite core to keep the PP w/o bindings under $300 as well as remaining soft enough so the kiddos can flex em.
    Sucks as Moments Zephyr comes in 130, 146 and 158 but they only have 146's. I contacted them and they are not making any this year. You may be right about higher quality pushing the price point too high. Seems odd that with all the rippers I see that there is not anything out there, is what it is.

Too bad the Charlie Murphy's from ON3P only come in 141 and 151, they look like solid boards for a ripping kiddo....

Sucks as Moments Zephyr comes in 130, 146 and 158 but they only have 146's. I contacted them and they are not making any this year. You may be right about higher quality pushing the price point too high. Seems odd that with all the rippers I see that there is not anything out there, is what it is.
    That's a bummer, sounds like Moment is in the process of changing some ownership/leadership roles so that answer might be more related to a staffing issue than availability—we're right in the gut of the selling season, so they're probably concentrating on hittng the $ellers. Kids skis are kind of an after thought for most mfg's and from my understanding can be a real PITA to make w/o major tolerance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by sicktird View Post
    That's a bummer, sounds like Moment is in the process of changing some ownership/leadership roles so that answer might be more related to a staffing issue than availability—we're right in the gut of the selling season, so they're probably concentrating on hittng the $ellers. Kids skis are kind of an after thought for most mfg's and from my understanding can be a real PITA to make w/o major tolerance issues.
    We have seven pairs of Moments in the family, five different models and not one complaint. We might wait another year and hope they produce the Zephyr for 2017 -2018. Here is our granddaughter last March, day after she turned 7, hiked into Catherine's at Alta to find some hidden POW. She can handle a powder ski.
    Name:  Allisonpictoftheday.jpg
Views: 3098
Size:  165.8 KB

Praxis Le Petit
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Praxis Le Petit
    143 CM is the shortest Le Petit, a little too long.

Volkl makes real kids skis. Mantra Jr?

I was thinking the Volkl Shiro Jr, but it's shortest is 143cm.

Mantra Jr. has a 86mm waist, but is available in 118/128/138/148/158

Mantra Jr. is probably a pretty good choice, I have 2 kids on it now.

Like Volkl's, will take a look

The Mantras are only 83 underfoot. Moment Carson's she is on now are 82, move up to 130 CM and they are 84. Unless one of the other Indy's has something I would guess we are shit out of luck.

Does a 7 year old need anything wider than 83?

kids powder ski

My kids were on volkl gotama jrs last year - the 7 yo was on 128. Definitely wood core and a nice flex for kids but at 86mm waist sounds like may be skinnier than you looking for and it seems the new mantra jr may have replaced it anyway.
    Honestly though i'm not sure how much wider than mid 80's, maybe 90ish the smaller kids need or can handle. Also in hindsight i'm not a huge fan of full rocker on kids skis - if i were buying again i'd look for healthy tip rocker and some camber underfoot but YMMV. Things like fischer ranger jr and nordica enforcer s look really good to me but again too long for your 7yo and skinnier than other things you looking at.

Line bacon shortys or k2 shreditors mini? Both are full wood core 100mm plus kid skis.

4frnt grom / gromette & YLE Coyote

kids powder ski

My daughter just grew out of some K2 Bad Seed 129s that have a 85mm waist, camber, tip rocker, wood core and Tyrolia bindings. Great shape. Same ski as Shreditor 85s. PM me if you're interested.

We have seven pairs of Moments in the family, five different models and not one complaint. We might wait another year and hope they produce the Zephyr for 2017 -2018. Here is our granddaughter last March, day after she turned 7, hiked into Catherine's at Alta to find some hidden POW. She can handle a powder ski.
    Hell yeah, you're a good grandpa!!! I would imagine they'll refill their stock over the summer after they restructure the company.
    http://blistergearreview.com/feature...on-moment-skis

I agree with armada Tripple j may be a little big. Maybe Salomon rocker 2 Jr at 140cm may be a little big still

Praxis MVP Jr. comes in 120 and 130.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Does a 7 year old need anything wider than 83?
    Nope. If a 140cm ski is too long, 90mm is likely too wide. Nothing like totally shutting down their progression before they hit 10 years old.

Just because someone rips at 7 years old, does not mean they can't get a lot better. I'm sure someone with 1/3 the weight and much lower cg of an assault male will get plenty of float out of a rockered 80-90mm ski. If you want to move their edges way out where they can't find them, be my guess.

Honestly, a 100mm ski is both totally unnecessary and likely counter productive. It makes about as much sense as those 159 and 169 Pontoons K2 produced.

https://www.icelanticskis.com/collec...antic-scout-75

Icelantic Scout 133cm 110/75/100

got friends who are happy with Icelantic

good luck. I think there is a pair of Zephyrs out there If you put in the leg work...

I tend to agree with Xavier. I've got an 8- and two 6-year olds, and they're all on 79-82mm waisted skis. I have a pair of 138 cm Mantra Jr.s waiting for the oldest (probably until next year) that are 86mm in the waist, and that's as wide as I think I'd go for that age/size. Those 50-lbish buggers float over everything.