Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43
Results 1,051 to 1,062 of 1062
    http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf...e-history-golf

Bones: Greller gave 'most critical yardage' in history

By

Ryan Lavner

July 25, 2017, 8:42 am

Jim Mackay needed to make some tough calls while on Phil Mickelson's bag for 25 years. But even Bones was blown away by the role that caddie Michael Greller played during the most critical moment at this year’s Open Championship.
    With Jordan Spieth miles right of the 13th fairway, and facing a third shot from the driving range, there was a disagreement in yardage between player and caddie. Spieth thought he needed 3-wood and a 270-yard shot.
    “Buddy,” Greller told him, “you’re 230 to the front.”
    Spieth caught his 3-iron a little fat, but he still cleared the gorse bushes on the right side and stayed short of a greenside pot bunker. He got up-and-down for bogey, kick-starting his sprint to this clubhouse.
    “You could make the argument that was the most critical yardage ever given to a player in the history of golf,” Mackay, who now works as an on-course reporter for NBC Sports, said Tuesday on "Morning Drive".
    “Jordan is off the grid there, and Michael, once they found the ball, had to go to the top of the dune, he’s got to eyeball it back to the ball, he’s got to eyeball it toward the green, add it up, and give it to his man with hopefully the right line. If he gets that wrong, and the ball goes into a bunker or into a gorse bush, they are in a lot of trouble.
    "What Michael did there, in his little piece, because obviously he’s not hitting the shot, is one of the most amazing things a caddie has ever done.”
    On Sunday night, Spieth applauded Greller for giving him the proper yardage.
    “If you asked me who has the better yardage, myself or Michael in a lot of situations when we’re on a crazy angle, I’d pick myself,” he said. “But on that one he seemed very confident. He was very adamant about what club to hit, and it gave me the confidence to hit it, because sometimes when that happens I’ll still go with what I think. But he was right on.”

^^^ That pretty well answers why a lot of golfers say we instead of I...

Hale Irwin, who was playing with Ballesteros at Lytham in ’79 suggested Monday that it’s time for golf to have some kind of shot-clock. “Once the ball is in play, regardless of how tough the shot may be, there should be a limit on how long you can take. You’re a professional, YOU put yourself in that situation. There should be a limit on how long you can take to get yourself out of it.”

2017 PGA TOUR THREAD

Irwin should get off his own fucking lawn. Spieth was following procedures- the formal drop before the move, etc. not to mention moving a shit load of spectators out of the way. That's what really took a lot of time. You can't punish a player for that. How about we all just deal with reality and stop being a bunch of pussies? And credit to Kuch who clearly understands this.

Kuch was complimentary and all class as usual. Jordan and his caddy were genius in their use of the full course, boundaries, rules and measurements on their way to victory.

So much fun to watch.

Kuch has my vote for player of the year with his performance at Augusta and the Open alone. Not that it matters.
    I still call it The Jake.

kuch has my vote for favorite player as he led me to a sweet $400 last weekend
    heart of a lion, hungry as hippo

Bernhard Langer and his long putter will be back in the spotlight this week at the Senior Open at Royal Porthcawl.
    The 59-year-old told The Telegraph on Wednesday that it is “hurtful” some would accuse him of still anchoring his putter against his sternum, which was outlawed by golf’s governing bodies in 2016.
    Golf Channel analyst Brandel Chamblee has been one of the most ardent critics of Langer and fellow ex-anchorer Scott McCarron, who have combined to win three of the four majors this year. The USGA has defended both players.
    “I personally don’t understand it,” Langer told The Telegraph, “because I’m a man of integrity, and the last thing I want to do is break rules and be known for cheating. I’m not touching any part of my body, and I know I’m within the rules. I have conferred with the rules officials on a regular basis, and they have wholeheartedly said, 'You’re not breaking any rule.' You have a few people who question my integrity, which is really hurtful.”
    Langer has enjoyed one of the best years of his over-50 career, winning three times (including two majors, which pushed him past Jack Nicklaus for the most senior majors all time), finishing second twice and posting four other top-10s in 12 starts. With more than $2 million in earnings, he is more than $600,000 ahead of McCarron on the money list.
    “It’s human to be jealous, let’s put it that way,” Langer said, according to the report. “If I was 180th on the money list, I don’t think anybody would be talking about it. But I’ve been No. 1 the last few years.”

In golf terms, Kuchar is a competitive ATM, having finished in the top 10 on 90 occasions in his career and he’s earned more than $40 million to rank 13th on the all-time cash list. That total puts him ahead of the likes of Justin Rose, Jason Day, Bubba Watson and Rory McIlroy.
    But on Sunday as he made his way to the scoring hut, his head spinning and his title chances finally dashed with a closing bogey, it wasn’t Kuchar’s desire that was broken, just his heart.
    Kuchar’s wife, Sybi, and children, Cameron and Carson, were supposed to be in Colorado, but they’d flown to Southport, England, for the final round and were waiting for him. Kuchar called it a “teary surprise.”

Spieth, who had just claimed the third leg of the career Grand Slam with his epic finish, noticed.
    “I think Cameron is his oldest, he was in tears,” Spieth said. “At that moment I'm so happy. And at the same time I see that and I thought to myself, man, put this in perspective, he's a dad. I'm not a dad, I don't think that way. And I was able to kind of get a little glimpse into what that's like.

dude, I can't read the gray font on a blue screen 4 shit.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

better? it looks normal on a white background.

Yes, my tiny brain thanks you.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

i switched to blue. i had it blue on my phone and it's easier on the eyes.