Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tech Binding - Toe pin shear

Been around these parts for a little bit at least, and never heard of this issue.

Anyone ever seen a toe pin on a tech binding shear? The pin literally broke into two, with 1 piece still in the binding jaw, and the other piece somewhere lost in the snow... Happened while skinning which seems strange.

Sort of just curious of other people's experiences. From wear/tear? Pin was already defective?

Never heard of it, what binding toe was it? One of the pins with the groove to let snow/ice out more easily?

Never seen it nor heard of it. Could be a bad heat treat. What brand and model?

I think usually an arm will break before the pin in the arm breaks

sounds like defective mfg

all Dynafit pins have clearing slots at 3 & 9 o'clock so you just don't see them from above
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Wasn't mine, buddy's kingpin 13. Bindings are still laying around so I should take a pic. They are new enough that it's a warranty issue, just curious if anyone's heard/seen it before.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think usually an arm will break before the pin in the arm breaks
    This. Tech toe pin of proper spec (tool steel, properly heat treated) is the strongest link in the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    Wasn't mine, buddy's kingpin 13. Bindings are still laying around so I should take a pic. They are new enough that it's a warranty issue, just curious if anyone's heard/seen it before.
    It's part of the break-in period on any Marker binding.

all the pins fell out on the very 1st production of Kingpins which Marker fixed, but you say the pin actualy broke in Two??

^ Correct, not the pin falling out issue that everyone else saw. Base part of the pin was very much solid in the binding.

Never seen this, but I had a friend lose a ski in sluff this weekend due to his kingpins practically exploding. Both the pins fell out of the one ski he recovered shortly after. I wouldn't buy kingpins.

Reviving this thread to see if anyone else had this issue. Just happened to me today following a little crash where both ski released (Kingpin 13, 2017). Seems like the toe pin broke in two.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180115_110512.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	844.0 KB 
ID:	221406

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    Someone pointed out this failure mode in the Kingpin thread a couple of weeks ago (also with a picture).

I just realized that the original post on this thread is from November, 2016. The recent report is from a few weeks ago, so the failure spans 2 or 3 generations.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-15-2018 at 07:46 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Yeah mine did the same thing. In-bounds, no unusual stressors. This is a Marker problem, not a tech problem. And a big one at that. Maybe a good thing they're in Limbo from a legal standpoint atm.

Hmm first the press fitting failed now shearing pins. Any chance we can get a look inside at the metal? Last user with this issue the metal looked super pitted like a bad mold or something. Glad you didn't get hurt.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bragelonne View Post
    Reviving this thread to see if anyone else had this issue. Just happened to me today following a little crash where both ski released (Kingpin 13, 2017). Seems like the toe pin broke in two.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180115_110512.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	844.0 KB 
ID:	221406
    This failure looks extremely similar to the one pictured in the Kingpin Charging thread (Edit to add; from what can be seen in this pic, a fatigued area and a final fracture area of similar size and localisation in both cases). I still stand by my point of view of this being a fatigue failure, and if it is, this won't be the last one we'll see I'm afraid.

Too bad the initiation point normally is recessed within the jaw, making visual inspections for hairline cracks without disassembling the pin extremely hard to perform.

Marker kingpin 13

Last week skiing at jackson my pin sheared off. I was lucky and noticed it before I was in a no fall zone,did not get hurt. Did not ski it once I noticed sheared pin,freaked me out and no longer will ski on these and lost all confidence in binding.
    6’2”, 195 lbs, boots are the Salomon QST 120.

Has anyone had this happen that doesn't use the binding in bounds? I am not suggesting that makes failure acceptable just looking for data points.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

In my buddy's case, don't think he ever skied inbounds with them.

Quote Originally Posted by harpoon52 View Post
    Last week skiing at jackson my pin sheared off. I was lucky and noticed it before I was in a no fall zone,did not get hurt. Did not ski it once I noticed sheared pin,freaked me out and no longer will ski on these and lost all confidence in binding.
    6’2”, 195 lbs, boots are the Salomon QST 120.
    What binding please.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ngpin-charging

this thread has more on the kingpin ^^ not only are they breaking pins but heel pieces too

I got a local bud at the hill who has broken 3 pins and a heelpiece this season, the first time he broke a pin the dealer called marker to make sure it would be warranty but now the dealer just replaces the parts right away no questions asked

Is it my imagination, or have tech bindings got continually heavier and less reliable since the TLT/Comfort generation of Dynafits?

Radicals have gone through at least three generations of shitty heelpieces.
    Kingpins break constantly.
    Vipecs have gone through three generations of changes. The latest generation might fix the problems, or it might not.
    G3 Ion: works OK at least but much heavier.
    Plum: slightly lighter and less reliable Dynafit TLT clones.

Honestly I see no reason at this point to buy anything but a Speed Turn or a Beast. Speed Turn = essentially the old TLT, Beast = heavy but at least it works and doesn't break. In all seriousness, can anyone convince me otherwise?

Yeah, Speed Turn 2.0 is our tech binding of choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    Speed Turn = essentially the old TLT
    Actually, Speed Turn is an improvement over TLT Classic/Speed: tougher heel base plate (less prone to cracking), longer adjustment range, no Le Bump to grind off. Speed Turn 2.0 has very nice lighter 4-screw toe, big improvement over old 5-screw toes. New Speed Turn 2.0 heels have improved riser, much easier to change modes with ski pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    Beast = heavy but at least it works and doesn't break.
    Oh, there are plenty of broken Beasts. Especially the toes on 16's. And newer Plum Guides are a solid bet. Otherwise I completely agree. Bindings keep getting more complicated and less reliable.

Totally agree with Spats, especially after going through the 1st gen Plum fiasco.

I still run verticals and the wife still runs comforts.

Dynafit got it right, or pretty darn close to right, a long time ago...a lot closer than dynafit, or anyone else, has gotten it since.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I know of at least one shop in Tahoe that has stopped carrying Kingpins because they were tired of dealing with warranty shit. Regardless of inbounds vs. BC only use, it's worth noting that Marker SOLD them that way. Do it all binding!