Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Some folks barely got out. Vibes
    watch out for snakes

Really glad y'all got that rain last night. Hell, the entirety of the drought-stricken southeast is thankful.

Absolute horror stories today about the fires and people literally fleeing the extremely fast moving fire. Can't imagine what 40-50mph winds were doing to that burn through all that dry forest.
    I still call it The Jake.

Ugh. Three confirmed fatalities

4 now. Wonder if one was the dude in the stopped car. The arsonists would face murder charges no?

Yep. Felony murder. I heard from a reliable source that there are more bodies not yet reported. Not unexpected considering the speed the fires were traveling. Potatobook is filling up with people looking for friends and family, as well as pets.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Hope they find the fuckers Ken. Truly sorry for all the loss your friends and any one else up there has suffered.

Makes me irite when I hear clueless people chime in on the national news about the fires and use it to advance some agenda or view they have. Hey dumbfuck, these fires have been burning for months - just like 100s do every year and no one hears about them because they don't hit a population center.

Saw where they had two in custody for arson.
    watch out for snakes

Any insurance mags know generally if these homes will be covered for their losses or is arson, or even a wildfire, typically something that would preclude coverage?

Heard Dolly Parton will be paying families who suffered losses $1000 per month. No clue for how long, but good on her.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Any insurance mags know generally if these homes will be covered for their losses or is arson, or even a wildfire, typically something that would preclude coverage?

Heard Dolly Parton will be paying families who suffered losses $1000 per month. No clue for how long, but good on her.
    Depends on the policy. In areas where fires are common the standard policy excludes wildfire. Then people either pay for an endorsement to cover wildfire as a cause of loss or buy a second policy that only covers losses from wildfire. My guess is that in Tennesse most policies cover it automatically.

For anyone with friends or family in the area. Video tape a walkthrough of your house pre-fire (if possible). If evacuated check your policy, it may offer reimbursement for hotels, meals, etc. If you suffer evacuation expenses or property damage file a claim with your carrier asap. Most policies now insure for relocation expenses. Ask your adjuster if you have questions about what is covered. You can ask for an advance payment, especially if you have significant damage. Depending on the state, insurers generally have about 30 days to pay you something once you officially ask or explain why they arent.

Most cover your stuff at replacement cost. I.E. If your 2008 skis are destroyed they will first pay the actual cash value of $150. Then when you buy new skis that are of "like kind and quality" for $850 they will pay you the $700 difference. If evacuated leave your shit and gtfo.

Also, be very wary of public adjusters who sign people up for 10, 15, 20% commission of the loss to be your representative. Sometimes people need them, sometimes people seriously regret hiring them.

Up to 7 dead, 700 structures destroyed or damaged, 17,000 acres involved and we didn't get enough rain to do much but slow down the fires. When the humidity goes away, the problem will repeat.

Second-hand information from some folks indicates the death toll will continue to climb. They are finding bodies lying in the roads, in houses, and in cars. The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation has set up a site specifically for missing persons from the fire.

On some better news, although slowly, FEMA may be getting involved. As in all disasters, there are tons of folks starting to put together relief in the form of food, clothing and money.

The four patrollers we know that have been affected are more than humble folks. All have said help folks that need it more than us. Several of us have started reaching out to various programs that support NSP, and so far, they have been very generous. These folks lost all of their ski/board and patrol gear.

Our friend that had the banjo business was apparently thinking about moving anyway, so this just hastened him along.

Thanks for the thoughts.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Man we got absolutely drenched in Maryland yesterday for the first time in a long while, I was hoping you guys got that too.

this is shitty news and been watching with sadness. fucking waste of life an property. hope hang those arsonist high in the bellows. hope it gets under control soon.

Edit: the speed and feroscity is hard to grasp, dam
    Last edited by hawkgt; 12-01-2016 at 08:54 PM.

Head a chilling account on the radio today of a guy and his wife who had a cabin at the top of the mountain in the OP's link. He said that by the time they got down to where that viral video starts they thought they were in the clear - it was so much worse up top.

I can't imagine how terrifying something like that must have been.

Going to drop off some supplies at a charity that's filled up 2 18 wheelers already tomorrow.

Just awful.

Up to 13 fatalities and 1,000 structures involved. And they still have not been able to get into all of the areas.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/gatli...ooks/357912872

Holy fuck those fires must have been hot. Melted the wheels off cars where they stood.

http://jalopnik.com/the-tennessee-wi...r-w-1789542112

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Holy fuck those fires must have been hot.
    Fire is hot?!? Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Fire is hot?!? Who knew?
    I've never seen aluminum rims melt in place before. First timer over here.

Two juveniles in custody and charges filed, more pending, possibly tried as adults:

http://www.11alive.com/news/2-juveni...ires/365338806

Man that sucks all the way around. Good they caught them if they did it though.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/wildf...tion/365200252

Transfer to adult court?
    Felony murder?

What is an appropriate punishment for these two shit heads? 14 people dead, 1,785 structures burned or affected.
    Life in prison?

They have elected to proceed in state court. I suspect that the feds are waiting to see what happens, after which if the sentence isn't strong enough, they will step in with charges of their own through the Park Service and U.S. Attorney's office.

We went down this weekend to volunteer. The area is flooded with volunteers. We were supposed to get put with a Search and Recovery team, but because our organizer sent us to the wrong location twice, we missed the hookup. Waited three hours and left. Sat with about 30 other folks waiting for an assignment that never came. I know it is tough, and I'm not bitching too much.

As of last Sunday, about 50 percent of the area had not been searched due to downed power lines blocking access. The scuttlebutt was that there were 60 people still unaccounted for, not necessarily deceased, but not located. The Red Cross station where I was still had about 250 residents with no where to go. Started with 2,500.

The town reopens Friday for business and to allow those with homes to return permanently. The photos I have seen are horrendous.

Lynch them. Hillbilly justice.

More unfolding. Turns out the two teens, 15 and 17, were walking along a trail striking matches and flipping them into the woods. Person nearby got a photo of them and smoke behind them. Clothes led to the arrest.

http://tasteofcountry.com/gatlinburg...arson-matches/

Aerial video of the areas burned. Sorry, it is a facebook video. Couldn't find the original online.

https://www.facebook.com/NC5Sky5HD/v...0354954998931/

Approximately 1,750 residences destroyed, almost 600 businesses. Not counting the damaged properties.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    More unfolding. Turns out the two teens, 15 and 17, were walking along a trail striking matches and flipping them into the woods. Person nearby got a photo of them and smoke behind them. Clothes led to the arrest.

http://tasteofcountry.com/gatlinburg...arson-matches/
    Wow that's fucked up.

Best part of the article was reading about what a good person Dolly Parton seems to be.