Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I'd take a look at the traditional utility companies in the area you want to live in. They aren't going to be cutting edge but you may be able to get in the door peddling the energy efficiency stuff and gradually transition over to something more related to the storage/renewable areas.

A lot of utilities are starting to look at large scale storage projects for the purposes of smoothing out demand spikes and addressing reliability issues.

You won't make the coin you're making now but the benefits and work life balance will make up for some of the lost revenue. You also may be able to work out of a satellite office that will put you closer to the mountains and allow a lower cost of housing.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ lol... pop-ups are so 2005. ;-) if you want to get modern just blame us for click bait.
    So you caused the downfall of society? I would oddly take SOME satisfaction in that.

That is a lot of money for a 30-year old. And I can totally relate to the notion to suck it up for 10 years and get out wealthy. The flip side is that 10 years is a long time to do something you don't enjoy, and you wouldn't be running through the trouble of an alias and posing this question to the ignorant masses if that 10-year stretch seemed like white collar prison to a death row inmate.

And the ascendancy of Trump has also brought in an uptick in donations to the non-profit sector. There's no need to be in a rush, but put your resume together and start poking around.

I'm a customer of these guys: https://enphase.com/en-us we have their microinverters and management software, we don't have their storage products because we have net metering (i.e. the meter runs backwards when more power is being generated than is being used) and a generator so we don't really need storage at this point but most places don't have net metering. I'm impressed with the stuff of theirs I use, you might check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by mc089a View Post
    Wow, thanks for the advice everyone. I really like the idea of working with energy storage. TLSA would be a dream to work for, just not sure I'd want to live in the Bay Area.

Anyone know of energy storage or solar tech (not installation) companies in WA or CO?
    First, an ad/mktg guy looking to change in order to benefit the world? Shit, what's the world coming to...

I don't know what your comfort level is, earning requirements, or your propensity for risk but, here's a start-up company that, in my opinion, needs a strong marketing person who can grasp complex engineering concepts and convert that into semi-lay discussion terms. They're located in Liberty Lake, WA, adjacent to the Idaho border just east of Spokane.

I'm not sure they could pay much but the upside could be huge with significant stock options. They started with the concept of developing an electrically powered jet engine and fixed wing drone. However, due to myriad challenges and regulatory approvals, they've pivoted to their secret sauce of advanced battery technology, not unlike TSLA but, purportedly, a stronger technology. Flying is a longer-term goal but not currently on the table. If you're seriously interested, PM me and I will get you in touch with them. Here's their website and below is their elevator speech....Well, the video is protected but you can hit the link to see it.

http://www.electrijet.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Uh... you're looking towards sustainability and renewable energy right before President Chump comes into office? My guess is a lot of those companies are scared for their lives right now.
    As someone who has worked in renewables for 8 years. We don't give a fuck about trump.

The levelized cost of energy is to a point where wind almost has parity with fossil fuels, and the subsidies are already ramping down for a 2020 cessation.
    I personally manage the control and data aquisition systems for 40 sites, and I'm scheduled to commision at least 6 more a year for the next 4 years. We are closing deals left and right. Once bulk storage systems meet the needs of the grid, iit will be a game changer.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    And holy shit, I thought my job was soul sucking. You're 30 OP, GTFO while you can! You too TJ, you can't be over 40. GET OUT!!! RUUUUN!!!
    I think you misunderstand. We're mostly an internet technology and product development company. It's far from soul sucking anymore than most jobs are. Soul sucking is grinding it out for some corporation and barely getting paid.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    So you caused the downfall of society? I would oddly take SOME satisfaction in that.
    Heh. Actually, in truth we can thank Google, Facebook and Yahoo for the click-baiting of the internet. If so inclined, those three companies could kill off 80% of it overnight, maybe more. But they're making money so they won't. We're just a little company along for the ride and will follow the market in whichever direction it heads.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    As someone who has worked in renewables for 8 years. We don't give a fuck about trump.

The levelized cost of energy is to a point where wind almost has parity with fossil fuels, and the subsidies are already ramping down for a 2020 cessation.
    I personally manage the control and data aquisition systems for 40 sites, and I'm scheduled to commision at least 6 more a year for the next 4 years. We are closing deals left and right. Once bulk storage systems meet the needs of the grid, iit will be a game changer.
    That's good news, and I was just being pessimistic... I certainly hope the renewable/sustainable energy landscape is about to explode, because I'm a full supporter of using that over fossil fuels. It's just that some of the ideas and policies I've heard Trump spew over the last 18 months are downright concerning and scary.

And OP, I'm pretty sure I know who you are... just go start your own company like you mentioned a couple of years back. It's a lot more fulfilling, and you'll enjoy life WAY more than you do now. Your travel schedule is ridiculous, I can't believe you haven't completely burned out already.

Check out green startup incubators. Here's an example of one: http://greentownlabs.com

Go to the networking events, get to know the founders. Eventually one of the member companies will raise some $$$ and need consulting help.

Quote Originally Posted by mc089a View Post
    Alright, another alias career thread. I'm a long time mag and I don't want my mag friends to know my income. Not that I make a ton, but I keep a low profile and drive an old car, etc. Sorry in advance for all the corporate speak.

Stats-

Age- 30
    Income- $130k/year, going up towards $140k+ for next year. I have a small amount of stock options worth about $30k that I'll exercise next year in addition to my annual comp, so I should pull in about $170k in 2017.
    Current Industry- Advertising technology.
    Position- Mid-senior level. I'm second in command of a small team of SMEs in a rapidly growing part of my company and industry. There are only 4 of us on the team (I have one direct report underneath me), but our area of the business will generate many millions in profit this year.
    Location- Rocky mountain west.
    Education- BS in Business, self-taught in markup languages (HTML, CSS, etc) and I'm one of the best people in my organization at learning and retaining industry technical information.

Situation-
    My current role would be a dream job to many. I have a $50k/year expense account and travel all over the world to grow the small section of the business that I'm responsible for. I travel a lot to Asia and Europe, and I spend a bit of time in Africa and Australia as well. I just got my expense account bumped to $70k per year for next year so I can focus more on international opportunities going forward. I do everything from speaking at conferences and events to sales engineering work with our BD teams, to developing new business processes, to training staff in new markets.

So, why am I thinking about a change? At its core, my job is focused on driving targeted consumer demand for mass market goods. Demand for the technology my company develops is growing rapidly in emerging markets. As the disposable income grows in places like SE Asia, China, Africa, etc advertisers and brands want newly wealthy (by relative standards) consumers in these markets to spend money on western brands. My department is driving 10 billion ad impressions a year towards expanding our current system of western consumerism. Basically, my job is destroying the world.

I've been thinking a lot about it and I want to use my time, energy and brainpower towards being part of a solution to make the world a better place.

So, I'm looking for info and/or ideas on how to pivot towards the renewable energy sector. I'm really interested in research and development of new technologies. Had I not gone into business, I probably would have gotten a geology or some other kind of earth sciences degree. As stated above I don't have an advanced degree in a scientific field. I'm a really good teacher, I'm really good at retaining technical information and understanding complicated systems.

Any mags in the renewable energy or sustainability industry have ideas what roles in your industry may be a good fit for me? Thanks for the help and advice, mags.
    I quit being a ski bum to walk this track. Don't quit your day job to find a "sustainability" job. Stick with what you know, and take your skills to a sustainable company or industry that you want to work in.

The best thing you can do is carve out a niche for yourself in your current company, where you know what their pain points on environmental impact are. Work from within to show the benefits, and make a name for yourself as the sustainability guy, don't expect to parachute into some company and be the sustainability savior. Its not going to happen. You have to know the industry.

Renewable energy needs advertising too. With a republican dominated congress and Trump in the white house, renewable energy is going to need to get to work on drumming up good PR fast. Most people have no idea that there are more people working in RE than in coal in the US right now, or that the price has fallen 80% since 2008, or many other things about the industry. Don't want to do RE? Other companies like Unilever, Starbucks, Patagonia, etc, etc all have their sustainability stuff at the forefront of the marketing campaigns and brand identity. The job market for jobs with "sustainability" in the title is pretty small, and you aren't likely to make the same kind of income. Jobs in sustainable companies are out there, but they have the same job titles as every other company.

Don't get a sustainability degree and expect to work in RE, or become a chief sustainability officer over night. If you really want to work in renewable energy right now, you need to either be an engineer or a finance guy, or an installer making ~$18 an hour.

This is my field, and the job market is a bitch. For more, check out greenbiz.com, triplepundit.com. Look up Shannon Houde (who will tell you to network!) and Ellen Weinreb. Both are sustainable job recruiters. PM if you want more information about my experience in the field.

I haven't read any of the other stuff in the thread yet.

Quote Originally Posted by saukit View Post
    Learn about battery technology. The big problem with renewable energy sources is that it is difficult to store excess energy for times when the sun isn't out or the wind isn't blowing.

Even the slow moving utility companies are starting to realize that pipes and wires won't be around forever and that batteries and solar/wind are the future.

There are a lot of people working on this. I wouldn't think that someone of your talents would have a hard time finding a good gig.
    Do you have a masters in Electrical or mechanical engineering? Ooops, your resume just went in the trash. If it isn't from a top school and followed by experience, you probably didn't make it past the ATS at TSLA. I've got a friend who works there. Female engineer, masters in engineering, worked at Volkswagen making their trucks drive themselves for a few years. Thats the background that gets you in at TSLA.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I have a passion for energy efficiency. I worked in the industry for ten years and am currently falling back into it. Having watched it up close since 1990, I see renewables as wide open. Fast paybacks write their own tickets for success. There are low cost high payback technologies still waiting to be discovered. There's all kinds of direction from the wizards of the day.

Sergey Brin does grants for new tech on all kinds of fronts - on one condition - that it's something that virtually everybody will use. Energy is certainly one of those things. What Elon Musk is about to do with solar and storage will change our world. The widespread implementation of his batteries will change the demand patterns for power, erasing what they call the 'duck curve', a graph that represents the peak/off peak cycles on the grid that looks like a duck. I love this shit. There's radical tech out there that's been buried by Big Oil that is due to resurface. It's wide open as long as there are roi's and it's self sustainable.

I'm looking at a job retrofitting a bunch of government buildings for max efficiency and another marketing sustainability through cyber security and critical infrastructure protection compliance to every generation plant that supplies the bulk energy system, i.e., the grid. Having kinda kept my finger on the pulse of energy related things, I'm seeing it opening more and more opportunity, much like it did in the mid-90s and at a pace almost akin to the pot industry, something else Trump could put a damper on. Gimme a shout if you want to talk about it.
    Splat knows what hes talking about. (I shouldn't be surprised, I know).

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    First, an ad/mktg guy looking to change in order to benefit the world? Shit, what's the world coming to...

I don't know what your comfort level is, earning requirements, or your propensity for risk but, here's a start-up company that, in my opinion, needs a strong marketing person who can grasp complex engineering concepts and convert that into semi-lay discussion terms. They're located in Liberty Lake, WA, adjacent to the Idaho border just east of Spokane.

I'm not sure they could pay much but the upside could be huge with significant stock options. They started with the concept of developing an electrically powered jet engine and fixed wing drone. However, due to myriad challenges and regulatory approvals, they've pivoted to their secret sauce of advanced battery technology, not unlike TSLA but, purportedly, a stronger technology. Flying is a longer-term goal but not currently on the table. If you're seriously interested, PM me and I will get you in touch with them. Here's their website and below is their elevator speech....Well, the video is protected but you can hit the link to see it.

http://www.electrijet.com/

See, this is the way to go- take your current skills and put them to use for a company achieving something you believe in.

If you want to learn more about renewable energy, read Greentechmedia.com, utilitydive.com, and anything by David Roberts at Grist.org (old stuff) or Vox.com (new stuff). Reading him will do a lot to get you up to speed on the industry. But again, its a tough nut to crack. Also, if you are the podcasting type- Greentech Media has a great podcast called "The Energy Gang". Good way to start to understand the business quickly.

For a good reading list, look up creating Climate Wealth by Jigar Shaw, anything by Hunter or Amory Lovins, read Ray Anderson (former CEO of Interface carpets-passed away now), and Natural Capitalism.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but my experience has been challenging, and so I'm trying to help you skip that part and learn from my suffering. PM if you want to talk about it.
    Last edited by Edgnar; 11-30-2016 at 07:33 PM.

I just read about some guys who figured out that if they encapsulate nuclear waste in zirconium it emits an electrical charge. They're thinking drone and satellite power for starters. I thought that was a hell of a leap.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I just read about some guys who figured out that if they encapsulate nuclear waste in zirconium it emits an electrical charge. They're thinking drone and satellite power for starters. I thought that was a hell of a leap.
    Yeah, same kind of leap as Electrijet. That's why we persuaded them to pivot to being an advanced battery company, first. They have the drone design complete already but not the cash to get it into production, never mind the regulatory piece. Baby steps....

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    Do you have a masters in Electrical or mechanical engineering? Ooops, your resume just went in the trash. If it isn't from a top school and followed by experience, you probably didn't make it past the ATS at TSLA. I've got a friend who works there. Female engineer, masters in engineering, worked at Volkswagen making their trucks drive themselves for a few years. Thats the background that gets you in at TSLA.
    If you want to be an engineer, then sure you need the degrees and the technical resumes. However someone needs to sell all this amazing new technology. Engineers don't sell very well in my experience.

Y'all been trolled by this douche. Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Rednaked View Post
    Y'all been trolled by this douche. Obvious
    Yeah, and he got a reasonable discussion of sustainable energy, what an epic troll. Right?

dumfuk

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yeah, and he got a reasonable discussion of sustainable energy, what an epic troll. Right?

dumfuk

Yet Another Career Thread- Moving Towards Sustainability, Renewable Energy, etc

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

dumfuk
    Yup, a "30" year old is gunna make $170k next year but wants to "leave it all behind..." and live in a tiny house with some smelly fat chick with hair under her arms and live a "sustainable life"

Damn you thick bro

Fine, it's the world's most boring troll.

some jelly redneck

Just catching up on this 'troll.' Agree with many above that the susty and RE industries don't give a F about Trump. I've seen a redoubling of commitment since the election among my clients. Original alias poster, PM me for my LinkedIn profile. Happy to introduce you to anyone in my network. I've been in sustainability consulting for ~15 years, have a lot of good connections (some stronger than others).

^^^yeah yeah yeah
    Bawhaha I make more that all y'all