Denver Rec for Sewer Line Replacement

Need to get a couple quotes for a sewer line excavation and replacement. About 30' of line buried 2.5-3' deep.

Old line to be removed is 4" concrete with some big ass tree roots in it.

East Denver.

vibes.

Shitty situation.

Sounds like a shitastrophe
    skid luxury

Call before you dig.

Don't excavate ! Get Pipe Genie!

http://www.pipegenie.com/pipe-burst-20ton.html
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Sell the house, move to the mountains, problem solved.

If you are not in Denver proper you might consider pipe bursting. Maybe $500 more than the $3-5k you'll pay but the entire yard doesn't get trenched up.
    stay outta my line

Quote Originally Posted by TransplantedFromRMNP View Post
    If you are not in Denver proper you might consider pipe bursting. Maybe $500 more than the $3-5k you'll pay but the entire yard doesn't get trenched up.
    I am in City of Denver. Grass needs a bunch of work anyway anyway, don't give a shit if it gets trenched.

2 of my neighbors had to have their sewer lines replaced from the house to the main in the street.

They used ARS Rescue, they coordinated everything, from digging up and repaving the street. Cost them $22k each.

Another neighbor got a quote for half that price, not sure from who.

This is in highlands ranch.

Good luck

Garvin's is alright but not the cheapest.

You kind of get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    2 of my neighbors had to have their sewer lines replaced from the house to the main in the street.

They used ARS Rescue, they coordinated everything, from digging up and repaving the street. Cost them $22k each.

Another neighbor got a quote for half that price, not sure from who.

This is in highlands ranch.

Good luck
    Don't go with ARS Rescue (Rescue Rooter). Fucking scam artists.

I searched the local Nextdoor site because I knew there have been threads on this. One dude who is a very high volume realtor in Boulder said the following (about Boulder, mind you):
    I found out about 15 years ago that there are really only three companies that do this work. All plumbing companies use one of these three companies to do their work and then mark up the bill by 30% for direct profit. The two companies I would get bids from are Apex Plumbing at 303-215-1348, and Pipeline Industries at 303-696-9599
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Sorry I should have been clear I in no way recommend ARS, they are overpriced dicks.

That was the only price I knew from that mess.

3' deep and 30' long isn't that bad. Rent a mini ex and a get a sawz-all and get to work. Might lose the tree though, but you'll gain a sawz-all.

And again, call before you dig.

My neighbor does this, there are a lot more than 3 companies out there that dig it themselves.

I would not recommend my neighbor. Building his house has taken more than 2 years and the garage is 2' too close to the property line so he can't final it out. This is typical of his MO.

You could try blue book for leads then cross them with yelp. They are commercial leads so they "may" be better.
    http://www.thebluebook.com/
    ++vibes++

I wouldn't dig it myself with winter setting in and not having done it before.

I wouldn't suggest it either, but if someone quotes $22K, I would consider learning. lol.

Is there more than just the pipe in the yard? i.e. Under porch, house, etc. That's where it would get tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Don't go with ARS Rescue (Rescue Rooter). Fucking scam artists.

I searched the local Nextdoor site because I knew there have been threads on this. One dude who is a very high volume realtor in Boulder said the following (about Boulder, mind you):
    Good beta, thanks Danno. Pipeline gets real questionable reviews but Apex looks reasonably solid - called them.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    3' deep and 30' long isn't that bad. Rent a mini ex and a get a sawz-all and get to work. Might lose the tree though, but you'll gain a sawz-all.

And again, call before you dig.
    Call before you dig = duh? But I guess there's enough stupid people that it has to be said....

Definitely would consider doing the excavation myself. I'm not fucking with the actual pipe though. 1) I don't want to and 2) in Denver a licensed contractor has to do it and given that this is in my front yard flying under the radar ain't gonna happen. Plus I already have a sawzall.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    My neighbor does this, there are a lot more than 3 companies out there that dig it themselves.

I would not recommend my neighbor. Building his house has taken more than 2 years and the garage is 2' too close to the property line so he can't final it out. This is typical of his MO.

You could try blue book for leads then cross them with yelp. They are commercial leads so they "may" be better.
    http://www.thebluebook.com/
    ++vibes++

I wouldn't dig it myself with winter setting in and not having done it before.
    Referencing blue book and yelp is smart, trick is figuring out who actually does the work and who subcontracts it.

To clarify I am not going to have this done right now. I don't have $1k or $3k or $6k to just sitting around to spend on ripping up a line that is actually flowing right now. I watched the scope and there's no question there are two root blockages, one that will certainly be a problem in the future. It does not appear that I'll need to go all the way to the main in the street, thankfully.

My plan right now is to throw $20 of foaming root killer down there to hopefully stop the root growth, run some extra water whenever someone takes a shit to try to keep it clear, use the 6mo guarantee the snake people gave me if it clogs again in the near future, and do the actual replacement once I can actually pay for it. But I want to have a few companies in my back pocket now if it truly becomes an emergency situation before then.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    I wouldn't suggest it either, but if someone quotes $22K, I would consider learning. lol.

Is there more than just the pipe in the yard? i.e. Under porch, house, etc. That's where it would get tricky.
    No. There's about 2ft of concrete right next to the house that would need to go - small enough that I could easily replace myself. The rest is just grass. The area is easily accessible with excavating equipment. Pipe in the house is fine.

FWIW first quote was $6k and that seems high to me.

You'd be surprised how many don't call. But it has gotten better.

If you are going to spend the money and open the yard up you'll want to replace the entire section from the city main tap to where it ties into the sanitary line at the house. If you ever sell the property you'd need to disclose that the sewer line was repaired. May as well do the job 100% right and replace it all.
    stay outta my line

Do not try and do this yourself. Just don't. I'll pm you a master plumber here in Denver. If he can't/won't do it, then I'll give you my sewer scope guy. He'll know someone that can help too.

You're going to want permits, etc. Unfortunately it is going to cost you a lot. I did one for $17k, but we had to tear up the street.
    Denver Dirt Pimp - Feel free to hit me up with any RE questions.

Depending on the jurisdiction you may not need a permit but you should expect ~$50-60 per lineal foot for the install, maybe half that for demo and prob some contractor fees. Replacing 30' of 4" sewer line should be a half day job at most. Make sure they put tracer wire in there so it can be located. You should for sure call and schedule with the sewer district when the trench is open so they can inspect the install. Should be a pretty simple job. Your biggest problem is going to be that it's a pretty small job and anyone worth a damn is probably busy so it's not an attractive job

Update?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Update?
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    To clarify I am not going to have this done right now. I don't have $1k or $3k or $6k to just sitting around to spend on ripping up a line that is actually flowing right now. I watched the scope and there's no question there are two root blockages, one that will certainly be a problem in the future. It does not appear that I'll need to go all the way to the main in the street, thankfully.

My plan right now is to throw $20 of foaming root killer down there to hopefully stop the root growth, run some extra water whenever someone takes a shit to try to keep it clear, use the 6mo guarantee the snake people gave me if it clogs again in the near future, and do the actual replacement once I can actually pay for it. But I want to have a few companies in my back pocket now if it truly becomes an emergency situation before then.
    FWIW the second quote I got (Apex) was $3700 and that seems way more reasonable. Got a bunch of other recs here and offline but haven't had time to follow up for quotes.

It's holding up so far. Hopefully stays that way for awhile.